Fuji Any Good?

duhhuh

Apr 17, 2005
Hi guys, I am a real beginner. Wondering if the bike I have is worth keeping or start looking. Bike is older Fuji Special Road Racer. Luggged steel frame, Suntour derailleurs, DiaCompe brakes, Ukairim 27-1/4 wheels, 10 speed, 40/50 and 14/18//22/27/34, 52cm C-C Seat Tube and 54 C-C Top Tube. Seems to fit OK. Should I put a little into it or start looking for something else? Thanks.

duhhuh said:
Hi guys, I am a real beginner. Wondering if the bike I have is worth keeping or start looking. Bike is older Fuji Special Road Racer. Luggged steel frame, Suntour derailleurs, DiaCompe brakes, Ukairim 27-1/4 wheels, 10 speed, 40/50 and 14/18//22/27/34, 52cm C-C Seat Tube and 54 C-C Top Tube. Seems to fit OK. Should I put a little into it or start looking for something else? Thanks.
Fuji made bottom of the barrel to top end. With 27" wheels it's more toward the lower end.That 5 speed 14/34 freewheel is a joke.

Hey folks, I really could use some help. Is the Fuji a fixer upper or a lost cause? I am a real newbie and some advice here would be appreciated. If it is saveable, what do you recommend?

my FIRST road bike was a 1989 Fuji Ace, it was fine for the time (steel frame, so so components) but I broke the frames derailleur hanger, and it was junk after that.

I would say that your bike is okay for the year or 2 around when it was produced.

ANY low-end road bike from a good, well-known company is many, many times better than what you have now. If you are serious about getting into riding, spend a couple bucks and buy a decent bike... you may even find a used bike in want-ads for much less than retail. Just do some homework before you buy anything.

my $.02

duhhuh said:
Hey folks, I really could use some help. Is the Fuji a fixer upper or a lost cause?
Probably better than a Huffy, or no bike. Not my idea of a good time.YMMV.

duhhuh said:
Hey folks, I really could use some help. Is the Fuji a fixer upper or a lost cause? I am a real newbie and some advice here would be appreciated. If it is saveable, what do you recommend?
If you can ride it without putting any money into it, then ride it and start hitting the bike shops when the '06 models come out and you may be able to close escrow on an '05 model.

I've seen better at yard sales for $25. If you can put air in the tires go ahead and ride it. If you stick with cycling you will probably want to get a new ride eventually, but for now just go out and enjoy the sunshine. I wouldn't put any cash into a bike that old.

Yeah, ride it as is. Do not try to invest in updating it!

If you want modern equipment go out and purchase a new bike.

duhhuh said:

Frame is ok, as long as there are no cracks or dents. Thing is, to upgrade the majority of the cost is in the parts you stick on the frame. By the time you are done you could have bought a new bicycle. Of course, part of the fun is building it up, so go ahead if you want. A new coat of paint on the frame and new parts will make it look new again.

You say you are a beginner, so think about it, do you have confidence in being able to take the bike apart and put new parts on it? A lot of new parts require a special tool to install and buying all the tools you need costs a pretty penny as well. Things to consider.

I had a very similar by description Sagres model which gave many years of good recreational/exercise service. I got rid of it recently when the rims fatigued around the spoke holes, and replacement wheels were more money than the bike was worth. Don't put money in it, it's not worth it. Ride it, learn to "wrench" on it, and save it for a "beater" when you get your new one. After all you're not going to chain up your new Trek in front of the movie theater at "the mall" and leave it for 4 hours are you now?

I'm not sure i would invest any money into it, but i would surely ride it until I could afford something a little better. My friend has a very low end Fuji, not a bad beginner bike, but he plans on upgrading in the near future. Good Luck on your decision!

if all it needs is air in the tires and lube on the chain, then it's good enough to get you going. don't put any money into it.

Fuji's high end **** is awesome. I love their old school titanium frames.

duhhuh said:

Thanks everyone for the comments and advice. I will begin looking for something a little better, in the mean time the Fuji will at least be something to ride. Thanks again.

I just finished using the frame from an old fuji ace to build a fixed gear. I'm super happy with the way it turned out. The steel frame wasn't really a problem for me, and getting rid of all of that crappy componentry really lightened up the beast. Cheers.