Fuentes wins another as fattie Master takes the moral high road. What would you do?

scott

Guest
So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro 1,2s
last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
suspension for doping (see
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack. And goes again. Local
hero Larry "Diesel" Nolan, a member of the early 6, is the only one to
catch the jet-fueled express train the 2nd time and hangs on for dear
life. Knowing that a single blistering attack will spell the end, he
concedes victory with 3 to go, allowing Fuentes to take another
illicit win from the 12k dreamers.

My question: You know the guy is doped to the gills. What would you
have done?
A) Give in as Larry did
B) Swap pull for pull and try to take the V honestly
C) Sit tight, kill yourself to hang with his attacks and go for the V
D) Concede with 3 to go THEN steal the V, since he shouldn't be in the
race anyway.
E) I don't go to local races anymore, it's too depressing.

2nd Question: would "D" be ethical under the circumstances?

FWIW, I was in a similar situation a year ago with Fuentes. Same
thing... I was smart enough to get away with the guy but in no shape
to go pull-for-pull with him. I gave him the V because I felt like he
deserved it. I didn't know he was boxing with lead in his gloves. If I
were to do it over I would have killed myself to hang on his attacks
out of sheer rage and pip the ****er at the end.

Just askin.
Scott

scott wrote:
> So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro

1,2s
> last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
> suspension for doping (see
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
> Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack. And goes again. Local
> hero Larry "Diesel" Nolan, a member of the early 6, is the only one

> catch the jet-fueled express train the 2nd time and hangs on for dear
> life. Knowing that a single blistering attack will spell the end, he
> concedes victory with 3 to go, allowing Fuentes to take another
> illicit win from the 12k dreamers.
>
> My question: You know the guy is doped to the gills. What would you
> have done?
> A) Give in as Larry did
> B) Swap pull for pull and try to take the V honestly
> C) Sit tight, kill yourself to hang with his attacks and go for the V
> D) Concede with 3 to go THEN steal the V, since he shouldn't be in

the
> race anyway.
> E) I don't go to local races anymore, it's too depressing.
>
> 2nd Question: would "D" be ethical under the circumstances?
>

> FWIW, I was in a similar situation a year ago with Fuentes. Same
> thing... I was smart enough to get away with the guy but in no shape
> to go pull-for-pull with him. I gave him the V because I felt like he
> deserved it. I didn't know he was boxing with lead in his gloves. If

> were to do it over I would have killed myself to hang on his attacks
> out of sheer rage and pip the ****er at the end.
>
> Just askin.
> Scott

F) Sit on and chant PULL DOPER PULL!

RVD

G - Take him out in a corner so no one else has to deal with this??

In article <[email protected]>, scott
<[email protected]> wrote:

> So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro 1,2s
> last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
> suspension for doping (see
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
> Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack. And goes again. Local
> hero Larry "Diesel" Nolan, a member of the early 6, is the only one to
> catch the jet-fueled express train the 2nd time and hangs on for dear
> life. Knowing that a single blistering attack will spell the end, he
> concedes victory with 3 to go, allowing Fuentes to take another
> illicit win from the 12k dreamers.
>
> My question: You know the guy is doped to the gills. What would you
> have done?

I doubt that he's still doped, but maybe he's still reaping the
benefits of it. The drug he was caught for supposedly wears off very
soon after it's not being taken anymore.

> A) Give in as Larry did
> B) Swap pull for pull and try to take the V honestly
> C) Sit tight, kill yourself to hang with his attacks and go for the V
> D) Concede with 3 to go THEN steal the V, since he shouldn't be in the
> race anyway.
> E) I don't go to local races anymore, it's too depressing.
>
> 2nd Question: would "D" be ethical under the circumstances?

Not "racing" with him sends a message. Just like a few years ago at
Nat's when only one rider entered the women's 500mTT, so Tommy Thomas
"raced" against no one.

> FWIW, I was in a similar situation a year ago with Fuentes. Same
> thing... I was smart enough to get away with the guy but in no shape
> to go pull-for-pull with him. I gave him the V because I felt like he
> deserved it. I didn't know he was boxing with lead in his gloves. If I
> were to do it over I would have killed myself to hang on his attacks
> out of sheer rage and pip the ****er at the end.

You have a better sprint than Larry so Larry might well have lost in
that sprint, but yeah, take advantage of the doper if you can.

-WG

"scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro 1,2s
> last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
> suspension for doping (see
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
> Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack. And goes again. Local
> hero Larry "Diesel" Nolan, a member of the early 6, is the only one to
> catch the jet-fueled express train the 2nd time and hangs on for dear
> life. Knowing that a single blistering attack will spell the end, he
> concedes victory with 3 to go, allowing Fuentes to take another
> illicit win from the 12k dreamers.

Having been in race with 'em a few weeks ago and been next to Fuentes I
would've said ****. You were there (Giro SF).

Larry's 5 times the racer Fuentes ever could be anyway.

-Ken

In article <5zo6d.278430$Fg5.92804@attbi_s53>, Ken Papai
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro 1,2s
> > last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
> > suspension for doping (see
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
> > Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack. And goes again. Local
> > hero Larry "Diesel" Nolan, a member of the early 6, is the only one to
> > catch the jet-fueled express train the 2nd time and hangs on for dear
> > life. Knowing that a single blistering attack will spell the end, he
> > concedes victory with 3 to go, allowing Fuentes to take another
> > illicit win from the 12k dreamers.

> Having been in race with 'em a few weeks ago and been next to Fuentes I
> would've said ****. You were there (Giro SF).
>
> Larry's 5 times the racer Fuentes ever could be anyway.

....and without cheating.

-WG

"Rik Van Diesel" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> scott wrote:
> > So Dave "Anabol" Fuentes sets out to crush the local field of Pro

> 1,2s
> > last weekend in Pleasanton, CA. Racing under imminent threat of
> > suspension for doping (see
> > http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/aug04/aug04news),
> > Fuentes powers a break of 6 and laps the pack.

cut

If
> > were to do it over I would have killed myself to hang on his attacks
> > out of sheer rage and pip the ****er at the end.
> >
> > Just askin.
> > Scott

> F) Sit on and chant PULL DOPER PULL!
>
> RVD

Anybody know how much $ this win paid? Also, if you have good
information on other races Fuentes stole at, let me know. I'm tracking
this stuff for USADA.

Who, BTW, will be addressing this situation in the next few weeks.

critter probe