Fueling

AndrewKemendo

Feb 21, 2004
In a single day multi stage race (road then TT) what would you all suggest fueling with or doing as far as massage and such in between stages.

I have this type of race coming up and I need to know what to do as I have never had this situation and Chris Carmichael's book doesnt say anything about it.

Thanks

Originally posted by firegooroo
How long is your road and TT and how far in between are the races.

40mi road that starts at 10:30AM, should take about 1.5-2 hours depending, then the TT starts at 14:00. So about an hour or two between them

The next day is 48Mi as well, no TT.

Thanks.

Well since the first race doesn't begin until 10:30am I will start by recommending that you get an early start by getting a good breakfast 3 to 4 hours before the race. What exactly, high carbs clean, low in fat nothing heavy like pancakes or sausage links. On my last race this past weekend my breakfast consisted of Oat bran with 1 packet of splenda and a tspn of honey, a small container of fat free cottage cheese with 4 slices of pre cut apples, and a small ready to drink myoplex protein shake. 30 minutes before the race have a cliff bar or zone bar just make sure the tank is good to go.

During ride becareful not to drink any thing with "High fructose corn syrup", very bad may cause a bonk. After your RR you have some time to refuel a little, don't over do it. Take with you a PB sandwich with banana's this should hold hold you, again 30 minutes before the race top off with an energy bar and don't forget to rehydrate in between races i.e. recovery drink, water, etc.... Remember no "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" very bad.

These are only some ideas I have I'm sure others might have some other good ideas also.

Good luck on your race....:D

Well since the first race doesn't begin until 10:30am I will start by recommending that you get an early start by getting a good breakfast 3 to 4 hours before the race. What exactly, high carbs clean, low in fat nothing heavy like pancakes or sausage links. On my last race this past weekend my breakfast consisted of Oat bran with 1 packet of splenda and a tspn of honey, a small container of fat free cottage cheese with 4 slices of pre cut apples, and a small ready to drink myoplex protein shake. 30 minutes before the race have a cliff bar or zone bar just make sure the tank is good to go.

During ride becareful not to drink any thing with "High fructose corn syrup", very bad may cause a bonk. After your RR you have some time to refuel a little, don't over do it. Take with you a PB sandwich with banana's this should hold hold you, again 30 minutes before the race top off with an energy bar and don't forget to rehydrate in between races i.e. recovery drink, water, etc.... Remember no "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" very bad.

These are only some ideas I have I'm sure others might have some other good ideas also.

Thanks for the help.

I have my Pre post and during fueling down to a science now, but this break and then a TT is throwing me still...I thyink all the suggestions are good and right on with what everyone says. Hopefully I can get a lot of feedback.

Thanks again.

If you have done this type of race please let me know what you did!

I haven't had a race like this yet but I have a few books on bike racing and got some other information through peak performance along with my coach through the internet and other cycling friends. Its not to often you get the RR and TT in one day but I guess it makes it challenging.

Good luck on the race and post how you did.

Hi,

just a quick question for 'AndrewKemendo'.
Which country is this race in?

I have a race which sounds very similar to this coming up.

Thanks

Originally posted by wardie2000
Hi,

just a quick question for 'AndrewKemendo'.
Which country is this race in?

I have a race which sounds very similar to this coming up.

Thanks

It is in the US, in Texas.

Fayetteville stage race...this weekend actually
I will post my score on this thread.

Just a query about the "HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP" avoidance comment. Very bad doesnt cut it. Can you expand or give some references to why you say the main ingredient to the majority of carb supplement drinks is very bad?

i am aware that fructose doesnt absorb as well as other forms of carbohydrates, but i was under the impression that corn syrup wasnt fructose. fructose is the sugar in fruit, not corn?

i dont have fructose products including most fruits because the cause me GI upsets, due to having Irritable bowel syndrome. I use Leppin products cause they dont use fructose. Fructose is cheaper to produce but not a very good carb source.

bit suprised by the use of splenda? you are about to do a bike race, what harm is a teaspoon of sugar going to do! Splenda (well actually, its aspartame) is under investigation for links to causing brain cancer and is a major problem for some people with bad GI consequences.

