Full Rasmussen interview Sunday (In English)

Solidsteel said:
Thanks for all the posts on this thread. I posted it as I got tired of reading all danish forums/newspaper sites. Its nice with "international" views. You really have some interesting and well argumented views on this case. I hope the debate continues.

My view is:

I am very convinced the process is gonna take much longer than Rasmussen expects.

Rabobank said that Rasmussen had confirmed that he had lied to them about his whereabouts. This matter will be hard to settle, as it seems Rasmussen will never admit having saying so (if he have ever said it). Rabobank on the other hand will stick to their version. So I think we can forget all about that part of the story. Its a dead end.

It is clear that Rasmussen was not thrown out directly because of his warnings. Of course they did their part, clearly encouraging the tour directors, but it was the violation of internal team rules that got him kicked out.

So actually it is quite simple. The whole case will be build on Rasmussens ability to prove that he has not lied, hence showing court some kind of hard evidence that confirm that his whereabouts at the time equals his statements.

On the other hand, Rabobank might have to come forward with more evidence than the public already knows of. A statement by Cassani will not rock the courtroom. By the way, it could be interesting to see if Cassani, at court under oath, would confirm 100% that it was Rasmussen he saw that day.

The case will not concern doping directly, just administrative issues. But Rasmussens negative doping tests might influence a jury. On the other hand the jury might feel that it is hard to believe he is "clean" when looking at the warnings and missed availability for doping tests.

It is almost impossible to guess the outcome of this case, but I think that Rasmussens unwilingsness to say anything about the evidence is under strict control from his advisers. My guess is that they are working very hard to find any papers in Mexico and Italy that can strengthen his case. No matter if he was in Italy or not. Rabobank will surely try to find papers showing his entry/exit from Italy at that time. Also they will try to find more witnesses who saw Rasmussen i Italy.

Unless Rabobank directly with hard evidence can prove he has been in Italy at that time, I think Rasmussen will come out strongest. A statement from Cassani will not be enough to win the case.
additionally, proving where he was at the time could be as easy as looking at phone records, credit card records, bank records, etc.
unless he was savvy enough to have tons of cash lying around, in advance, and never used his phone

and also....that no one saw him and recognized him down at the local bakery or local pasta maker ;)

this is all BS - i'm really sorry but if you are an elite cyclist who is training at 40km/h all dressed in black to avoid being recognised in a country you are not supposed to be in, possibly due to doping, YOU DO NOT STOP AND HAVE A FU*KING CHAT WITH A TELEVISION PRESENTER. You cycle off or not stop cycling in the first place.

What is the worst that is going to happen to Cassani, ooops sorry I must have been mistaken it wasn't Rasmussen.

plectrum said:
this is all BS - i'm really sorry but if you are an elite cyclist who is training at 40km/h all dressed in black to avoid being recognised in a country you are not supposed to be in, possibly due to doping, YOU DO NOT STOP AND HAVE A FU*KING CHAT WITH A TELEVISION PRESENTER. You cycle off or not stop cycling in the first place.
I think that 'men in back" is just the term they chose for the riders who train in isolation and without team colours. I dont think they would actually be dressed up in all black since that would make you stand out like hell :p

plectrum said:
By the way, he might have stopped. He didnt think Cassani would rat him out, and in fact Cassani didnt want to rat him out. He just made a remark about seeing Ras in the Dolomites and he made that remark before the **** hit the fan for Rasmussen. It was a Danish reporter who rememberred Cassanis remark oncer the **** had hit the fan and that reporter put 2 and 2 together. Cassani himself would have never stepped forward with it, Rasmussen knew this he considers Cassani a friend.

plectrum said:
This is actually a good point. If you're trying to avoid detection, what are the chances you stop to talk with a known cycling reporter being videotaped? I never thought of this but you make a VERY good point. Hmmmm....

IMO, he would never have expected that the DCF warnings were going to become public anyway, and that he was going to have to answer to the world regarding his whereabouts before the race.

Trajectum said:
I think that 'men in back" is just the term they chose for the riders who train in isolation and without team colours. I dont think they would actually be dressed up in all black since that would make you stand out like hell :p
Leipheimer:

76813984.JqYaNLgh.jpg

Question : Christophe Rinero who finished 77th in 2007 TDF.
is this the same CR who finished 4th in the 1998 TDF, does anyone know??

limerickman said:
Question : Christophe Rinero who finished 77th in 2007 TDF.
is this the same CR who finished 4th in the 1998 TDF, does anyone know??
According to letour.fr: 1997 115th, 1998 4th KOM, 1999 79th, 2001 nc, 2004 92nd, 2006 41st, 2007 77th.

For the record:

Michael Rasmussen defeated Alberto Contador in the 2007 Tour de France.

However, the eventual event outcome was fixed by a ASO/UCI/Robobank agreement.

We still have no clue who actually won the 1996 TDF, 1997, 1998 TDF, 1999-2005, nor 2006. Not really sure about any of them.

Nobody actually wins a Tour de France---rather, it is bestowed by the ASO.

Just like in the WWE.