full sus. bike - IH, GT, suggestions?

daddy

Guest
Looking at purchasing my second bike. Would like
a full sus. XC. No issue with waiting until the 2007's come
out too. I've budgeted up to $2K for the purchase.

I really like the Iron Horse MKIII Expert. And just
recently came across a GT i-Drive 5 2.0. Haven't heard
much about the GT. Anyone own either? and care to
share your experiences with these bikes?

Recommend a good LBS here in Phx, AZ?

regards,

-Grig (in Phx).

"daddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Looking at purchasing my second bike. Would like
> a full sus. XC. No issue with waiting until the 2007's come
> out too. I've budgeted up to $2K for the purchase.
>
> I really like the Iron Horse MKIII Expert. And just
> recently came across a GT i-Drive 5 2.0. Haven't heard
> much about the GT. Anyone own either? and care to
> share your experiences with these bikes?
>
> Recommend a good LBS here in Phx, AZ?
>
> regards,
>
> -Grig (in Phx).

The Commencal Meta 5.2 should definatley be on your short list if there's a
dealer in the area.

Andy H

<snip>
> The Commencal Meta 5.2 should definatley be on your short list if there's a
> dealer in the area.
>
> Andy H

Never heard of the Meta 5.2. Just checked the Commencal web site,
Nice!!! Looks like I'd have to mail order, not much of a distribution
channel reaching here in Arizona. Would definitely like to give it
a test ride. thanks for the suggestion.

"daddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> <snip>
>> The Commencal Meta 5.2 should definatley be on your short list if there's
>> dealer in the area.
>>
>> Andy H

> Never heard of the Meta 5.2. Just checked the Commencal web site,
> Nice!!! Looks like I'd have to mail order, not much of a distribution
> channel reaching here in Arizona. Would definitely like to give it
> a test ride. thanks for the suggestion.

It IS a bit good and I am a little biased :eek:)

daddy wrote:
> Looking at purchasing my second bike. Would like
> a full sus. XC. No issue with waiting until the 2007's come
> out too. I've budgeted up to $2K for the purchase.
>
> I really like the Iron Horse MKIII Expert. And just
> recently came across a GT i-Drive 5 2.0. Haven't heard
> much about the GT. Anyone own either? and care to
> share your experiences with these bikes?
>
> Recommend a good LBS here in Phx, AZ?
>
> regards,
>
> -Grig (in Phx).

$2000 for a FS in PHX? If you plan on riding the good trails there,
don't expect it to last very long.

JD

<snip>

> $2000 for a FS in PHX? If you plan on riding the good trails there,
> don't expect it to last very long.
>
> JD

My HT has been holding up just fine for the last
couple of years. (South Mountain, San Tan's, and the
McDowell's. I know what I'm getting into....).

suggestions for a bike????

daddy wrote:
> <snip>
> >

> > $2000 for a FS in PHX? If you plan on riding the good trails there,
> > don't expect it to last very long.
> >
> > JD

> My HT has been holding up just fine for the last
> couple of years. (South Mountain, San Tan's, and the
> McDowell's. I know what I'm getting into....).
>
> suggestions for a bike????

If you don't need new, a used Switchblade can be found in your price
range, and set up right, can nicely manage National, Mormon, etc...
They're going cheap as everybody's trading "up" to the motolite or the
new el guapo.

CDB

daddy wrote:
> <snip>
> >

> > $2000 for a FS in PHX? If you plan on riding the good trails there,
> > don't expect it to last very long.
> >
> > JD

> My HT has been holding up just fine for the last
> couple of years. (South Mountain, San Tan's, and the
> McDowell's. I know what I'm getting into....).
>
> suggestions for a bike????

If you expect your HT to last more, save your coin up and get a Titus
Motolite or a Ventana X5. Also, where one rides those places is also a
factor in this. If one rides every trail possible in those places, a
new $2000 FS isn't going to last very long at all compared to the bikes
I mentioned above.