I shall answer that question, but real quick Splenda is not "Aspartame" Equal is. Splenda is "Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Sucralose." none of which combinded to make Aspartame. In addition Splenda comes from a synthisized raw form of sugar making it healthier than the other 2 sweetner obtions.

Now High Fructrose Corn Syrup. This article was published in the Miami Herald on Tuesday March 2, 2004(www.herald.com)also mentioned in the South Beach Diet book authored by Dr. Agatson (www.southbeachdiet.com).

HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP: Derived from cornstarch, usually a combination of 55% fructose and 45% sucrose. Treated with an enzyme that converts glucose to fructose, which results in a sweeter product. Used in soft drinks, baked goods, jelly, syrups, fruits and desserts.

The body processes the fructose in high fructose corn syrup differently than it does old fashioned cane or bet sugar, which in turn alters the way metabolic-regulating hormones function. It also forces the liver to kick more fat out into the bloodstream. The end result is that our bodies are essentially tricked into wanting to eat more and at the same time, we are storing more fat.

For each can of soda in this case Sunkist it has over 10 1/2 tspns of sugar.

There are other sites you can visit that can also tell you about this ingredient. As far as a cyclist and how it affects you it may be one of the leading causes to the infamous "bonk" this just leads the what has been previously stated, the bodies inability to metabolize the sugar and producing to much insulin giving you the hypoglycemia feeling.

I shall answer that question, but real quick Splenda is not "Aspartame" Equal is. Splenda is "Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Sucralose." none of which combinded to make Aspartame. In addition Splenda comes from a synthisized raw form of sugar making it healthier than the other 2 sweetner obtions.

Fair call on that one. i suppose you use Splenda as a better carbohydrate source than the sucrose in cane sugar?

Now High Fructrose Corn Syrup. This article was published in the Miami Herald on Tuesday March 2, 2004(www.herald.com)also mentioned in the South Beach Diet book authored by Dr. Agatson (www.southbeachdiet.com).

HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP: Derived from cornstarch, usually a combination of 55% fructose and 45% sucrose. Treated with an enzyme that converts glucose to fructose, which results in a sweeter product. Used in soft drinks, baked goods, jelly, syrups, fruits and desserts.

The body processes the fructose in high fructose corn syrup differently than it does old fashioned cane or bet sugar, which in turn alters the way metabolic-regulating hormones function. It also forces the liver to kick more fat out into the bloodstream. The end result is that our bodies are essentially tricked into wanting to eat more and at the same time, we are storing more fat.

yeah, i agree that studies have found n increase of trigylcerides in the blood.

For each can of soda in this case Sunkist it has over 10 1/2 tspns of sugar.

whats the issue there?

[B
There are other sites you can visit that can also tell you about this ingredient. As far as a cyclist and how it affects you it may be one of the leading causes to the infamous "bonk" this just leads the what has been previously stated, the bodies inability to metabolize the sugar and producing to much insulin giving you the hypoglycemia feeling. [/B]

table sugar and HFCS are quite similar anyway. Both are 50/50 split between fructose and glucose, so are you also recommending stopping using table sugar?

the problem i can see with HFCS from reading both sides of the argument on the internet is confusion over what it is. they seem to be arguing about different things. about the only study out there that is against fructose is the one regarding the rats that were feed fructose and how they died in 5 weeks instead of 2 years. the problem is that they also included that fact that they were copper deficient, which amplifies the effect of fructose.

the rats were being feed 100% fructose, not the 42 to 55% fructose in HFCS, so i dont see the relevance of the study.

HFCS is also black balled by alternative nutrition because it doesnt like GM foods, corn being one of the most commonly GM food.

I agree that fructose isnt a good carbohydrate source, just not convinced on the anti HFCS argument.

I must agree that there are still things to be learned from HFCS argument. But one note, I haven't used table sugar in over 6 months and my chemistries have come back much better than prior to the start of my training and subsiquent weight lost. In addition since removing HFCS from my cycling routine over 4 months ago I last longer in rides and have done much better in races since.

Now this is only my experience, others may experience differently. I say give it shot, if it works great, if it doesn't go back to what worked for you in this particular area.