Fuji Touring vs. Bianchi Volpe

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by bryanska, Sep 25, 2005.

  1. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
    new Volpe is $850.

    Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
    going up to $900, from $750-800.

    I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
    I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

    Tags:

  2. Joe Canuck

    Joe Canuck Guest

    bryanska wrote:

    > Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
    > new Volpe is $850.
    >
    > Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
    > going up to $900, from $750-800.
    >
    > I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
    > I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

    If you don't buy the one you want -and- are not completely satisfied
    with the one you do buy you will always regret your decision.

  3. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    Well, I don't want one tons more than the other. The Bianchi has
    somewhat cooler colors and a nice simple decal scheme.

    OTOH, the 2006 Fuji comes in a groovy bronze, like an old 70s rig.

    But I feel a bit silly paying hundreds more to just get the color I
    like.

  4. Joe Canuck

    Joe Canuck Guest

    bryanska wrote:

    > Well, I don't want one tons more than the other. The Bianchi has
    > somewhat cooler colors and a nice simple decal scheme.
    >
    > OTOH, the 2006 Fuji comes in a groovy bronze, like an old 70s rig.
    >
    > But I feel a bit silly paying hundreds more to just get the color I
    > like.

    Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
    both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives you
    the best fit.

  5. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    >Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
    >both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives you
    >the best fit.

    Unfortunately, they're at different shops. The 2005 Fuji is 54cm and
    fits pretty good, though I haven't taken it on a long test ride. There
    are no Bianchi Volpes in the area in the 52cm size. The 55cm Volpe is
    too big for me.

    Conundrum.

    They have comparable drivetrains, almost exactly the same. The Bianchi
    has better wheels, hubs, clipless pedals, a threadless headset, and is
    1 lb lighter. The Fuji has a threaded headset, nicer cork wrap,
    Fuji-branded wheelset, nicer road tires, a big rear rack included, and
    clip/strap pedals.

    So the Bianchi's advantages are basically pedals, wheelset, and color.
    The 2005 Fuji's advantages are price, better tires and an included
    rack. Let me look at the costs overall, to bring both bikes in line
    with my needs:

    Bianchi costs $850. Add a rack ($40), smoother tires ($40). Total =
    $930.

    Fuji costs $700. Add cork ($10), pedals ($40). Total = $750.

    So I can get this year's Fuji in a questionable color at a bargain,
    less than next year's MSRP.

    Does this look right to you? Again, I come to the question of glaring
    differences. Can you think of any?

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    Ohhh, man that bronze is totally retrotastic.

    Worth $200 in my opinion!

    *drool*

  7. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    bryanska <[email protected]> wrote:
    :> >Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
    :>>both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives
    :>>you the best fit.
    :>
[...]

    Tires wear out, so that advantage will be gone after you run though the
    stock tires.

    :> Bianchi costs $850. Add a rack ($40), smoother tires ($40). Total =
    :> $930.
    :>
    :> Fuji costs $700. Add cork ($10), pedals ($40). Total = $750.
    :>
    :> So I can get this year's Fuji in a questionable color at a bargain,
    :> less than next year's MSRP.
    :>
    :> Does this look right to you? Again, I come to the question of glaring
    :> differences. Can you think of any?

    I would say that unless you're money constrained, get the one you really
    like most. if you ride it, it's better that you enjoy even how it looks,
    and if you really like the looks, you'll enjoy the bike better, IMO. If you
    plan on leaving the bike the garage to look at, then buy based on price. :)

  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    :
    : I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
    : I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

    I did that once---bought the cheaper bike in a champagne color when I really
    wanted the next year's model in a navy blue. Every time I rode the bike I
    thought of the one I had really wanted. This was in 1984 and I still have
    the bike---but I still look at it and wish I had the other one.

    Pat in TX
    :

  9. SMS

    SMS Guest

    rdclark wrote:
    > bryanska wrote:
    >
    >>Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
    >>new Volpe is $850.
    >>
    >>Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
    >>going up to $900, from $750-800.
    >>
    >>I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
    >>I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

    > The Volpe has lower gearing (48/38/28 chainrings, vs 42/42/30 on the
    > Fuji). That's a meaningful difference.
    >
    > The Fuji has longer chainstays (44 vs 42.5cm). That's also a meaningful
    > difference, particularly for riders using panniers, especially if they
    > have big feet.

    This has always been an issue for me on bicycles where I want to use
    panniers, since I wear 11.5/46 shoes.

