Full carbon bike for racing?

drPD

Jul 19, 2007
Ok, I am thinking about to buy a new bike that could be for racing.
rolleyes.gif

I am thinking about Fuji Team (full carbon) or Cannondale CAAD9 105 (alu).

In many posts I read that full carbon bikes are not good for racing and it sholud be better use alu bikes.
On the other side the Fuji Team are desingned as "racing machine".

I would like to use the bike for local racing and sprint triatlons.

I would like to hear you who have experience in road racing. Please comment this.

Best Regards,
PD.
smile.gif

Everyone here prefers carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, steel, magnesium, ???? alloy, and bamboo. And before you or anyone else asks, yes, I have been nominated to speak for everyone.

You should purchase the bike that you like best, whatever the material.

Scotty_Dog said:
Everyone here prefers carbon fiber, titanium, aluminum, steel, magnesium, ???? alloy, and bamboo. And before you or anyone else asks, yes, I have been nominated to speak for everyone.

What about Chrom-Moly?

jhuskey said:
What about Chrom-Moly?
Sorry, but only dorks and mommas boys ride on chrom-moly.:D

Chromium molybdenum falls into both the "steel" and "???? alloy" categories listed above.

Scotty_Dog said:
Sorry, but only dorks and mommas boys ride on chrom-moly.:D

Chromium molybdenum falls into both the "steel" and "???? alloy" categories listed above.

I know but I wanted to add to the confusion but I did ride one in the 80's and wasn't a mommas boy.

Edit: I probably was considered a dork since people that wore Lycra back then were especially wierd specimens of humanity.

Scotty_Dog said:

Yes, I agree with Scotty_Dog. Go to your LBS and try out a few carbon and a few bikes that are aluminum.. Just decide for yourself. It's all personal preference I guess.

Now I have a steel bike that have 27 lbs weigth. Yes, it is on an heavy side.
eek.gif

I prefare to do triathlon but a few of my frends ask me to try road race.
rolleyes.gif

I would like to have a new bike with less lbs.
biggrin.gif
I am considering between Fuji Team and Cannondale CAAD9 but the funny thing is that the Fuji cost less here 400 USD than CAAD9.
smile.gif

I am 41 year old and I am not professional racer.

Any suggestion from you is appreciated.

Best Regards,
PD.

drPD said:
Now I have a steel bike that have 27 lbs weigth. Yes, it is on an heavy side.
eek.gif

I prefare to do triathlon but a few of my frends ask me to try road race.
rolleyes.gif

I would like to have a new bike with less lbs.
biggrin.gif
I am considering between Fuji Team and Cannondale CAAD9 but the funny thing is that the Fuji cost less here 400 USD than CAAD9.
smile.gif

I am 41 year old and I am not professional racer.

Any suggestion from you is appreciated.

Best Regards,
PD.
Have you tested both these bikes out yet? If not, I would go and give them a ride. If money is not an issue, I would defiantly go with the Cannondale CAAD9, just because I have experienced great results with some Cannondale bikes. However, go to your shop, and ask around about the two bikes and find out more information and such!
smile.gif

On equal basis b/n the two, the key consideration with CF bikes for racing falls with the fact that you need to be prepared for damage and cost of replacement. If you can afford it, then go for CF.

Not too long ago I got a full carbon bike, even the wheels. The only thing that is not Carbon is the seatpost due to problems a while ago with one. I race all over Europe with it, the ride is smooth and stiff, I love it. My bike weights only 6900 grams with the alloy seat post and some heavy pedals that I do not know why I cannot live without. Go Carbon, you won’t regret it

there is nothing wrong with carbon for racing... did anyone actually give you a reason... why carbon is bad for racing. if you crash aluminum as hard as it takes to crack a carbon fram the aluminum bike would almost 100% be toast too. i've race the same carbon frame for the last 4 years and no problems.

a bike that might be good for a tri - road racing combo might be the cervelo soloist

md.jpg

2 grand with ultegra http://www.racycles.com/CerveloSoloistTeamUltegraBike-idv-5943-255.html

No, no, no. The big difference between these two bikes has nothing to do with the material. It is the geometry. The Cannondale has quick and lively handling. It is made for crits and is pretty agressive. The Fuji has more of a road racing geometry, doesn't turn as quick but is more comfortable on long rides.

Does anybody have a good article that explains geometry? I think it is overlooked far too often.

Frigo's Luggage said:
No, no, no. The big difference between these two bikes has nothing to do with the material. It is the geometry. The Cannondale has quick and lively handling. It is made for crits and is pretty agressive. The Fuji has more of a road racing geometry, doesn't turn as quick but is more comfortable on long rides.

Does anybody have a good article that explains geometry? I think it is overlooked far too often.
Well, of course the most important thing is the SIZE and if it fits to you comfortably. A superslooping giant in aluminium can be more comfortable than a sistem six oversized. I suggest a biomechanical visit. Then, the material is not that influent: here amateurs have 70% carbon fiber frames and a good 30% aluminium (ah ok 1% titanium + steel); carbon tends to crack with time (sooner or later....), so I'm preferring alu (the weight is comparable, a good easton alu frame is 1050 g, a bad carbon taiwan can be 1150...)