fuji supreme rear wheelset

pyorel

Sep 10, 2005
Hi
I need to get a new rear wheel for a fuji supreme 21" but not sure if it must be the original fuji wheelset product. the whole rear wheel set was stolen with the the wheel butterfly holder. the rear derailer is still there.

do I have options for the wheelset? is it sold as a set with hub, spokes, rims and chainringset assembled? What do I need to look for to make sure the set fits? the original set came with the bike assembled by a dealer. any online sources to shop for wheelset? how can a good wheelset improve riding?
I am ignorant of bike mechanics but curious to learn and ride a lot daily.
Thanks,

http://www.fujibikes.com/2005/bikes.asp?id=83#
fujiamerica.com specs for fuji supreme 2005 men:
Q/R
Rear hub Formula sealed forged aluminum, Silver, 36H, Q/R
Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
Rims Alex aluminum, Z-1000, 36H
Tires Kenda, K-934 Hybrid, 700 x 35c
Tubes Kenda
Main frame Fuji Altair 1 aluminum with double water bottle mounts
Rear triangle Fuji Altair 1 aluminum, rack mounts, replaceable derailleur hanger
Fork Fuji Comfort Suspension 40mm travel w/Preload, Made by Zoom
Drivetrain Crankset SR/SunTour XCC-100 forged aluminum crank, 28/38/48T with chainguard
Bottom bracket Sealed cartridge
Pedals Wellgo Hybrid w/Kraton no slip inserts
Front derailleur SR SunTour XR-05, 31.8mm
Rear derailleur Shimano Altus MegaRange
Shifters Shimano Altus shifter/brake, 24-speed
Cassette/freewheel SRAM PG-830, 11/32T 8-speed
Chain KMC Z-72
Wheelset Front hub Formula sealed forged aluminum, Silver, 36H, Q/R
Rear hub Formula sealed forged aluminum, Silver, 36H, Q/R
Spokes Stainless Steel, 14g
Rims Alex aluminum, Z-1000, 36H
Tires Kenda, K-934 Hybrid, 700 x 35c
Tubes Kenda
Features Brake set ProMax aluminum linear pull with front modulator
Brake levers Shimano Altus shifter/brake
Headset Fuji Trekking, 1 1/8", Sealed
Handlebar Fuji aluminum riser
Stem Fuji Trekking Alloy, Adjustable angle, removable clamp
Tape/grip Kraton rubber to match shifter
Saddle Fuji Comfort Hybrid, Men's/Ladies specific
Seat post Fuji alloy suspension, 300mm
Seat clamp Fuji aluminum 31.8mm Quick Release
Others
Frame Weight, lb./kg. 4.1/1.8
Complete Bike Weight, lb./kg. 30/13.6
Specifications are subject to change without notice.

pyorel said:
Hi
I need to get a new rear wheel for a fuji supreme 21" but not sure if it must be the original fuji wheelset product. the whole rear wheel set was stolen with the the wheel butterfly holder. the rear derailer is still there.

do I have options for the wheelset? is it sold as a set with hub, spokes, rims and chainringset assembled? What do I need to look for to make sure the set fits? the original set came with the bike assembled by a dealer. any online sources to shop for wheelset? how can a good wheelset improve riding?
I am ignorant of bike mechanics but curious to learn and ride a lot daily.
Thanks,
Do you have options? Yes always, but in this case, best to replace wheel with something similar to what you lost.
Is it sold as a set with....assembled? No. Wheel (hubs, rim, and spokes can be purchased assembled). Tire, tube, rim strip (the tape that covers the spoke heads), and cassette (gears) come separately and must be installed.
What do I need to look for? Shimano compatible 135mm rear spaced wheel with rim to accomodate 700 X 35 tire. 8-speed rear cassette (shimano compatible-most common are Shimano or SRAM) 11-32 or similar., The tire (700 X 35), a tube to fit 700 X 35 tire (make sure that you choose the valve type that fits the wheel that you buy-the picture of the bike in your link is schrader valve, which is the type that is on car tires. Most higher-end bikes use a presta valve on the tubes), and the rim strip. Also tools to do the work. See Park Tool Repair site or a decent maintenance manual such as the one by Lennard Zinn for help with choosing the right tools and with how to do the work. It will be an easy job if you have the right tools.