    You can always change the components and/or gearing if necessary, but
    the frame is there to stay.

    And of course you meant 52/42/30 on the Fuji. Personally, if I bought
    the Volpe, I'd change the big chain ring to a 52, and on the Fuji I
    might change the small chain ring to a 28, but probably not.

    I might change the cassette to an 11/34 on either.

  10. Pat Lamb

    Pat Lamb Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > They have comparable drivetrains, almost exactly the same. The Bianchi
    > has better wheels, hubs, clipless pedals, a threadless headset, and is
    > 1 lb lighter. The Fuji has a threaded headset, nicer cork wrap,
    > Fuji-branded wheelset, nicer road tires, a big rear rack included, and
    > clip/strap pedals.

    FWIW, my Fuji tourer still has the original front wheel. The rear,
    well, you need to have the shop (or yourself) pack the bearings and
    tension the spokes.

    > So I can get this year's Fuji in a questionable color at a bargain,
    > less than next year's MSRP.

    I like my bike's color, but I only notice it as it sits in the corner of
    my office. I never look at it while it's in the garage and I'm in the
    house, and there's better things to look at while riding.

    But YMMV!

    Pat

  11. SMS

    SMS Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > Hey there is a 2005 Fuji Touring sitting at my LBS on sale for $700. A
    > new Volpe is $850.
    >
    > Next year the prices are going up. MSRP for the 2006 Fuji Touring is
    > going up to $900, from $750-800.
    >
    > I am wondering if I should buy the Fuji Touring now. The only reason
    > I'm not, is because I want the Volpe too. Big difference?

    Remember, there is no guarantee that the 2006 Fuji Tour will not be
    decontented, like Fuji wrecked their League road bike in 2005. It's rare
    for their to be improvements. You really don't want to have to get a
    threadless headset, it's a major hassle on a touring bicycle.

  12. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    > The Volpe has lower gearing (48/38/28 chainrings, vs 42/42/30 on the
    > Fuji). That's a meaningful difference.

    EVen with the corrected figures mentioned below this post, it seems
    like this is important enough to ask the shop to change the Fuji.

    > The Fuji has longer chainstays (44 vs 42.5cm). That's also a meaningful
    > difference, particularly for riders using panniers, especially if they
    > have big feet.

    Thank you - I will surely be using panniers on this bike maybe 75% of
    the time, essentially every time I commute. This will be a commuting
    bike.

    > IMO, the Bianchi's spec is generally enough higher to justify its
    > higher cost.

    True, especially with the Bianchi's better wheels. But now the Fuji has
    the chainstay advantage, and I believe the headset advantage (although
    stem variety is much reduced).

    Of course, there's the elephant in the room: fit.

    Thanks for exploring this with me - I can't think of anything else,
    really. Can you?

  13. On 26-Sep-2005, "rdclark" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It costs a little more, but have you looked at the Cannondale T800?

    As long as we are suggesting alternatives, I'll add my $0.02. I just
    bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker. The LBS built it up for me using Deore
    components, nice wheels, etc. for $1,100. I *love* it! The chainstays
    are long enough that I can mount my full-sized Ortliebs on my rear rack
    with no trouble at all.

    Just a thought.

    --mike

    --
    Michael Erickson
    Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

  14. rdclark

    rdclark Guest

    bryanska wrote:
    > > The Volpe has lower gearing (48/38/28 chainrings, vs 42/42/30 on the
    > > Fuji). That's a meaningful difference.

    > EVen with the corrected figures mentioned below this post, it seems
    > like this is important enough to ask the shop to change the Fuji.

    Maybe, maybe not; it's your call. Higher potential speed vs easier
    climbing.

    > > The Fuji has longer chainstays (44 vs 42.5cm). That's also a meaningful
    > > difference, particularly for riders using panniers, especially if they
    > > have big feet.

    > Thank you - I will surely be using panniers on this bike maybe 75% of
    > the time, essentially every time I commute. This will be a commuting
    > bike.

    I use the same panniers on two bikes, one with 45cm stays and one with
    42.5cm. They are smallish panniers, and I wear size 11.5 shoes. I would
    have trouble with full-size panniers on the smaller bike.

    > > IMO, the Bianchi's spec is generally enough higher to justify its
    > > higher cost.

    > True, especially with the Bianchi's better wheels. But now the Fuji has
    > the chainstay advantage, and I believe the headset advantage (although
    > stem variety is much reduced).

