Full fairing for a DF anyone?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Feb 17, 2003.

  1. Paul Worden

    Paul Worden Guest

    I can only imagine what would happen in a side wind.... unrideable

    Paul W

  2. "Paul Worden" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I can only imagine what would happen in a side wind.... unrideable
    >
    > Paul W

    I've never seen a full fairing on an upright bike yet that I really liked. That's one thing some
    recumbents do real well while at the same time it's one thing that uprights do poorly. This bike
    reminds me of the old Aeroshell bikes....anyone remember them. I have this funny story...well it was
    funny once anyway...At my first HPV race a LONG time ago,there were several Aeroshell bikes
    competing. They were strange bikes, there was a bottom skirt and then there was the upper part, I
    can't really tell you how it all bolted on the bike,but I remember that it closed towards the front
    kinda like a clam shell. Well anyway here we are during one of the road races and the wind was
    getting stronger and stronger, and about halfway thru the race as I'm on the back part of the course
    running thru a corner when I saw a piece of plastic in the middle of the track. Next corner and
    another piece of what now looks like body work...another turn and a bigger piece of something.
    Finally in the next corner I found out what it was...the Aeroshell had split fully open and on the
    ground was the racer and about a hundred pieces of bodywork....I forget who was racing the thing,
    but he was just busting out laughing when I saw him later. I guess the wind had taken it's toll on
    the latch and it started to come apart and he was trying to hold it together and race, but a huge
    gust of wind hit it just right and pried it open. Never saw the Aeroshells again after that.

    Freddy

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

  4. I remember racing against a couple of faired d/f which worked OK, but they couldn't really be
    described as fully-faired as the riders' heads and legs were exposed. Nigel Leaper's example had a
    composite handlebar fairing and lycra enclosure, and was thus dubbed the "Sports Bra", while someone
    (Mark?) had a more enveloping fairing of clear plastic film on a racer with a reversed fork and
    small front wheel. This one *was* fast, but that probably had more to do with the fact that young
    Mr. Webster was, at the time, the cycling champion of the British Army.

    Some bloke turned up at the two-hour race at Castle Combe with a partial correx fairing a year or
    two back, but took it off before the race started as it was quite a windy day. In spite of someone
    having warned us before the race "watch him, he's fast", he was a couple of (2 mile) laps down on
    the unfaired leaders when he retired with a broken gear cable...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. Additional: There was, of course, the Flying Greenhouse - see
    http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/mags/BMJun83_01.htm and
    http://legslarry.crosswinds.net/mags/BMJun83_04.htm. Not as fast in a straight line as the same
    team's recumbent tandem streamliner - The Dark Horse - but evil quick on a twisty circuit, with it
    being both light and powered by a pair of well-respected time-triallers.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/