Full list of dope suspects published

cyclingheroes said:
The Italian anti-doping authorities decided not to open a case against Ivan Basso due to a lack of evidence.

http://www.telesport.nl/wielersport/642736/Vrijspraak_Ivan_Basso.html

This and the other news suggesting that there may not be cases against cyclists implicated in OP is -- while good for certain cyclists -- very bad for the sport.

I recognize that no one should be charged, much less banned, on flimsy evidence. And I accept that an orderly process is the right of cyclists accused of cheating.

Nonetheless, the failure to produce the evidence necessary to secure the bans that needed to come from OP is very sad. While there may be insufficient evidence to prosecute individual cyclists, no one can doubt that Dr. Fuentes was engaged in a massive doping ring that supplied dozens and potenitally hundreds of professional athletes with illegal performance enhancing drugs. It is clear -- and I mean crystal clear -- to anyone who pays attention that the top ranks of the professional peloton are inveterate cheaters to the core. This is as true now as it was in 2002 and 1998 and throughout the 90s and, although perhaps owing to less potent dope less dramatically, as it was true since men first raced bikesover the alps.

We didn't need Frankie Andreau to admit what any sensible person already knew, but it certainly helped put the nail in the coffin. Cheating is not confined to individual riders with shady morals. It is often team policy. It is expected. It is normal.

If Basso and Ullrich -- and many of the others implicated in OP -- ride next year then as far as I am concerned the sport is over. There will be no point to watch and no reason to cheer the riders. They sold out there credibility and refused respect their fans and their sponsors.

Bradley Wiggins is probably one of the few I have any respect for anymore. He recently wrote the following for The Guardian.

What happened after the Tour was a huge disappointment to me. I was really angry with Floyd Landis when he tested positive for testosterone. I was pleased with my own Tour, but that was ruined by having him test positive when I was part of the race as well.

I don't know where it leaves the sport. There is talk he may get off on some technicality or other. It's also being said that the riders implicated in the Spanish doping inquiry before the Tour might end up being able to race because the evidence against them is circumstantial.

It sickens you, because you end up doubting the testing procedures, then you just wonder if these guys get off because they have good lawyers, then you wonder if the people who run the sport are frightened of sticking their necks out.

All I can do is carry on. I'm not going to sit on the fence and say I can't do anything on the road. David Millar has proved you can win races 'clean' since his comeback. The awful thing, however, is the prospect of having to race against these people again. There was talk of Tyler Hamilton [banned for two years for blood doping and implicated in the Spanish inquiry] trying to race in Austria this week. If he had that would have been a disgrace.

No one knows what is going on. At the Tour I thought the Spanish police inquiry was good. I started the Tour optimistic, even excited. I thought that by the end of the race a lot of people would be running scared and it would be good in the long term.

But it's now three months after the Tour started and no more has come out since Strasbourg at the end of June. We don't know the 52 names on the list. Nothing has happened since the Tour. Landis is positive and may or may not get off. It's a farce.

I still have a contract for the road next year, but when I go to Europe and race and see the winner on the podium with everyone wondering if he is positive or not, I don't feel proud to be a professional cyclist.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/cycling/story/0,,1879644,00.html

Well written and I read the article on Sunday from Wiggens.... I think he encapsulates the whole feeling over the situation... it must be just pure frustration for all those involved... I think you'll find that if Landis, Ullrich and Basso returned to the peleton next year a good majority of the clean cyclists will protest and refuse to ride against them..... again what team could hire them ?

Mancebo retired knowing he was going to be busted big time... now he could return to the peleton ! Funny how things have turned out since Saiz was arrested….

Is the UCI really doing enough ? They keep pushing documents between Spanish police and the federations without really taking a stance... they are making big statements but not really ruling on any of the athletes...

Where to now ? I predict the Grand Tours to set up there own break-away ProTour outside the UCI with there own set of rules on doping…..

tcklyde said:
This and the other news suggesting that there may not be cases against cyclists implicated in OP is -- while good for certain cyclists -- very bad for the sport.

