Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Fuel 90 or Cake 2 Deluxe

Started by singletrack · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,237 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
26 March 2004
Last activity
27 March 2004
Original author
singletrack
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,237
Views / 30 days
3
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I getting my F/S bike ASAP and am down to these 2 choices. I want to buy from my LBS because I'm no techie. They pretty much carry Fisher and Trek.

    I ride strictly XC and like the Cake 2 because it has the Manitou 3-way and Hayes hydraulic discs. Fork wise its a Manitou black super air130mm. Plus I've been riding a Fisher hardtail forever and have had few problems with it other than being god-awful heavy.

    The Trek is 400$ cheaper uses a Fox float propedal and Avid SD-3 brakes. Also has Rockshox Duke XC fork.

    I'm 5'6 and weigh 140. I usually get 3 rides in a week, and I'd say in the last 6mo I've ridden about 300 miles mostly singletrack.

    Would have looked at Giants, but couldn't find anybody nearby who sells them.

    Is the Cake worth the xtra $ because of the components? Unfortunately LBS didn't have either bike to test ride other than a Fuel 95 which I did ride but not gonna spend $2500.

    Thanks for reading this far, now answer me!

  2. The Fuel 90 is an XC race bike while the Cake2 Deluxe is an all mountain bike, if you want a Trek that does the same as the Cake why not check out the Liquid 25, same component specs as the Cake2 Deluxe but a better suspension design IMHO.

  3. yep, you got a race bike vs. all mountain bike. what kind of manitou fork is on the cake? my friend has the duke xc and its an awesome fork. i'd personally go with the trek i think

  4. Manitou Black Super Air, 120mm travel

  5. Specs I have say the fork is Manitou Black Super Air 130mm.
    I also would want to get the Genesister which dosen't come with the disc's but LBS says they would switch out and put the hayes on and change the tires for the same price.

    I did consider the Liquid but I'm trying to decide if I want more flex or less flex, that's why I was going between these two. Yesterday I was out riding and found a new trail that has a bunch of log jumps on it which I really love, and so I'm leaning towards the Cake. I would just have to adjust my riding style.

    Thanks for the thots. BTW I had the price wrong, the Trek is 200 less not 400.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.