FULCRUM ZERO vs FULCRUM ONE vs ZIPP 101

jkfelix69

Mar 19, 2011
I am currently wanting to upgrade my wheelset. I ride a Cervelo S1 with a set of Easton Circuit and want to upgrade to a more responsive set of wheels. I am situated in a mountainous area with a lot of wind so deep dish isn't really an option. I generally ride at about 30km/h and am looking for a set of wheels to take me to the next level, although I know that the work that I put in is most important (not the equipment).

My focus is the Half Iron Man event and hence aerodynamics is also important. I can buy a set of fulcrum One for $850, or Fulcrum One 2-way for $1050, or the Fulcrum Zero for $1200 or a set of Zipp 101 for $1100. I don't want to spend too much as I want to
upgrade to a Trek Madone in the next 3 years so would rather spend the extra cash then.

I don't know if spending $1000+ on an upgrade is worth it?

My aim is to buy a set of wheels that will be good for training and racing.
I.e. Improve my performance and in doing so feel that I have spent my money well on an upgrade.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Hi jkfelix69, another choice would be Prolite Bracciano ... http://www.pro-liteoz.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=19 or the Williams 19 or 30 wheelset.

Those are all good wheelsets you're considering and you can't go wrong with any of them. But if timed solo events like the Half Ironman are really your focus and you're also looking for one set of wheels for all your riding (as opposed to a race day only set) then I'd strongly suggest a mid deep alloy clincher wheelset that's still light. Something like:

http://www.rolfprima.com/products-Vigor.php

or

http://www.amclassic.com/en/products/roadwheels/420road.php

Those are both very light and reasonably deep and aero wheelsets that won't be a handful in crosswinds and are sturdy enough for day to day use. If you're primarily focused on wheel weight over aerodynamics (nice since you live in the hills, but aero is still really important especially during your target events) then I'd look for something built around the ultra light Stan's 340 wheelset like:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH265B02-Stans+Ztr+Alpha+340+Pro+Wheelset+11.aspx?sc=FRGL

Since the Easton's are really good day to day clinchers you might also consider a race day set of wheels in which case I'd look closely at some 50-60mm class carbon tubulars which are a great balance for weight and aerodynamics and can be found from a variety of vendors at reasonable prices but I wouldn't ride them everyday and much prefer clinchers for training and everyday use.

Good luck,
-Dave

I sweated the decision over the Fulcrum 0's vs the 101's for awhile. Both really nce looking wheels. My teamates tried pushing me to carbon but I love riding in the rain am a one wheelset kinda guy (silly I know).

I ended up going for the 101's because I wanted a slightly wider rim. 21.5mm vs 19mm and when all was said and done the 0's were too similar to my Mavics. Continental determined that the HED Ardennes at 23mm ran 18% lower rolling resistance (all else equal) with the same tire on the wider rim - Continental's findings not HED's. Apparently the difference is not as discernable with the 101's because they are not as wide. Also supposedly the wider rim reduces the lightbulb effect that can nullify any effect an aero rim may have running with aything wider than a 21mm tire. I also chose the Zipps over HED's as there is no suggested rider weight limit - I tend to be a bit rough on my equipment. Not an issue for the 0's. Finally, and again supposedly, the increased width allows for more air volume thus a lower tire pressure, and more comfort with less likelyhood of pinch flatting. My zipps are comfy nonetheless - because they are wider, maybe, because I now run with an Open CX instead of a Conti, probably. Also, apparently I'm 1 sec faster over each kilometer too, oh boy!

I almost went with those silver Rolph Prima's too though, another seriously good looking wheel but also 19mm. Except the pair hanging in my local shop which affords me the team discount went to another lucky customer.

One thing that is very tangible, my Zipps are noticeably less affected by heavy crosswinds than my low profile Mavic Elites.

Don't think you would go wrong with either or any of the other recommendations.

Next stop... 303's, the ultimate do it all wheel. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal .

Zipps are easily the better choice.

+1