Full Ceramics

Peter@vecchios said:
FSA has never seen a gadgety idea it didn't like. FSA has fallem out of our shop because of crappy bearing and chainring quality. They are more about flash than function, IMO.

Same grade bearings across the line. Yep, crappy bearings across the line. Product managers have been doing hidden spec for decades, which reduces costs along with durability(Where's my tennis racket!!).

Once more, a 'thing' to point at in a flat market. For those shops that are unlucky enough to embrace a bike with integrated seatmast..how do you do test rides? have a size run of $5000+ bikes?

The 'analysts' in various online and print publications hoot and holler about all the silly stuff in bikes today. My list of sillyness gets longer each day.

That's funny you should mention intergrated seat masts. Prior to pulling the trigger on my Cervelo I visited a shop far out of the way from where I live and they were a Scott dealer. I believe the Scott Addict to be a very impressive bike weight wise with all the cutting edge components straight from the factory. They had three different models next to the CR1 team that the Addict replaced. It didn't take long for common sense to kick in when my girlfriend who hardly rides alot pointed out the seatpost can't be adjusted. :rolleyes: I went what I thought was all out buying my dream bike but that was something I couldn't even make sense of. I mean what if for a myriad of reasons you decide to sell the frame. :rolleyes:

On a side note I see someone is selling a frame on Ebay identical to my r3sl with a buy it now of 2800$ and the bidding is already up to about 2300$. Makes me feel good as I got mine for 2200$ under the condition it was to be built up by my lbs. At least I got what should be considered a fair deal, I think?

By the way I think the idea behind ceramics is great but the price makes them seem a bit impractical and I agree they would only be more of a bling thing than the end result of being held back from the win if you didn't have them. Just too many of other factors then again on that quest for innovation. Yeah you're so right on about FSA. They make a very enticing crank but I hear/read a lot of consumer complaints.

gemship said:
Oh yeah? what say you pizza face? :)

By the way I want to add I'm sorry for the smart ass reply quoting you Camillo. as I read the thread the other day from beginning to end I couldn't resist making it. I actually do think diet is huge, just can't go wrong with good diet. May not help you live longer but its all about a better quality of life. Yes I struggle to stay away from Burger King on a weekly basis :p

Peter@vecchios said:
FSA has never seen a gadgety idea it didn't like. FSA has fallen out of our shop because of crappy bearing and chainring quality.
Have their wheels improved over the years? The RD400s have probably the worst reviews ever on Road Bike Review

swampy1970 said:
Speaking of which, it always made me wonder why people don't check for the correct adjustment of cup-and-cone bearings when the wheel is in the bike - instead of farting about for hours with the wheel sat in their laps.
exactly! That's something I only picked up about 5 years ago

swampy1970 said:
FWIW.... WD40 provides enough lubrication for a 5 minute event on the track. $5 can of spray or $400 on bearings..... That tidbit of info was originally from The University of Manchester - one of the better engineering schools around.
WD40 is a rust preventative. Why not get the thinnest synthetic lubricating oil you can find and try that? The higher film strength would surely keep it around longer.

I agree the integrated seat masts are not the great idea. I don't buy that they make the bike stiffer, if anything I want a more compliant seat post! I can see that it make the bike torsionally stiffer either.
The resale and bike fit/test is an issue. But notice that most brands only have them on thier top of the line machine, intended for top end racing price is no problem sort of thing. Resale is a minor consideration when designing the absolute bike you can.
If you don't like it buy the next model down.

Back to the ceramic conversation a little more...SRAM are doing a BB30 (in combination with ZIPP?)

For BB30 to really take off you need Shimano Giant and Trek on board (ie large market volume). However shimano hasn't been that successful with tubeless wheels.
Down side to this point is all three above have products that keep the bearings the same size and width but within the frame....

531Aussie said:
Have their wheels improved over the years? The RD400s have probably the worst reviews ever on Road Bike Review

We don't sell them but have serviced enough to know that like their BBs, not the greatest reliability or service life. Lots of flash tho.

Phill P said:
I agree the integrated seat masts are not the great idea. I don't buy that they make the bike stiffer, if anything I want a more compliant seat post! I can see that it make the bike torsionally stiffer either.
The resale and bike fit/test is an issue. But notice that most brands only have them on thier top of the line machine, intended for top end racing price is no problem sort of thing. Resale is a minor consideration when designing the absolute bike you can.
If you don't like it buy the next model down.

Back to the ceramic conversation a little more...SRAM are doing a BB30 (in combination with ZIPP?)

For BB30 to really take off you need Shimano Giant and Trek on board (ie large market volume). However shimano hasn't been that successful with tubeless wheels.
Down side to this point is all three above have products that keep the bearings the same size and width but within the frame....

Sram owns Truvativ, all their cranks are made by them. Sram, like FSA, are gadget driven.

I can buy the gadget comment for FSA (carbon everything, shaped this and that, strange hub flanges, over marketing of ceramic benefits).

Can you justify the same for SRAM? The is a fine line between gadget driven an design innovation/improvement.