Full fenders for Trek XO-1?

gregk

Aug 20, 2003
I'm wanting to put some full-length fenders on my commuter/winter trainer/cyclocross. It's a Trek XO-1. I've got 700x32's on it. There are eyelets on the fork and right near the rear dropouts. It looks like fenders will work, but I'm concerned at the lack of a chainstay 'gusset'- a lot of bikes have this 'bridge' welded between the chainstays near the bottom bracket. Then they thread a hole in there for the rear fender to attach to. Can I put on full fenders without this? Does anybody have an XO-1 with fenders or have any recommendations for me?

gregk said:
I'm wanting to put some full-length fenders on my commuter/winter trainer/cyclocross. It's a Trek XO-1. I've got 700x32's on it. There are eyelets on the fork and right near the rear dropouts. It looks like fenders will work, but I'm concerned at the lack of a chainstay 'gusset'- a lot of bikes have this 'bridge' welded between the chainstays near the bottom bracket. Then they thread a hole in there for the rear fender to attach to. Can I put on full fenders without this? Does anybody have an XO-1 with fenders or have any recommendations for me?

Yes, you can put a fender on there. If it fits between the tire and the seat tube, you can use a zip-tie to secure it to the seat tube-just be sure not to disrupt the action of the front derailleur.

Punch a couple of small holes in the fender and thread the plastic zip tie through the holes and around the seat tube. It is not elegant, but it will hold it.

John M said:
Yes, you can put a fender on there. If it fits between the tire and the seat tube, you can use a zip-tie to secure it to the seat tube-just be sure not to disrupt the action of the front derailleur.

Punch a couple of small holes in the fender and thread the plastic zip tie through the holes and around the seat tube. It is not elegant, but it will hold it.

Thanks for the reply- I'll give that a try! I really need some fender action for this rainy Indiana autumn weather.