Fuji Team Superlite headset

atomicrc11

Aug 18, 2004
Hey guys, I have a Fuji Team Superlite bike that is 3.5 years old. I have taken good care of it, and the only noticable problems are the bottom bracket creaks sometimes, but this is usually solved by greasing and tightening. The other is that the headset has some play. It is an integrated headset, and I have made sure it is always tight, and taken apart and regreased when it is ridding in wet weather. Despite all this it now has some play in it. Is this typical for these types of headsets? Do I need to buy a new frame now? Or can I live with the play for another year until I'm ready to buy a new bike? Thanks for any insight.

What I reckon is typical for a threadless headset is that they need a 2nd tightening after the first couple of rides. It's either my technique, or stuff 'settles' in there

atomicrc11 said:
Hey guys, I have a Fuji Team Superlite bike that is 3.5 years old. I have taken good care of it, and the only noticable problems are the bottom bracket creaks sometimes, but this is usually solved by greasing and tightening. The other is that the headset has some play. It is an integrated headset, and I have made sure it is always tight, and taken apart and regreased when it is ridding in wet weather. Despite all this it now has some play in it. Is this typical for these types of headsets? Do I need to buy a new frame now? Or can I live with the play for another year until I'm ready to buy a new bike? Thanks for any insight.

There should not be any play in the headset when properly adjusted. If you cannot get the headset adjusted properly, it may be worn and in need of replacement. You can't really hurt the frame with a loose headset, but will accelerate the demise of the headset if you ride it loose.

John M said:
There should not be any play in the headset when properly adjusted. If you cannot get the headset adjusted properly, it may be worn and in need of replacement. You can't really hurt the frame with a loose headset, but will accelerate the demise of the headset if you ride it loose.
The issue here is that it is an integrated headset, meaning the cups for the bearings are actually part of the frame. I cannot take the cups out, I can only replace the bearings. I actually just rode to work today, and it was the second ride after I took apart my headset, so I will try tightening it tonight. How tight should I make it? As tight as I can get while the bearings can still move freely? Thanks again.