JD

<snip>

> If you expect your HT to last more, save your coin up and get a Titus
> Motolite or a Ventana X5. Also, where one rides those places is also a
> factor in this. If one rides every trail possible in those places, a
> new $2000 FS isn't going to last very long at all compared to the bikes
> I mentioned above.
>
> JD

Pretty cool frames. Unfortunately, I've a limited budget. Got almost
$2K set aside. I'm not a freeride or DH freak, strictly XC. The Titus
or Ventana would certainly be bullet proof, to build an awesome XC unit.

Titus frame, Gruppo du jour, fork, wheel set, brakes, yadda, yadda...
Ok - I'm into $5K right? Would love to drop that amount of coin, Wifey
won't.... :)

appreciate the insight. Do I consider the Johnny Cash route? (One
piece at a time...). Buy a decent frame, and over the next year make
this into a project bike? hmmmm..... If I could only hit the lottery.

Any rate, I plan to hit South Mountain tomorrow. Think this through.
Usually solve most of life's issues while "in the saddle".

For grins, what's your current rig? (whole setup). you're in Colorado?
As a kid, I lived in Colorado Springs, up on the mesa, right next door
to the Garden of the Gods. Awesome place. Living at the base of Pike's
Peak.....

-Grig

daddy wrote:
> <snip>
>> If you expect your HT to last more, save your coin up and get a Titus
>> Motolite or a Ventana X5. Also, where one rides those places is also a
>> factor in this. If one rides every trail possible in those places, a
>> new $2000 FS isn't going to last very long at all compared to the bikes
>> I mentioned above.
>>
>> JD

> Pretty cool frames. Unfortunately, I've a limited budget. Got almost
> $2K set aside. I'm not a freeride or DH freak, strictly XC. The Titus
> or Ventana would certainly be bullet proof, to build an awesome XC unit.
>
> Titus frame, Gruppo du jour, fork, wheel set, brakes, yadda, yadda...
> Ok - I'm into $5K right? Would love to drop that amount of coin, Wifey
> won't.... :)
>
> appreciate the insight. Do I consider the Johnny Cash route? (One
> piece at a time...). Buy a decent frame, and over the next year make
> this into a project bike? hmmmm..... If I could only hit the lottery.
>
> Any rate, I plan to hit South Mountain tomorrow. Think this through.
> Usually solve most of life's issues while "in the saddle".
>
> For grins, what's your current rig? (whole setup). you're in Colorado?
> As a kid, I lived in Colorado Springs, up on the mesa, right next door
> to the Garden of the Gods. Awesome place. Living at the base of Pike's
> Peak.....
>
> -Grig

$5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.

Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> daddy wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> If you expect your HT to last more, save your coin up and get a Titus
>>> Motolite or a Ventana X5. Also, where one rides those places is also a
>>> factor in this. If one rides every trail possible in those places, a
>>> new $2000 FS isn't going to last very long at all compared to the bikes
>>> I mentioned above.
>>>
>>> JD

>> Pretty cool frames. Unfortunately, I've a limited budget. Got almost
>> $2K set aside. I'm not a freeride or DH freak, strictly XC. The Titus
>> or Ventana would certainly be bullet proof, to build an awesome XC unit.
>>
>> Titus frame, Gruppo du jour, fork, wheel set, brakes, yadda, yadda...
>> Ok - I'm into $5K right? Would love to drop that amount of coin, Wifey
>> won't.... :)
>> appreciate the insight. Do I consider the Johnny Cash route? (One
>> piece at a time...). Buy a decent frame, and over the next year make
>> this into a project bike? hmmmm..... If I could only hit the lottery.
>>
>> Any rate, I plan to hit South Mountain tomorrow. Think this through.
>> Usually solve most of life's issues while "in the saddle".
>>
>> For grins, what's your current rig? (whole setup). you're in Colorado?
>> As a kid, I lived in Colorado Springs, up on the mesa, right next door
>> to the Garden of the Gods. Awesome place. Living at the base of Pike's
>> Peak.....
>>
>> -Grig

> $5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
> great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
> a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
> the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
>
> Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5

Those are all great bikes, but I get a lot of good Miles out of
Specialized bikes without spending quite as much money.
For being the Microsoft of bikes, they do a good job at selling a good
solid (yet not too heavy) bike at the right price. If they fit you well
like they fit me well, it could make for a good match.

