Fuji Absolute 2.1 / Traverse 1.3 or Trek PDX / FX 7.3?

qcho

Apr 27, 2013
Greetings!
I'm in the market for a hybrid. I have hip replacement/back injury thus I believe this will be the kind of bike I should go for. My budget is in the $500-$600.
I rode the Absolute 2.1 and the Trek PDX (2012) and enjoyed both very well. Also liked the Traverse 1.3, handles well though I found the other two to be more of a road type. I have not tried the FX7.3 but me neighbour swears it's the best. It's coming to which ones are the most reliable and the best value for the $. Is it worth spending an extra $200approx for a FX or decide beween the PDX or Fuji's Absolute 2.1? Because of my height I must use a 15".
Which ones are better built? Any suggestions / feedbacks wil be greatly appreciated!

Trek's FX is the leader in this category, although some will make a good case for the Specialized Sirrus range.

The FX stands out for its fit that hits a nice balance between comfort and performance, and its snappy handling. Also important, in my opinion, is how the components have been selected to hit the price points and work together in nice packages. This works throughout the FX line. While I'm not familiar with the latest Absolutes from Fuji, the older models have often felt thrown together from parts catalogs to hit a price point with little consideration of how they work together.

Oldbobcat,thanks for your feedback, much welcomed.
Today I tried the Fuji Traverse 1.3 & 1.1. Of course, they are a different puppy from the FX 7.3 since they have front shocks. The ride was nice, yet I wonder, since I have back problems, by replacing the saddle to one that has a shock will do the job, that and, perhaps, a change of tires I might have the perfect bike.
Any suggestions?

The first bit of back advice I always give is, "Sit up straight, even if you're leaning forward." In other words, don't slouch. Then, after you find out how tall you can be on the bike, make adjustments so you can support your center of gravity over your feet. Many riders slouch not because they're tired or lazy but because that's the way they have to sit to be in balance. That's backwards. The goal is to be balanced with a straight back.

A front shock probably isn't going to help your back. I think the FX line provides a good starting point because of its extended head tube and slightly riser handlebar. If Specialized is available in your area, I suggest looking at the Sirrus line, too, because it offers a slightly more upright posture while keeping with the sporty "fitness bike" concept.

To find comfort on any bike, though, achieve balance with good posture. Then if that doesn't meet your needs, investigate other adaptations with your dealer. That would include softer tires, sprung seat posts, different saddles, and riser stems and handlebars.