I recognize that no one should be charged, much less banned, on flimsy evidence. And I accept that an orderly process is the right of cyclists accused of cheating.

Nonetheless, the failure to produce the evidence necessary to secure the bans that needed to come from OP is very sad. While there may be insufficient evidence to prosecute individual cyclists, no one can doubt that Dr. Fuentes was engaged in a massive doping ring that supplied dozens and potenitally hundreds of professional athletes with illegal performance enhancing drugs. It is clear -- and I mean crystal clear -- to anyone who pays attention that the top ranks of the professional peloton are inveterate cheaters to the core. This is as true now as it was in 2002 and 1998 and throughout the 90s and, although perhaps owing to less potent dope less dramatically, as it was true since men first raced bikesover the alps.

We didn't need Frankie Andreau to admit what any sensible person already knew, but it certainly helped put the nail in the coffin. Cheating is not confined to individual riders with shady morals. It is often team policy. It is expected. It is normal.

If Basso and Ullrich -- and many of the others implicated in OP -- ride next year then as far as I am concerned the sport is over. There will be no point to watch and no reason to cheer the riders. They sold out there credibility and refused respect their fans and their sponsors.

Bradley Wiggins is probably one of the few I have any respect for anymore. He recently wrote the following for The Guardian.

tcklyde said:

I hear what you're saying.

The outcome from OP looks to be the worst possible result for all concerned.

The riders that were suspended missed out on the second half of this season.
The UCI who, through the federations, imposed the respective bans look even more inept (if that can be possible) and the doping affair which gained coverage in the mainstream news, only makes this sport, it's governance, look ridiculous.

whiteboytrash said:
Is the UCI really doing enough ? They keep pushing documents between Spanish police and the federations without really taking a stance... they are making big statements but not really ruling on any of the athletes...

Where to now ? I predict the Grand Tours to set up there own break-away ProTour outside the UCI with there own set of rules on doping…..
[/font][/color]

The UCI aren't, and never, have done enough.

I think cycling needs a "Packer" affair.
The ruling body lost credibility and it cannot regulate what is a self regulating sport.

limerickman said:
I think cycling needs a "Packer" affair.
The ruling body lost credibility and it cannot regulate what is a self regulating sport.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Grand Tours were already negotiating TV rights as we speak to form the break-away group... they already have the top tours.. all they need is one or two top teams to join and then they will all follow... all of sudden... no UCI... they need to get Murdoch involved (paker's dead)

whiteboytrash said:
It wouldn't surprise me if the Grand Tours were already negotiating TV rights as we speak to form the break-away group... they already have the top tours.. all they need is one or two top teams to join and then they will all follow... all of sudden... no UCI... they need to get Murdoch involved (paker's dead)

Packer is dead.

Murdoch could be the man or Vince McMahon and the WWF perhaps!

limerickman said:
I hear what you're saying.

The outcome from OP looks to be the worst possible result for all concerned.

The riders that were suspended missed out on the second half of this season.
The UCI who, through the federations, imposed the respective bans look even more inept (if that can be possible) and the doping affair which gained coverage in the mainstream news, only makes this sport, it's governance, look ridiculous.
IMO, the worst possible outcome would be for all the cyclists named in OP to quietly return to the sport with no definitive actions taken to nail the cheaters ANDclear those that have been wrongfully implicated. It will reinforce the perception that wrongdoing has been “swept under the rug,” and this sport is nothing but a gang of dopers and officials looking the other way.

I had read recently that JU volunteered to submit a DNA sample to be compared against blood taken from Fuentes’ lab, and that a Spanish judge wanted to offer all cyclists named in the affair the chance to clear themselves by submitting voluntary DNA samples. If this offer is actually made good, and a number of high-profile cyclists submit samples and are cleared, the sport still has a chance to redeem itself in the public eye.