Try riding some FSRs or an Epic. I have an Epic and love it (although it
got less use this summer than it has in a while). If those are too
expensive, look your last year's models, demos, or possibly used once
you know which one(s) suit(s) you.

Matt

<snip>

> Those are all great bikes, but I get a lot of good Miles out of
> Specialized bikes without spending quite as much money.
> For being the Microsoft of bikes, they do a good job at selling a good
> solid (yet not too heavy) bike at the right price. If they fit you well
> like they fit me well, it could make for a good match.

<snip>

Based on the posters here, that would be Trek... (M$ of bikes)..
I've lurked for years...

thanks man, appreciate the input.

MattB wrote:

> Those are all great bikes, but I get a lot of good Miles out of
> Specialized bikes without spending quite as much money.
> For being the Microsoft of bikes, they do a good job at selling a good
> solid (yet not too heavy) bike at the right price. If they fit you well
> like they fit me well, it could make for a good match.
>
> Try riding some FSRs or an Epic. I have an Epic and love it (although it
> got less use this summer than it has in a while). If those are too
> expensive, look your last year's models, demos, or possibly used once
> you know which one(s) suit(s) you.
>
> Matt

Very true. I've seen Matt huck off **** on the Spec. He only breaks
seats ;).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

> $5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
> great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
> a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
> the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
>
> Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5

Thanks. I'm already looking into used hardware. Just like cars,
the resale on bikes has their @ss falling out too.....

I've done that in the past too. The old hand me down from one bike
to another. As I upgraded my HT (with XT & XTR), i've put the LX
& Deore onto Wifey's bike, Marzocchi Bomber vs. the POS OEM Manitou,
New BB7's, XT 8 spd shifter's, Avid brake levers, Thud Buster, B17,
XT crank over the old Bontranger, Panaracer's XC fire (127 TPI)...

I've toyed with getting a set of wheels from Dave's (Speed Dream),
he's over in Fountain Hills, the other side of the McDowell's.

life is good. thanks man.

"daddy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> > $5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
> > great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
> > a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
> > the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
> >
> > Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5

> Thanks. I'm already looking into used hardware. Just like cars,
> the resale on bikes has their @ss falling out too.....

Much worse than cars.

I've found that back when I bought bikes in this price range I soon changes
almost everything out. Yeah, I was able to get riding on a new bike quickly
but in a short amount of time I ended up spending more than a slightly used
higher end bike. Nowadays, I buy a mix of new and used parts, usually a new
frame and fork, and then find killer deals on the rest of the stuff.

Greg

MattB wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> > daddy wrote:
> >
> >> <snip>

> >> Pretty cool frames. Unfortunately, I've a limited budget. Got almost
> >> $2K set aside. I'm not a freeride or DH freak, strictly XC. The Titus
> >> or Ventana would certainly be bullet proof, to build an awesome XC unit.
> >>
> >> Titus frame, Gruppo du jour, fork, wheel set, brakes, yadda, yadda...
> >> Ok - I'm into $5K right? Would love to drop that amount of coin, Wifey
> >> won't.... :)
> >> appreciate the insight. Do I consider the Johnny Cash route? (One
> >> piece at a time...). Buy a decent frame, and over the next year make
> >> this into a project bike? hmmmm..... If I could only hit the lottery.
> >>
> >> Any rate, I plan to hit South Mountain tomorrow. Think this through.
> >> Usually solve most of life's issues while "in the saddle".
> >>
> >> For grins, what's your current rig? (whole setup). you're in Colorado?
> >> As a kid, I lived in Colorado Springs, up on the mesa, right next door
> >> to the Garden of the Gods. Awesome place. Living at the base of Pike's
> >> Peak.....
> >>
> >> -Grig

