Fuel 90 or NRS 2?

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <n/a@> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Mon, 26 May 2003 23:08:39 -0400, "Matt" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >I think MTBR gets too much of a bad rep sometimes. Yeah, there are 13 year old know-nots posting
> >reviews there, but they're pretty easy to spot. What I like to look for on the reviews are the
> >negative comments that are a common thread through multiple reviews.
>
> I know what you're saying, but why to I bag on MTBR? "The rest of the story" is missing. The size
> of a person, the person's skill level, riding experience, fitness level, local terrain, rider
> expectations, or even their mood that day, are missing. We don't even know the skill level of the
> rider or shop when it came to setting up a particular bike for the ride. Some full suspension
> designs are complicated to set up, and if done wrong, as some often are, can create a recurring
> "this bike sucks" theme.
>
> I can't recall how many times, I've read reviews there, along with roadbikereview, where one of
> the following happens:
>
> A.) The reviewer complains that an $800 has low-end components compared the the $2400 bike they
> also tested.
>
> B.) An ultralight, full race, 3" travel bike didn't handle a 3 foot drop well.
>
> C. ) A semi-active bike, like the NRS or Specialized Epic "punished" the rider through washboards,
> or a long travel bike "bobbed".
>

> How many times have you heard a bike's "reputation" repeated in a watering hole or on a trail by
> someone who's never been on it, but their "buddy" has? <G> At least there you can consider the
> source of the info.
>
> So, in the end, I simply suggest people ride every bike they are interested in, in the way they
> plan to use it,
>
> Barry

Barry, you are hereby sentenced to riding in Crested Butte for the full mountain biking season there
for using common sense on the internet. After that, you are welcome in Fruita where we can ride and
laugh at all of the touron e-tards who buy into hype and what a bunch of faceless dilweeds have to
say about **** bikes on the internet.

JD

"Matt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <n/a@> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On 26 May 2003 18:00:18 +0950, Twisties <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >i didnt look at trek because i only ever hear that they sell them for more than it is worth.
> >
> > Nothing is EVER sold for more than it's worth. <G> If an item isn't "worth" the asking price to
> > a willing buyer, it won't sell at all.
> >

> > >look at www.mtbreview.com
> >
> > Reviews posted by 13 year olds who have never even seen half the items, much less actually used
> > them, certainly are helpful!
> >
> > Barry
>
> I think MTBR gets too much of a bad rep sometimes. Yeah, there are 13 year old know-nots posting
> reviews there, but they're pretty easy to spot. What I like to look for on the reviews are the
> negative comments that are a common thread through multiple reviews. If you see something like
> that, it's probably a much more relevant piece of info. than some kid posting "This bike ROX....5
> flaming turds!!"
>
> I think mtbr.com has it's place if you know how to use it. It's just like anything else - be it a
> website, magazine, newsgroup, or even your LBS - don't take any single source as gospel. Use them
> all, and integrate it all together to come up with some relevant information.

The irrelevance of mtbr(etards) is far too lopsided to consider. Like Penny indicated, the
semi-literate dilweeds who write reviews there are far too stupid to trust. Trusting that stupidity
as far as a trail review they posted is bad enough, but trusting the spending of your hard earned
cash on a huge purchase like a bicycle is just plain foolish.

JD

> Trusting that stupidity as far as a trail review they posted is bad enough, but trusting the
> spending of your hard earned cash on a huge purchase like a bicycle is just plain foolish.
>
> JD

Just wondering; I've found at least one trail reveiew under Colorado and some pictures and comments
posted by someone who calls themself JD on mtbreview.com; you wouldn't know who that is, would you?

<[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Actually there are alot of good reviews on mtbreview.com. In some cases you do have to read
> through a bit of junk to find them, but they are there.

Not really all that different than AMB, is it.

"James Messick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> > Actually there are alot of good reviews on mtbreview.com. In some cases you do have to read
> > through a bit of junk to find them, but they are there.
>
> Not really all that different than AMB, is it.

LOL!

Dave W <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 27 May 2003 04:13:19 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Twisties <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> well soorrriieee barry!
> >>
> >> geez i was only trying to help out!
> >>
> >> if u didnt notice, Mr.knowitall (who started this thread) said: Any input would be much
> >> appreciated! Which one would you get?
> >>
> >> he asked for an opinion and i gave it to him......
> >
> >Actually there are alot of good reviews on mtbreview.com. In some cases you do have to read
> >through a bit of junk to find them, but they are there.
>
> The trail reviews aren't that bad. There's a few people I know from riding with, who post over
> there, and their reviews have pointed me towards some of the best trails GA has to offer. Just
> like anything else on the net, ya' gotta wade through a little crappola to find the jewels.

Any of the trail reviews I have read in Ohio and Pennsylvania have been spot in, from directions to
the trail head to the description of the terrain, etc.