For those who understand German. Tomorrow there is a discussion on german parliament TV with the president of the German Bundestag Sports comission. Germany is thinking about an anti-doping law. You can watch the discussion with a live-stream at http://www.bundestag.de/aktuell/webTVLink.html

10.45 - 11.15 am (Berlin time, i believe in the UK it's one hour earlier)

cyclingheroes said:
For those who understand German. Tomorrow there is a discussion on german parliament TV with the president of the German Bundestag Sports comission. Germany is thinking about an anti-doping law. You can watch the discussion with a live-stream at http://www.bundestag.de/aktuell/webTVLink.html

10.45 - 11.15 am (Berlin time, i believe in the UK it's one hour earlier)
Anything interesting come from the debate?

So what will happen now to the riders on the list?

Mancebo, Basso, Ullrich, Jaksche, Beloki, Caruso, Allan Davis, Nozal are now, I think not implicated? What do the riders do now? What about the other riders on the list not mentioned in the press. Will the UCI now investigate the Puerto files themselves and / or pass to the CAS?

The UCI needs to give some direction here as the Puerto case and evidence will not hold up in a court as indicated by the Italian, Swiss and Austrian Federations. Do the UCI think if they just let this drift it will go away? They asked the national federations to bring cases against riders and it now appears there are no cases to bring, the UCI to bring some creditibility back to their organisation and the sport they need to draw a line under this. No case no suspension - riders can ride. The UCI cannot allow the Pro Tour Teams under the so called 'Ethics Code' stop riders from racing. Who is in charge of pro cycling? The UCI, I thought.

foxvi said:
So what will happen now to the riders on the list?

Mancebo, Basso, Ullrich, Jaksche, Beloki, Caruso, Allan Davis, Nozal are now, I think not implicated? What do the riders do now? What about the other riders on the list not mentioned in the press. Will the UCI now investigate the Puerto files themselves and / or pass to the CAS?

The UCI needs to give some direction here as the Puerto case and evidence will not hold up in a court as indicated by the Italian, Swiss and Austrian Federations. Do the UCI think if they just let this drift it will go away? They asked the national federations to bring cases against riders and it now appears there are no cases to bring, the UCI to bring some creditibility back to their organisation and the sport they need to draw a line under this. No case no suspension - riders can ride. The UCI cannot allow the Pro Tour Teams under the so called 'Ethics Code' stop riders from racing. Who is in charge of pro cycling? The UCI, I thought.

First off,someone please correct me if I state this wrong. I understand that by signing the ethics contract that riders might be excluding from racing if they are implicated in doping.
I am not sure how much proof must be offer or how compelling it must be. I imagine as always the spirit of the contract must be evaluated to determine it's intent .

PS: I was told that the ethics issue would be Ullrichs biggest hurdle.I did not ask for a specific explaination of this statement, but I will.

my source tells me that so many of you people are such effing hypocrites. your guy COULDN'T have doped but "that guy was obviously a doper".

Nein11 said:
my source tells me that so many of you people are such effing hypocrites. your guy COULDN'T have doped but "that guy was obviously a doper".
my source tells me that your guy is **** Pound......

jhuskey said:
First off,someone please correct me if I state this wrong. I understand that by signing the ethics contract that riders might be excluding from racing if they are implicated in doping.
I am not sure how much proof must be offer or how compelling it must be. I imagine as always the spirit of the contract must be evaluated to determine it's intent .

PS: I was told that the ethics issue would be Ullrichs biggest hurdle.I did not ask for a specific explaination of this statement, but I will.
A civil Swiss court will probebly need about 3 minutes to end the code of conduct.

Now all those dopers will be back and will claim how clean they are, like Millar did this year. Every day next season they will tell how cruel UCI was. Too bad it is not enough with circumstantial evidence.

cyclingheroes said:
According to Ernesto Bronzetti Fuentes received death threads from the world of soccer. He says that former soccer players of Valencia like Gerard, Farinós, Mendieta, Kily González and others were also on the list:

http://www.26noticias.com.ar/index.php?p=notadetalle&pp=deportes&idNota=23611
Death treats from the players kicking him to death with a football .... the doctor must be wanting some more publicity? But if true players at Valencia implicated about the time Rafa Benitez was manager now at Liverpool. But also interesting other sports being implicated.