Full Length Mud guards

JoeDe

Guest
I have a new commuter bike due to an unfortunate meeting with a car writing
off my previous bike I used as a commuter two weeks ago. No broken bones but
the usual bruising stuff that hursts, keeps you awake at nights and just
takes time to heal.
I'd like to fit full length mud guards to it but a couple of lbs were
suggesting those plastic add on types you see a lot of these days but they
don't cover as much of the wheel as the full length do.
I don't use guards on my road bike but for week day commuting, and although
you still get wet when it unusually rains in Melb, it's nice to have less
road grime all over you.

Question is for suggestions on where best to purchase a set as you don't see
them used much these days.

It has 700C wheels, 28mm tyres, V-brakes, ample room between wheel and seat
tube with all the required mounting points for bolts etc.

JoeDe

"JoeDe" wrote:

> I don't use guards on my road bike but for week day commuting, and
> although you still get wet when it unusually rains in Melb, it's nice to
> have less road grime all over you.
>
> Question is for suggestions on where best to purchase a set as you don't
> see them used much these days.
>
> It has 700C wheels, 28mm tyres, V-brakes, ample room between wheel and
> seat tube with all the required mounting points for bolts etc.

Definitely go for full length, they will keep you drier, and the bike
cleaner. SKS are the 'bees knees', look for them, same as the old ESGE of
the 80s. Zefal also make a good full length guard.

For shops try:
Abbotsford Cycles (near Richmond Station)
St Kilda Cycles
Cycle Science in Mitcham have them too
Ivanhoe Cycles may be another source
Cecil Walkers may have them (?)

The only other thing to add for extra dry riding is a mud-flap on the front
mudguard.
--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"JoeDe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have a new commuter bike due to an unfortunate meeting with a car writing
>off my previous bike I used as a commuter two weeks ago. No broken bones
>but the usual bruising stuff that hursts, keeps you awake at nights and
>just takes time to heal.
> I'd like to fit full length mud guards to it but a couple of lbs were
> suggesting those plastic add on types you see a lot of these days but they
> don't cover as much of the wheel as the full length do.
> I don't use guards on my road bike but for week day commuting, and
> although you still get wet when it unusually rains in Melb, it's nice to
> have less road grime all over you.
>
> Question is for suggestions on where best to purchase a set as you don't
> see them used much these days.
>
> It has 700C wheels, 28mm tyres, V-brakes, ample room between wheel and
> seat tube with all the required mounting points for bolts etc.
>
> JoeDe

JoeDe
I was just in the process of ordering a set along with a bunch of other
stuff.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FE409A01-Sks+P35+Fenders.aspx
Big picture
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/bigImage.aspx?img=/fe/FE409A01SIL__700C_35.jpg

You can get a really close look at 'em at
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list/fenders_and_flaps#product=none
Click on the picture. Same price as Jensons but Rivbikes shipping tends to
be a little more expensive though faster.

You can add them to Jenson shopping basket then select Australia and see a
shipping quote before you go any further. Add a few other little bits and
pieces you might want and shipping will probably stay the same. I can almost
guarantee that they'll still be cheaper than local price, (assuming you can
even find them locally) and they'll be here in a week.
The SKS fenders are good. They come in black or silver and 35 or 45mm wide
for 700c. Laminated aluminium and some sort of polycarbonate and the twin
stay design both front and back means that they do not flap, rattle or dive
into your wheel. They are exceptionally easy to fit and adjust as close to
or far from your tire as you like.
They are also undeniably handsome. They say "This is a serious all-weather
bike and I don't give a stuff what the Sunday morning warriors think."
Lots of other fenders on JensonUSA too but I like SKS the best.

Hyper

As others have mentioned, SKS aka ESGE. Fitting a decent mudflap on the
front guard also makes quite a difference to how much spray you get off the
front wheel. See http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2006/cc198-nickpayne1106.html
for a couple of photos of my touring/commuting bike with a mudflap cut from
a detergent bottle. That bike has Berthoud stainless steel mudguards, which
I think are the best available, but you can't get those in Australia.

Nick