FTP workout uncertainy

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by vio765, Jul 9, 2006.

1. vio765

vio765 New Member

what would lead to better time trialing adaptation:
    3X20min @ ~90-95% FTP or
    2X20min @~95-100% FTP?

i have been doing the 3X20min workout for the past few weeks, but as my season is progressing towards more important races i am thinking about the 2X20min workout. i believe this is a good graduation of workload. starting out with relatively lower stress/more time and moving on to higher stress/less time. is my judgement sound? what do y'all think?
    my goals are to be proficient at time trialing (given my experience).

Tags:

2. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

I always mix in with 2x20 or 2x30 workout along with my 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes threshold work. Keep in mind that if the TT is 40k distance, you need to be able to sustain your effort for 1 hour. Doing 2x20 or 3x20 along isn't enough. But I would do the intervals a bit harder.

3. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

That's a rather complex coaching question. Some individuals may get more benefit from the former, others from the latter. Good coaches earn their pay figuring that out.

4. otb4evr

otb4evr New Member

Believe it or not, I would suggest some 3 - 5 minute VO2Max intervals twice a week, along with SST twice a week... 2 days of easy riding and 1 day of rest and you should be golden.

You can substitute an SST workout with a race, if so inclined...

This is, of course, predicated on the assumption that you have done 6 - 8 weeks of Threshold training with good base prior to that.

Let us know how you do.

Jim

5. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Personally, I would always take greater volume over greater intensity, subject to the intensity being above the threshold (i.e., 91%FT). Therefore, given your specific question, I would go for 60mins at the low end of L4 versus 40mins at the upper end of L4. But, it's good for mental strength to do a full 60min L4 effort from time to time, even if it is only 91%FT.