Fuji world

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by Paulanne, May 1, 2004.

1. Paulanne

Paulanne New Member

Is the Fuji world touring bike a good bike for the money
    Thanks
    Paul

Tags:

2. aland

aland New Member

Not sure where you are, so not sure what the going price is. I bought the Fuji World last December for $2,500AUD in Sydney Australia. At the time, the Trek 520 was $2,300 and the Fuji has a Reynolds 853 frame and higher level componentry. Also the Cannondale was over $3,000 for the same componentry. So I tought it represented pretty good value. So far I have done 2,500km on it but I'm yet to tour on it. This will change in 5 weeks when my wife and I go for 6 weeks loaded touring in France (front & rear panniers). I can hardly wait! I'm quite happy with the bike so far. I've been using it for 100km training rides as well as a 200km Audax ride and have had no problems with it other than having to get the rear hub replaced which was a Shimano problem....

Hope this helps

Alan

3. Paulanne

Paulanne New Member

Here the bike is about 1,550,but it's on sale for 1,100 (U.S),I bought it over the weekend,but won't get it for 1 or 2 weeks(they had to order it)I was wondering about the crankset and brakes,do they compare quality wise with shimano ultegra.
    Thanks
    Paul

4. tacomee

tacomee New Member

You're joking, right Paulanne? Everything about the World is pretty world class-- good steel frame, Deore XT & Ritchey parts, very strong rims.

For riding in the real world of crappy roads, traffic, bad weather-- this is one of the best bikes money can buy

5. Paulanne

Paulanne New Member

Thanks for your help,I.m sure I'll be happy with the bike when I get it.
    Thanks again
    Paul

6. aland

aland New Member

The components on it are great and I'm sure you'll be happy with it, though I've been a little disappointed with the performance of the cantilever brakes. I don't think you'll have a problem with the sort of riding you're proposing to do, but I'm off in 5 weeks to France and will be loaded with front & rear panniers and will be decending from some high cols in the Alps and Pyrenees so I want to be very confident about the brakes!!!! I'm thinking of changing to V-brakes...

Alan

7. Paulanne

Paulanne New Member

Don't know about the brakes myself,never had a bike with them on it.But I was told the reason they used cantilever brakes was because they are more dependable on a touring bike.why don't you like them?
    Paul

8. aland

aland New Member

They may be right in what they say, I'm finding that the front brake on mine is ineffective (only slows me slightly) & it's noisy. It has been adjusted to no avail. I could try new brake pads. The rear is satisafactory, but I find that when I'm on a steep descent it's very easy to lock up the back wheel when you want to stop, there's not much ability to gradually apply pressure. This particular issue may improve when the bike has more load on it.

Alan

9. Sawasa

Sawasa New Member

Paul,

could I ask where in Sydney you bought the Fuji world? I'm looking at getting a new touring bike, and I've read good things about it.....

thanks,

Warren

10. Paulanne

Paulanne New Member

Sawasa,Think you have me mixed up with aland.I live in Ohio,got my bike at the Bicycle Shop in Springfield.got a problem getting it though.Fuji won't have anymore for 1 to 3 months,He is going to try and find one at another bike shop,but if he can't I'll have to wait for Fuji to make one,not sure about other sizes,but Fuji don't have any 58cm
    Paul

11. aland

aland New Member

Warren,

My name's Alan by the way. I bought it through Bates bikes in Hurstville (my LBS). I originally found the bike while surfing through the manufacturer's websites. I'd been looking for a touring bike for ages but couldn't find what I wanted. Then I found this bike which was almost exactly what I wanted. I knew Bates stocked Fuji bikes but they hadn't heard of this model (it was a new model for 2004). Next thing I get a call from the importer (who used to work at Bates) who hadn't seen it yet but was going off to the trade show the next week. To cut a long story short, he ordered one in to check it out and I ended up buying it.

Hope this helps

Alan

12. Sawasa

Sawasa New Member

Alan (got your name right this time!),

thanks, much aprreciated - I may well do the same and order one in to try out. Touring bikes are hard to find in Sydney!

regards,

Warren