Full Face Helmet-peripheral vision?

Steffik

Guest
I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
the way to the trail* I think I might like to be a wimp and look into
full-face helmets. Probably something more like the Giro Switchblade
than a BMX or downhill style.

Questions for owners;

How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
light traffic?

And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
(cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
or can you detach them?

Thanks for any advice,
Steff

Steffik wrote:

> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> or can you detach them?

Dunno about all that other stuff, but I gotta have a visor.
If you ride sunrise or sunset, you need one.
The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
right where the sun is.

-Bruce

Steffik wrote:
> I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
> hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
> catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
> the way to the trail*

I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back :)

> How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> light traffic?

You definitely have to be a little more aware of what's going on around
you, as they do reduce your peripheral senses a bit. I find they feel
more secure than the more traditional 'aerodynamic cycling helmets',
which always felt uncomfortable to me as if they were just sitting on
top of my head rather than enveloping it, and felt they could easily be
detached in a fall. Any is better than none though, as long as it
doesn't seriously hinder hearing/vision in traffic.

> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> or can you detach them?

Visors are to keep the sun out of your eyes - if you're lucky enough to
live somewhere that has much sun :)
They're often detachable - plastic bmx-style helmet visors are usually
held on by plastic screws, fibreglass helmets sometimes use metal
press-studs. Some helmets look OK with the visor off, others look a
little strange.

Don't worry about looking silly wearing a helmet, it's sillier not to
wear one in traffic.

"Steffik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> light traffic?

I don't have any negative experiences with hearing and peripheral vision
while wearing my full face. I have no problem riding in light traffic with
one on either.

> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> or can you detach them?

I have the SixSixOne Full Bravo and the visor comes off but I have never had
a compelling reason to take it off.

If you feel like you need a FFace helmet then don't choose the Giro
Switchblade. That thing would bust up in a real crash.

"Steffik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
> hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
> catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
> the way to the trail* I think I might like to be a wimp and look into
> full-face helmets. Probably something more like the Giro Switchblade
> than a BMX or downhill style.
>
> Questions for owners;
>
> How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> light traffic?
>
> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> or can you detach them?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Steff

The Giro Switchblade is no longer in production. So you're limited to a
bicycle rated full face helmet like the 661 full bravo or others with vents.
Peripheral vision hasn't been a problem for me with any full face helmet
made for goggles.

Visors for helmets offer shade from the sun but is mainly a fashion
statement. I've found I ride better without one as I can focus further on
down the trail. Most are adjustable or easily removable.

Mike

> Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
> > right where the sun is.

> Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

After several miles of riding it can be a pain in the neck, literally.

What's next Shoei full face w/ smoked visor and Aerostich Roadcrafters?
I wonder if I can get the Frog cleats attached to the bottom of my Sidi
Motorcycle boots?-(

From: "J G" <[email protected]>
>"JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
> > Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > >The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
> > >right where the sun is.

> >Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

> After several miles of riding it can be a pain in the neck, literally.

The last time I checked, the Sun rises and sets pretty rapidly.

JD

Steffik said:

[...]

Hearing, I never considered as i didn't ride in traffic. But lack of vision is the reason i stopped wearing full-face. That was dirt jumping bmx, I would never ride with one while cars are zooming past.

Visors are detachable on most helmets.

Have you thought about the skater style helmets? They offer more skull coverage than the aero ones, and more vision than full-face.
$20 @ danscomp.com

"Steffik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
> hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
> catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
> the way to the trail* I think I might like to be a wimp and look into
> full-face helmets. Probably something more like the Giro Switchblade
> than a BMX or downhill style.
>
> Questions for owners;
>
> How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> light traffic?
>
> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> or can you detach them?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
> Steff

I have a Giro switchblade, to be honest I'm not sure that the detatchable
'chin guard' would do much good in a crash. No problems wih peripheral
vision or hearing as on the switchblade these bits are the same as with a
normal helmet, would be different for a proper full face I imagine. Only
thing it really effects is other peoples ability to hear you as your voice
is muffled by the guard...

