fuji cambridge vs raleigh M20

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jason

Hi,

My wife is looking for a comfort bike. The main purpose is just for some very light exercise. We do
not want to spend too much on the bike. Could someone who owns the above two bikes post your
personal experience? My wife is about 5'1''.

Thanks.

Jason

"jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> My wife is looking for a comfort bike. The main purpose is just for some very light exercise. We
> do not want to spend too much on the bike. Could someone who owns the above two bikes post your
> personal experience? My wife is about 5'1''.

The M20 is a little more of a mountain bike (not really, in this price range, but ...) in that it
has a suspension fork and a rigid stem. It will yield a slightly less upright riding position than
the Fuji. The Fuji has an adjustable stem, a rigid fork, and a more upright position. (Suspension
forks are a worthless encumbrance on inexpensive bikes, in my opinion, but they're becoming hard to
avoid because of market pressure.)

Raleigh does make comfort bikes -- the "SC " series, like the SC30 -- which are more closely
comparable to the Cambridge.

But there's no substitute for test rides to determine what sort of setup will be most comfortable
and fun to ride. And there's little to choose between brands when comparing bikes in these classes;
far more important are the differences between bike shops, and how much attention they give to
fitting the bike to the rider, carefully assembling it and preparing the wheels, and then servicing
it after the sale. Pick a good bike shop, and the rest will follow.

RichC

I have a Raleigh SC 40 from a few years ago. It is a nice, well made bike,at a reasonable price.
Mine has a suspension seat, but I see the new ones have a suspension fork, also. Good wide gearing
ratio, too. HTH Mike

"Rich Clark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My wife is looking for a comfort bike. The main purpose is just for some very light exercise. We
> > do not want to spend too much on the bike. Could someone who owns the above two bikes post your
> > personal experience? My wife is about 5'1''.
>
> The M20 is a little more of a mountain bike (not really, in this price range, but ...) in that it
> has a suspension fork and a rigid stem. It will yield a slightly less upright riding position than
> the Fuji. The Fuji has
an
> adjustable stem, a rigid fork, and a more upright position. (Suspension forks are a worthless
> encumbrance on inexpensive bikes, in my opinion, but they're becoming hard to avoid because of
> market pressure.)
>
> Raleigh does make comfort bikes -- the "SC " series, like the SC30 --
which
> are more closely comparable to the Cambridge.
>
> But there's no substitute for test rides to determine what sort of setup will be most comfortable
> and fun to ride. And there's little to choose between brands when comparing bikes in these
> classes; far more important
are
> the differences between bike shops, and how much attention they give to fitting the bike to the
> rider, carefully assembling it and preparing the wheels, and then servicing it after the sale.
> Pick a good bike shop, and
the
> rest will follow.
>
> RichC

A suggestion:

Examine the bikes you mentioned, carefully, and get the best price quote you can on the one you like
at local bike shops. Then go to a ****'s or Dunham's sporting goods store and take a look at the
Mongoose Switchback models they sell. There are 3 models in that series ranging from $185 to about
$250 in cost with steel and 7005 aluminum frames. Give these a careful examination, too, and then
decide if the price difference is supported by the difference in the bikes you've looked at. If you
don't know what to look for, as the person in the bike shop what to look for. He should be happy to
tell you to get your business.

My boss just bought a Switchback Al model for $185 at ****'s. The level of quality of the bike is
just shocking for this kind of price. I mean really good! The bike comes with a 30-day
adjustment, too.

Simply amazing.

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic programmer)
"jason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My wife is looking for a comfort bike. The main purpose is just for some very light exercise. We
> do not want to spend too much on the bike. Could someone who owns the above two bikes post your
> personal experience? My wife is about 5'1''.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.