Full Length Grip Shifts?

Status

Edward Holt

Guest
My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered
some Rockets to replace the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip Shifts
mechanism is only half the length of the full grip - what's changed?

As for Gripshift I think they're not precise anyway - but that's just my opinion

Full length shiftgrips wouldn't provide a good grip on the bar, would they?

I've been using Grip Shift but now I'm glad with my Rapid Fire :)

Julius

"Edward Holt" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
> rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've
> ordered some Rockets to replace the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip
> Shifts mechanism is only half the length
of
> the full grip - what's changed?

My 98 Proflex / K2 came with Rapid Fire before weeksend I changed them to Sram Grip Shift. The same
with the GT. The Raleigh M 60 came with Grip Shift.. The ACCESS I built up with Grip Shift. The K2
Attack came with Grip Shift. The Schwinn Probe came with Friction Shifters changed to Grip Shift..
GT came to me with 1st generation Grip Shift one was snapped at elbow replaced with newer Grip
Shift. I still own them all but one GT.

Fire up MTB 03

"Edward Holt" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
> rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've
> ordered some Rockets to replace the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip
> Shifts mechanism is only half the length of the full grip - what's changed?

Using the whole grip would make the shifters prone to accidental shifts. I guess riding styles
have changed enough from '96 to where enough riders want to be able to apply twist to the bars
without shifting.

Exactly what I was trying to say wis my limited noledge of ze English languatch - just jokin' :)

Julius

Anyone agree that Grip Shift sucks anyway?

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:55:19 +0100, Edward Holt <[email protected]> wrote:
> My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
> rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've
> ordered some Rockets to replace the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip
> Shifts mechanism is only half the length of the full grip - what's changed?

You really don't want the entire grip to move do you??? That would totally freak me out...heck, when
_half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!

Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:55:19 +0100, Edward Holt <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
> > rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've
> > ordered some Rockets to
replace
> > the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half
> > the length
of
> > the full grip - what's changed?
>
> You really don't want the entire grip to move do you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
> when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!
>
> Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

Grip shifts freak me out.

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:55:19 +0100, Edward Holt <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts. By that I mean the whole of the
> > rubberised grip was used as a shifting mechanism. As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've
> > ordered some Rockets to
replace
> > the Shimanos on my current bike. I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half
> > the length
of
> > the full grip - what's changed?
>
> You really don't want the entire grip to move do you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
> when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!
>
> Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

I'd actually prefer it if the whole grip moved. I never had a problem with my old bike which had
full length grip shifters.

"Julius" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Exactly what I was trying to say wis my limited noledge of ze English languatch - just jokin' :)
>
> Julius
>
> Anyone agree that Grip Shift sucks anyway?

Not all gripshifts are the same. If I could find a replacement set of SRT-600's or 800's I wouldn't
have to move on to the technological minefield that is the thumbshifter.

Steve.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:58:36 +0100, Edward Holt <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> You really don't want the entire grip to move do you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
>> when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!
>>
>> Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"
>
> I'd actually prefer it if the whole grip moved. I never had a problem with my old bike which had
> full length grip shifters.

But what happens when you are pushing the bike forward, pulling a wheelie, or just maneuvering
quickly in some tech stuff??? Don't you get unwanted shifting?

"Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:58:36 +0100, Edward Holt <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > "Gman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> You really don't want the entire grip to move do you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
> >> when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!
> >>
> >> Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"
> >
> > I'd actually prefer it if the whole grip moved. I never had a problem with my old bike which had
> > full length grip
shifters.

> But what happens when you are pushing the bike forward, pulling a wheelie, or just maneuvering
> quickly in some tech stuff??? Don't you get unwanted shifting?

Surprisingly, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.