As for the peak well mine snapped off about 4 years ago and I haven't missed
it.

Steve.

Can O' Ale <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steffik wrote:
> > I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
> > hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
> > catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
> > the way to the trail*

> I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
> riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
> freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
> wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back :)

Ouch! At least you have a *good* excuse. Hard front braking was a
childhood habit with me; I thought I'd trained myself out of it and
indeed I do remember thinking "Lots of back, little front, lots of
back-waaaark!" and then lying on the tarmac with a small bevy of road
cyclists looking concernedly at me. Luckily I'm in the UK and the
'trails' around where I live hardly count as such, so I'm not likely
to encounter seriously diffucult terrain off-road.

> > How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> > That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> > light traffic?

> You definitely have to be a little more aware of what's going on around
> you, as they do reduce your peripheral senses a bit. I find they feel
> more secure than the more traditional 'aerodynamic cycling helmets',
> which always felt uncomfortable to me as if they were just sitting on
> top of my head rather than enveloping it, and felt they could easily be
> detached in a fall. Any is better than none though, as long as it
> doesn't seriously hinder hearing/vision in traffic.

Apparently some of the more aerodynamic styles are easier to knock or
drag off your head in a fall-less rounded shape, more protrusions.
Unfortunately, I may have to accept that, since my traffic sense is
pretty cruddy at the best of times and a very enveloping helmet might
be dangerous-the best protection from an accident is not to have an
accident at all.

><snip some stuff about visors>
> Don't worry about looking silly wearing a helmet, it's sillier not to
> wear one in traffic.

Excellent point. And, in fact, some of the full face ones *do* look
satisfyingly menacing; with that and some official looking reflective
bands I'd like to think motorists would give me a wide berth... :-D

Thanks for the advice,
Steff

Mr_Kingkillaha <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Steffik Wrote:
> >
> ><snip silly cycling accident and wish for a full face helmet>
> > Questions for owners;
> > How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
> > That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
> > light traffic?
> > And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
> > (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
> > the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
> > or can you detach them?
> > Thanks for any advice,
> > Steff

> Hearing, I never considered as i didn't ride in traffic. But lack of
> vision is the reason i stopped wearing full-face. That was dirt
> jumping bmx, I would never ride with one while cars are zooming past.

The range of opinions that have already come up in this thread is
quite interesting. Seems some people are much more sensitive to
reductions in their peripheral senses. I think I might be one of
those, so probably no full-face for me. I'll still pop down to the LBS
and try some on, though.

> Visors are detachable on most helmets.
>
> Have you thought about the skater style helmets? They offer more skull
> coverage than the aero ones, and more vision than full-face.
> $20 @ danscomp.com

Thanks, nope, hadn't thought of that. I *do* like the extra coverage
round the back and sides, but I think skate helmets are rated for a
different set of impacts-falling backwards on your head a few times
rather than one or two very hard impacts in quick sucession, which is
what you tend to get in a bicycle crash. I suppose I could find some
rated for both sports, though, and I'd certainly feel more secure.

Thanks,
Steff

"Steffik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can O' Ale <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > Steffik wrote:
> > > I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
> > > hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
> > > catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
> > > the way to the trail*

> > I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
> > riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
> > freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
> > wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back :)

> Ouch! At least you have a *good* excuse. Hard front braking was a
> childhood habit with me; I thought I'd trained myself out of it and
> indeed I do remember thinking "Lots of back, little front, lots of
> back-waaaark!" and then lying on the tarmac with a small bevy of road
> cyclists looking concernedly at me. Luckily I'm in the UK and the
> 'trails' around where I live hardly count as such, so I'm not likely
> to encounter seriously diffucult terrain off-road.

you *should* be using more front brake than back, you just need to learn to
control it more. Relying on the rear brake will probably end in a skid,
especially on loose surfaces off-road. Skidding = trail erosion = a bad
thing.

