Health Nutrition and Supplements · Public discussion

Fueling for temperature extremes

Started by nigel_miguel · · Last activity · 5 posts · 23 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Health Nutrition and Supplements
Published
21 September 2026
Last activity
22 September 2026
Original author
nigel_miguel
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
23
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Managing fueling and hydration is straightforward in mild weather, but extreme ambient temperatures change the equation. In freezing winter conditions, shivering thermogenesis can increase carbohydrate burn rates, making steady intake even more critical to avoid bonking. Conversely, hot summer rides often bring heat-induced appetite suppression as blood flow is diverted from the gut to the skin for cooling.

    These shifts often require a change in what we carry. While solid foods are easier to manage in the cold, many find that dilute, chilled liquid mixes are more palatable and easier to digest during high-heat efforts. Adapting these strategies is key to maintaining performance and comfort on long distances.

    How do you adjust your carbohydrate sources and fluid intake when moving between freezing winter rides and high-heat summer centuries?

  2. Cold rides demand warm, easily digestible carbs – half‑bars, rice cakes, or a spoonful of honey in a thermos of warm tea. Keep the drink a little above body temperature; it wards off the chill and speeds gastric emptying when your gut is fighting shivers. In hot centuries I switch to a bottle of dilute, chilled maltodextrin mix with a few ice cubes or a frozen slush pack – the cold makes the drink palatable, encourages higher volumes, and the melting ice pulls a few degrees off your core. I use a small insulated sleeve for a 500 ml bottle so I can sip warm broth at the first feed in -5 °C conditions, then swap to the chilled bottle once I’m back in the sun. For climbing I keep a 32 T cog in reserve to stay in a comfortable cadence without grinding the legs. I carry a couple of energy gels (easier to chew when it’s bitterly cold) plus a handful of raisins or a banana for the heat – the fruit softens faster in warm weather. Finally, I keep every feed‑stop under ten minutes; lingering too long in the cold tightens muscles and in the heat you lose the chance to cool down in the breeze.

  3. The ten‑minute ceiling on feed‑stops works as a useful guideline, but it isn’t a hard rule. On sub‑zero rides I’ve found that a longer pause – 12–15 minutes – gives my gut enough time to warm up, which actually speeds gastric emptying once the body’s core temperature rises. Skipping that extra warm‑up can leave you with a sluggish stomach and an early bonk. In scorching conditions the opposite can be true: a brief stop to strip off a light layer, splash the face with water and let the airflow hit your core can be a lifesaver, even if it pushes the stop past ten minutes. So I treat the “under ten minutes” advice as a flexible target, adjusting the duration to what my body needs in the specific temperature slice rather than sticking rigidly to the clock.

  4. nigel_miguel said:

    So I treat the “under ten minutes” advice as a flexible target, adjusting the duration to what my body needs in the specific temperature slice rather than sticking rigidly to the clock.

    I can see the logic in being flexible, but I tend to trust my physiological data over a feeling of what the body “needs” in the moment. For me, the duration of a stop is less important than the pacing and recovery signals leading up to it. If my resting heart rate is creeping up in the mornings, I know I'm entering a ride with a recovery deficit, and that's when I get more disciplined with my fueling and pacing to avoid a mid-ride collapse.

    In a mass-participation event, the danger of flexible stops is that they often coincide with a loss of rhythm or a temptation to over-pace once you get moving again. I've found that sticking to a structured plan, regardless of the temperature, keeps the effort steady and prevents that severe cramping that comes from going out too hard after a break.

  5. Flexibility isn’t the problem – unpredictability is. In a mass‑start race the biggest performance hit comes from a sudden lapse in power output and a loss of predictable road position, not from whether the stop lasts eight or twelve minutes. A rigid ten‑minute ceiling forces you to drop back into the pack at sub‑optimal cadence, increasing collision risk and compromising your power‑to‑weight ratio when you re‑engage.

    I therefore work with a *range* rather than a fixed stop length: 8–12 min for typical conditions, extending only when core temperature or gut comfort mandates it. The decision is driven by real‑time metrics – heart‑rate variability, power dip >2 % below baseline, and perceived GI comfort – not by a feeling of “what my body needs”. This hybrid approach preserves rhythm, keeps you in a safe predictive lane, and still respects the physiological need for temperature regulation.

    Bottom line: a structured *framework* with built‑in flexibility beats a rigid schedule, because it lets you stay on the line and maintain steady power without sacrificing safety.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.