Fuji S10-s restoration

G. Richard

Sep 15, 2009
I recently was handed down a Fuji S10-s road bicycle. I am looking for a couple of pointers for making it look more like a modern road bike of today, thanks for any responses. P.s. I am somewhat new to cycling in general.:cool:

G. Richard said:
I recently was handed down a Fuji S10-s road bicycle. I am looking for a couple of pointers for making it look more like a modern road bike of today, thanks for any responses. P.s. I am somewhat new to cycling in general.:cool:
Your budget is the only significant limitation ...

Depending on the vintage of the S10-S frame, you may not be able to install a "external" BB & crankset (e.g., Campagnolo Ultra Torque, Shimano Hollowtech II, etc.), but about any other type of BB can be installed in the frame.

EVERYTHING ELSE can be replaced with a contemporary equivialent ... you can even replace the fork with a carbon fiber fork (threaded or threadless) which has a 1" steerer.

G. Richard said:
So i assume most bottom brackets are internal then?
Well, most bikes currently sold at a bike shop will probably have external bottom bracket cups ...

Internal bottom brackets are still readily available ... the only internal BB that I would suggest you steer clear of uses the ISIS splined interface ... nothing wrong with it in concept, but there seems to be some inconsistency in the quality of the bearings.

I prefer either Shimano's Octalink BB or Campagnolo's 102mm (Record/Chorus) square taper BB -- both are 'internal'.

FYI. The reason that you probably cannot use an external BB on the FUJI S10-S frame (but, what is true for one production run may not be true for the entire production run of that model) is because the BB shell is laterally asymmetrical (!) with a bias toward the non-driveside to apparently compensate for the lateral forces on the frame & BB shell.