Steve.

> Have you thought about the skater style helmets?

Been wearing one for YEARS

JD wrote:
> From: "J G" <[email protected]>
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
>>>
>>> Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

>> After several miles of riding it can be a pain in the neck,
>> literally.

> The last time I checked, the Sun rises and sets pretty rapidly.
>
> JD

True enough, but I really like having a visor on a mountain bike too, and
not just at sunrise/set. My aging (soon to be replaced) Giro has a removable
one. If I ever get out on my road bike (oh the horror!) then I take it off
or I find myself straining my neck to see the road ahead. On the mountain
bike I like keeping the sun off my face not only for enhanced vision, but
also for additional sun protection for my face.

To each his own...

Matt

Steffik wrote:
> Mr_Kingkillaha <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Steffik Wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip silly cycling accident and wish for a full face helmet>
>>> Questions for owners;
>>> How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
>>> That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
>>> light traffic?
>>> And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
>>> (cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really
>>> felt the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the
>>> helmet or can you detach them?
>>> Thanks for any advice,
>>> Steff

>> Hearing, I never considered as i didn't ride in traffic. But lack of
>> vision is the reason i stopped wearing full-face. That was dirt
>> jumping bmx, I would never ride with one while cars are zooming past.

> The range of opinions that have already come up in this thread is
> quite interesting. Seems some people are much more sensitive to
> reductions in their peripheral senses. I think I might be one of
> those, so probably no full-face for me. I'll still pop down to the LBS
> and try some on, though.
>
>> Visors are detachable on most helmets.
>>
>> Have you thought about the skater style helmets? They offer more
>> skull coverage than the aero ones, and more vision than full-face.
>> $20 @ danscomp.com

> Thanks, nope, hadn't thought of that. I *do* like the extra coverage
> round the back and sides, but I think skate helmets are rated for a
> different set of impacts-falling backwards on your head a few times
> rather than one or two very hard impacts in quick sucession, which is
> what you tend to get in a bicycle crash. I suppose I could find some
> rated for both sports, though, and I'd certainly feel more secure.
>
> Thanks,
> Steff

There are also "freeride" helmets with non-removable visors (sort of
beak-style that would offer some face protection a removable visor would
not). They also offer more coverage like a skateboard helmet, but are aimed
specifically at cyclists. I know Giro makes one and I'm sure there's others
too. Maybe this would be the right compromise for you.

Matt

"spademan o---[\) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Steffik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can O' Ale <[email protected]> wrote in message

> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
> > > riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
> > > freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
> > > wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back :)

> > Ouch! At least you have a *good* excuse. Hard front braking was a
> > childhood habit with me; I thought I'd trained myself out of it and
> > indeed I do remember thinking "Lots of back, little front, lots of
> > back-waaaark!" and then lying on the tarmac with a small bevy of road
> > cyclists looking concernedly at me. Luckily I'm in the UK and the
> > 'trails' around where I live hardly count as such, so I'm not likely
> > to encounter seriously diffucult terrain off-road.

> you *should* be using more front brake than back, you just need to learn to
> control it more. Relying on the rear brake will probably end in a skid,
> especially on loose surfaces off-road. Skidding = trail erosion = a bad
> thing.
>
> Steve.

What I normally do is take the edge off the speed with the back and
finish up with the front; is that right?

From what I remember while I was cycling semi-regularly, I rarely
skidded, at least not enough to feel (not from good technique, more
because I'm very scared of the bike going out of control); this was a
different situation, an emergency stop on an empty road and I 'judged'
(well, as much as you can judge in the few milliseconds before an
accident) that as I was probably going to lose control if I stopped in
time it would be safer to slip to the side rather than go over the
handlebars, although I ended up doing this *anyway*.

Steff