Fulcrum racing 3 problem

Yonni

May 1, 2010
My rear racing 3 hub seems to have a bit of lateral play. The casette is not loose but the axle has a mm or two play which means my wheel can be wiggled from side to side when its secured in the frame. Not confidence inspiring on fast decents There appears to be an alan key grub screw on the axle but it is a size that none of my 3 sets of keys fit. Does this sound like the cones need tightening? And if how how is that done on Fulcrum wheels?

Anyone know about the hubs on racing 3s BTW these are 2009 and NOT the 2-way fit model.

alienator said:
You can dowload the owner's manual right here. The hubs are essentially the same now, as then.

Well thanks for the reply but there is nothing in that manual other than how to fit a tyre and change a casette. Not even a diagram of the makeup of the wheel.

I have those wheels. Zero play in mine.

I think i saw a YouTube video on how to service them with decent detail. Have a look on YouTube. Otherwise, you may have to head down to your LBS for help.

Good luck.

Yonni said:
Well thanks for the reply but there is nothing in that manual other than how to fit a tyre and change a casette. Not even a diagram of the makeup of the wheel.

The parts/spares documents usually include exploded diagrams. Plus, google is a handy tool.

Ah! I had a look before I posted but I didn't search the term "service". Got it now. Looks like I just need an new key and I'll be wobble free.

+1 rep point to that man!

Yonni said:
My rear racing 3 hub seems to have a bit of lateral play. The casette is not loose but the axle has a mm or two play which means my wheel can be wiggled from side to side when its secured in the frame. Not confidence inspiring on fast decents There appears to be an alan key grub screw on the axle but it is a size that none of my 3 sets of keys fit. Does this sound like the cones need tightening? And if how how is that done on Fulcrum wheels?

Anyone know about the hubs on racing 3s BTW these are 2009 and NOT the 2-way fit model.

That little bolt is 2.5mm and while the wheel is on the bike, loosen that bolt, rotate the plate clockwise a wee bit to take the play out, then retighten the screw. How Campagnolo/Fulcrum hubs are adjusted.

Thanks for the key size. It looks pretty straight forward on youtube so I'll get a key today and have a go. Can you tell I'm used to Shimano kit...?

Yonni said:
Thanks for the key size. It looks pretty straight forward on youtube so I'll get a key today and have a go. Can you tell I'm used to Shimano kit...?

We all have our cross to bear.....

Peter@vecchios said:
We all have our cross to bear.....

I think you'll find it's spelt "Crossbar" :p

All fixed now and the addition of a new set of cleats and the bike feels sooo much more responsive. I had no idea it was affecting the handling so much.