    I think the headset debate is irrelevant to anyone who rides in the US
    and plans to lock down their bike's fit once achieved. I used to think
    otherwise, but I haven't changed the height of the stem on my threaded
    bike in several years now.

    > Of course, there's the elephant in the room: fit.
    >
    > Thanks for exploring this with me - I can't think of anything else,
    > really. Can you?

    It costs a little more, but have you looked at the Cannondale T800?
    Even lower gearing than the Bianchi, *really* long chainstays, and
    comparable specs to the Bianchi.

    RichC

    RichC

  15. bryanska

    bryanska Guest

    > I just bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker.

    Surly is great, and local too, right here in MPLS. But the LHT is too
    expensive for me. There are couple of Cross-Checks around here, but
    they're too difficult to find and test in my size.

    Again, I come back to that Fuji for $700, which is low enough to make
    me compromise.

    However, I see it's in red. I don't see that color listed in the 2004,
    2005 or 2006 Fuji specs (on their website). Does anyone know when red
    was offered? If this bike is a 2003 maybe I can talk them down even
    further. At a possible $600, even a wrong color bike is almost
    irresistible. I'm newly house-poor.

  16. SMS

    SMS Guest

    Michael Erickson wrote:
    > On 26-Sep-2005, "rdclark" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>It costs a little more, but have you looked at the Cannondale T800?

    > As long as we are suggesting alternatives, I'll add my $0.02. I just
    > bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker. The LBS built it up for me using Deore
    > components, nice wheels, etc. for $1,100. I *love* it! The chainstays
    > are long enough that I can mount my full-sized Ortliebs on my rear rack
    > with no trouble at all.

    This would be a better option than the Fuji or the Bianchi. Not a bad
    price for a touring bicycle.

  17. SMS

    SMS Guest

    rdclark wrote:

    > It costs a little more, but have you looked at the Cannondale T800?
    > Even lower gearing than the Bianchi, *really* long chainstays, and
    > comparable specs to the Bianchi.

    Except the one spec that is one of the most important considerations in
    a true touring bicycle.

  18. bryanska wrote:

    > Surly is great, and local too, right here in MPLS. But the LHT is too
    > expensive for me. There are couple of Cross-Checks around here, but
    > they're too difficult to find and test in my size.

    Try One on One Bicycle studio on Washington Avenue in downtown Minneapolis.
    It's right next to Cafe Havana. They probably have a half a dozen
    Cross-Checks in there right now.

    http://www.oneononebike.com/

    --mike

    --

  19. bryanska wrote:
    >>Tell the LBS you will be purchasing one or the other, then give them
    >>both an extended test. Take the one that you like the best and gives you
    >>the best fit.

    > [...54cm Fuji fits well...no Volpes in the area in the right size to try...]
    >
    > They have comparable drivetrains, almost exactly the same. The Bianchi
    > has better wheels, hubs, clipless pedals, a threadless headset, and is
    > 1 lb lighter. The Fuji has a threaded headset, nicer cork wrap,
    > Fuji-branded wheelset, nicer road tires, a big rear rack included, and
    > clip/strap pedals.
    >
    > So the Bianchi's advantages are basically pedals, wheelset, and color.
    > The 2005 Fuji's advantages are price, better tires and an included
    > rack. [...]
    >
    > Bianchi costs $850. Add a rack ($40), smoother tires ($40). Total =
    > $930.
    >
    > Fuji costs $700. Add cork ($10), pedals ($40). Total = $750.

    What would it cost you to upgrade the Fuji's wheelset?

    Having bought a bike that had a so-so stock wheelset, and then
    having dropped $400 to get a decent set of reliable wheels, let me say
    that a good set of wheels is not something to be overlooked.

    Fit ├╝ber alles, but don't overlook the wheelset. It's one of the more
    important components of the bike, along with the drivetrain.

    --
    Chris BeHanna
    '03 Specialized Allez Elite 27

  20. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    rdclark wrote:
    > SMS wrote:
    >> rdclark wrote:
    >>
    >>> It costs a little more, but have you looked at the Cannondale T800?
    >>> Even lower gearing than the Bianchi, *really* long chainstays, and
    >>> comparable specs to the Bianchi.

    >> Except the one spec that is one of the most important considerations
    >> in a true touring bicycle.

    > OK, I'll bite. What is the one spec that is one of the most important
    > considerations in a true touring bicycle?

    The one that doesn't fly in your eye?

    (Slow morning.)

    BS