Fuji sportif

Scottyboy

Oct 18, 2016
Hey everyone! I'm rather new here and have a quick question. As a student at my university, we get 20% off Fuji bikes. I really don't have a lot of money (college student, right) and am wondering what Fuji bike would be a good buy. I like the sportif 2.5 and 2.7, but I have no idea what the difference is between the two. HELP PLEASE!

The biggest difference is the 3 pounds of weight. Is that worth the $130 MSRP price difference? To me it would be. YMMV.

The 2.5 has the better shifters...mounted inside the brake lever housing. They are easier for most people to use than the bar-mounted independent shift levers the 2.7 model is spec'd with.

Just another feature the price difference buys you. You can go to Fuji's website and compare the two models, component for component to see what changes. A little bit here...a little bit there. For a detailed look at the components and how they function hit up the shimaNO or other manufacturer's webpages.

The 2.5 also throws in some cheap pedals/toe clips, a better cassette and a better crankset.

ShimaNO is particularly good in that you can download exploded views of the components, parts lists, user manuals and dealer service manuals for almost all the components shimaNO manufactures. Be advised that most of shimaNo's low end components are manufactured in China, Taiwan, Korea, etc. with all the good and bad that comes with that. Reading the online reviews will tell you that Fuji bikes, in general, are great bikes and the lower range shimaNO components are perfectly fine for light duty to moderate use applications.

Either Sportif model would be with you through grad school with a little care and a few replacement parts as they wear out.

I think the biggest draw for the 2.5 is the 3-pound weight loss. Loading and unloading the bike from a car or rack, carrying it a flight of stairs...you'll probably notice that three pound difference there as much as when riding in hilly terrain.

Sweet! Thanks guys! Also, are there any other brands that would have something good or better in this price range? Thanks!

... I think the biggest draw for the 2.5 is the 3-pound weight loss. Loading and unloading the bike from a car or rack, carrying it a flight of stairs...you'll probably notice that three pound difference there as much as when riding in hilly terrain.
FYI ...

While CAMPYBOB has provided you with some good information, it may be worth factoring into your decision that he recently may have spent as much for a replacement crankset (vs. simply replacing the chainrings & BB bearings for $100-or-less BECAUSE there isn't really a functional difference between Record-and-Miirage chainrings when using Campagnolo shifters -- yes, there IS a huge cosmetic difference ... and yes (because apparently NOTHING is sacred!?!), I recently put some Mirage chainrings on my not-so-Super, comparatively plebeian Record crankset) as either of the two FUJI Sportif bikes you were looking might cost you ...

Without scrutinizing the specs of the two models as carefully as CAMPYBOB undoubtedly has, the weight difference is apparently from the steel stem, the steel handlebars, and the steel crankset on the less expensive iteration ...

Beyond weight, the ONLY problem with steel handlebars is that I've never seen a pair which was wider than 38cm ...

That doesn't meant that those aren't going to be the right size for YOU and/or it doesn't mean that you will want a wider pair at some future point in time .. .

The steel crankset can double as a small boat anchor.
While weight can be a factor, even if you live in a third floor walk-up apartment, the weight of either bike shouldn't be a factor unless you are under 5'0" tall or have a torn rotator cuff or some other upper body limitations ...​

If I had a limited budget & it were my choice then I would probably get the less expensive of the two because the frames, themselves, are undoubtedly the very similar with the forks with the fore mentioned components & shifters being the apparent difference ...

Ok. And are the shifters really any different?

The thumb shifters on the less expensive model are "good enough" ... very spartan ...

The combined shift-brake levers on the more expensive Sportif model are definitely a good thing, but for the $130 difference I could install a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo Veloce shifters on the bike and have vastly superior shifting than on most non-Campagnolo bikes.

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can also be made to function with wheels with 8-or-9-speed Shimano-and-SRAM Cassettes + (of course) wheels with 10-speed Campagnolo Cassettes.

... I think the biggest draw for the 2.5 is the 3-pound weight loss. Loading and unloading the bike from a car or rack, carrying it a flight of stairs...you'll probably notice that three pound difference there as much as when riding in hilly terrain.
FYI ...

While CAMPYBOB has provided you with some good information, it may be worth factoring into your decision that he recently may have spent as much for a replacement crankset (vs. simply replacing the chainrings & BB bearings for $100-or-less BECAUSE there isn't really a functional difference between Record-and-Miirage chainrings when using Campagnolo shifters -- yes, there IS a huge cosmetic difference ... and yes (because apparently NOTHING is sacred!?!), I recently put some Mirage chainrings on my not-so-Super, comparatively plebeian Record crankset) as either of the two FUJI Sportif bikes you were looking might cost you ...

Without scrutinizing the specs of the two models as carefully as CAMPYBOB undoubtedly has, the weight difference is apparently from the steel stem, the steel handlebars, and the steel crankset on the less expensive iteration ...

Beyond weight, the ONLY problem with steel handlebars is that I've never seen a pair which was wider than 38cm ...

That doesn't meant that those aren't going to be the right size for YOU and/or it doesn't mean that you will want a wider pair at some future point in time .. .

The steel crankset can double as a small boat anchor.
While weight can be a factor, even if you live in a third floor walk-up apartment, the weight of either bike shouldn't be a factor unless you are under 5'0" tall or have a torn rotator cuff or some other upper body limitations ...​

If I had a limited budget & it were my choice then I would probably get the less expensive of the two because the frames, themselves, are undoubtedly the very similar with the forks with the fore mentioned components & shifters being the apparent difference ...

Ok. And are the shifters really any different?

The thumb shifters on the less expensive model are "good enough" ... very spartan ...

The combined shift-brake levers on the more expensive Sportif model are definitely a good thing, but for the $130 difference I could install a pair of 10-speed Campagnolo Veloce shifters on the bike and have vastly superior shifting than on most non-Campagnolo bikes.

The 10-speed Campagnolo shifters can also be made to function with wheels with 8-or-9-speed Shimano-and-SRAM Cassettes + (of course) wheels with 10-speed Campagnolo Cassettes.