> > $5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
> > great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
> > a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
> > the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
> >
> > Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5
> >

> Those are all great bikes, but I get a lot of good Miles out of
> Specialized bikes without spending quite as much money.
> For being the Microsoft of bikes, they do a good job at selling a good
> solid (yet not too heavy) bike at the right price. If they fit you well
> like they fit me well, it could make for a good match.
>
> Try riding some FSRs or an Epic. I have an Epic and love it (although it
> got less use this summer than it has in a while). If those are too
> expensive, look your last year's models, demos, or possibly used once
> you know which one(s) suit(s) you.
>
> Matt

The Epic is not enough bike for what PHX has to offer. Getting a bike
that can do it all is the way to go.

JD

JD wrote:
> MattB wrote:
>
>>Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>>$5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
>>>great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
>>>a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
>>>the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
>>>
>>>Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5
>>>

>>Those are all great bikes, but I get a lot of good Miles out of
>>Specialized bikes without spending quite as much money.
>>For being the Microsoft of bikes, they do a good job at selling a good
>>solid (yet not too heavy) bike at the right price. If they fit you well
>>like they fit me well, it could make for a good match.
>>
>>Try riding some FSRs or an Epic. I have an Epic and love it (although it
>>got less use this summer than it has in a while). If those are too
>>expensive, look your last year's models, demos, or possibly used once
>>you know which one(s) suit(s) you.
>>
>>Matt

> The Epic is not enough bike for what PHX has to offer. Getting a bike
> that can do it all is the way to go.
>
> JD

Well I've never ridden there, but I suspect it could be with the right
rider (that being a not-so-big person with some finesse).

But maybe the FSR or Enduro might be better models for that area. Either
way I think they are generally quality bikes and a fair price.

Matt (skied up Old Monarch pass on Saturday :))

>> The Epic is not enough bike for what PHX has to offer. Getting a bike
>> that can do it all is the way to go.
>>
>> JD
>>

> Well I've never ridden there, but I suspect it could be with the right
> rider (that being a not-so-big person with some finesse).
>
> But maybe the FSR or Enduro might be better models for that area. Either
> way I think they are generally quality bikes and a fair price.
>
> Matt (skied up Old Monarch pass on Saturday :))

I round in at 180lbs.... After weekend beer parties, that may vary. :)
Thanks for the pointers. Like I said, a ride through South
Mountain tomorrow will clear the head. Appreciate the frame
recommendations.

daddy wrote:
>> $5000 if you go all new. As Paladin said, you can get a used Titus in
>> great condition complete for around $2500. Additionally, you could get
>> a new frame and take all the parts off of your hardtail and move them to
>> the FS. I have done that with a few of my bikes.
>>
>> Check out used Yeti 575 and Intense 5.5

> Thanks. I'm already looking into used hardware. Just like cars,
> the resale on bikes has their @ss falling out too.....
>
> I've done that in the past too. The old hand me down from one bike
> to another. As I upgraded my HT (with XT & XTR), i've put the LX
> & Deore onto Wifey's bike, Marzocchi Bomber vs. the POS OEM Manitou,
> New BB7's, XT 8 spd shifter's, Avid brake levers, Thud Buster, B17,
> XT crank over the old Bontranger, Panaracer's XC fire (127 TPI)...
>
> I've toyed with getting a set of wheels from Dave's (Speed Dream),
> he's over in Fountain Hills, the other side of the McDowell's.
>
> life is good. thanks man.

Take a look at the Stumpjumper ride one for North Shore X-country and
love it PS I weigh in at 225 and it takes it.

wizardB wrote:
> Take a look at the Stumpjumper ride one for North Shore X-country and
> love it PS I weigh in at 225 and it takes it.

For now.

JD