Online sources: There are several A hybrid wheel may be difficult to find. One source to try online is bikepartsusa.com, but their site has little product information. They have what you need but to find it, you need to know what you are looking for.

Altogether, it may cost around $75-100 or so depending on what you choose and the deals you can find, and whether you do it yourself.

Will wheels improve riding? Yes, but for the type of bike you have-a 30 lb entry level hybrid-it won't make a big difference. Get a basic wheel that fits the bike to get yourself back on the road.

If you have no idea what you are doing, and don't want to learn, go to your local shop, but this is something that you probably can learn pretty easily. It might helpful be to ask a more experienced cycling friend to for assistance in picking parts if you go the online route so you don't make a mistake.

Good luck.

John M said:
Shimano compatible 135mm rear spaced wheel with rim to accomodate 700 X 35 tire. 8-speed rear cassette (shimano compatible-most common are Shimano or SRAM) 11-32 or similar., The tire (700 X 35), a tube to fit 700 X 35 tire (make sure that you choose the valve type that fits the wheel that you buy-the picture of the bike in your link is schrader valve, which is the type that is on car tires.
thank you
the best would be to get a simple set like the one that came with the bike.
What is the 135mm rear spaced wheel? I could not see this spec anywhere.
what is Q/R?
I would like to get the tools and get it done myself but still not sure how it works. On bikepartsusa there where subcategories of inch measurments (15 thru 27 inch) for wheels. I could not find this measurment on my Fuji specs. Also wheels are 20X2.2 or 20X1.50 as a wheel spec on bikespartsusa? what is this number? also CR18 and B/O - could not figure out which of their wheels would fit my needs. and I want to get the bike going asap. help please
Thanks

pyorel said:
thank you
the best would be to get a simple set like the one that came with the bike.
What is the 135mm rear spaced wheel? I could not see this spec anywhere.
what is Q/R?
I would like to get the tools and get it done myself but still not sure how it works. On bikepartsusa there where subcategories of inch measurments (15 thru 27 inch) for wheels. I could not find this measurment on my Fuji specs. Also wheels are 20X2.2 or 20X1.50 as a wheel spec on bikespartsusa? what is this number? also CR18 and B/O - could not figure out which of their wheels would fit my needs. and I want to get the bike going asap. help please
Thanks
Almost all hybrids use 135 mm rear frame spacing. You probably should measure just to be sure. What you want to measure is the inside distance between the rear dropouts (the slots where the rear axle goes). It could be a 130mm.

The wheelsize you want is 700 X 35. The first number refers to the diameter and the second to the width of the tire that the rim is designed for (although a 35 rim may fit tires between 28-38 and sometimes 45mm depending on the brand of rim and brand of tire). The other letters refer to rim models.

From the bikepartsusa website, all of the following are examples of what should work for you. The first is a cheapie wheel and the second is a decent quality but still basic wheel.

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-99W644 (I don't know if this is 130 or 135-call them if you are interested)

http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.phtml?p=01-142240 (this one is 135mm for sure)

Call around to local shops as well. You may get a decent deal, save time by not waiting for shipping, and you will be able to get advice so you do not buy the wrong thing and have to ship it back. You can still do the installation yourself and save on the labor. Buying locally also has the advantage of having the shop make sure the wheel is true and properly tensioned before you put it on your bike. Low-end stock wheels are built by machine and are notorious for being poorly tensioned and even untrue out of the box.

Thank you

I got it done at the local bike shop for around $100 parts+labor on the same day.
I have decided though to use a second hand rim, which seems OK before installation by visual inspection and spinning by hand.
The bike now rides almost as it had with the original rear wheelset, there are minute 'clicks' felt by my feet via the pedals when using certain speeds, but no such 'clicks' when using other speeds. I assume this is due to the chain (5 months old) fitting into the brand new 8 sp. cassette. Is that possible? What else can I check to verify the source of these felt 'clicks'?

Also, when spinning the rear wheel in air the bike will shift each time the wheel completes a round. As if the rear wheel has a weight on it that throws it out of balance. I showed it to the guys who installed the wheelset. They said it is the valve causing this tremor - the heaviest part in the wheelset - as they said. It does not sound right. Is that possible and fine?
Then they adjusted a few spokes but the tremor is not completely gone. The wheel looks visually aligned and straight when spinning though but it does push the whole frame forward and back with each round (when bike in air).
I am not sure this wheel is Ok. How can I check it?
Thanks