Full-sus mountain trike

Andy Dingley

Guest
Spotted in Bath on Friday - a home-brew suspended trike !

It was a full-sus MTB frame, butchered at the end of the
swing arm and with what looked like bits of original trike
added. Drive seemed to just be to one wheel though - shades
of the Sinclair C5 !

A bit of a lash-up it had to be said - they'd even left the
brake calipers on the old swing arm. The diagonal bracing
out to the rear wheel stub axles was done with galv'ed
gaspipe and bolted clamps, nut brazing.

Still, a brave and mad vehicle - Congratulations ! (and if
the owner is reading this, get in touch - the MBUK people
might be interested).

--
Smert' spamionam

Andy Dingley wrote:

> Spotted in Bath on Friday - a home-brew suspended trike !
>
> It was a full-sus MTB frame, butchered at the end of the
> swing arm and with what looked like bits of original trike
> added. Drive seemed to just be to one wheel though -
> shades of the Sinclair C5 !

Trikes often have single wheel drive due to the weight and
complexity of adding a differential (Longstaffs can do with
or without, IIRC). In the UK it's normally the LH wheel as
this helps combat the camber of the road. Apparently, if you
go to the Continent, the trike constantly wants to end up in
the ditch.

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> Trikes often have single wheel drive due to the weight and
> complexity of adding a differential (Longstaffs can do
> with or without, IIRC). In the UK it's normally the LH
> wheel as this helps combat the camber of the road.
> Apparently, if you go to the Continent, the trike
> constantly wants to end up in the ditch.

They seem to like the ditch just as much here too :-( My
tandem trike took great delight in finding one near
Brockenhurst a few years ago.

Main problem on the Continent is not so much turning down
the camber but that the weight is not on the drive wheel,
which leads to much wheel spinning and lack of traction.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> They seem to like the ditch just as much here too :-( My
> tandem trike took great delight in finding one near
> Brockenhurst a few years ago.
>
> Main problem on the Continent is not so much turning down
> the camber but that the weight is not on the drive wheel,
> which leads to much wheel spinning and lack of traction.

A real trikie in the NG? On a loosely-related note, I've
just discovered, via the wonders of Google, that both trikie
extraordinaire David Duffield and I had Beacon RCC
(Birmingham) as our first cycling club!

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>
> > They seem to like the ditch just as much here too :-( My
> > tandem trike took great delight in finding one near
> > Brockenhurst a few years ago.
> >
> > Main problem on the Continent is not so much turning
> > down the camber but that the weight is not on the drive
> > wheel, which leads to much wheel spinning and lack of
> > traction.
>
> A real trikie in the NG?

Sorry, I haven't got a beard, but have raced at all
distances to 24 hours on the barrow and taken the long-
barrow over much of Euraope camping with the family.

An ancient pic at: http://www.vcventa.org.uk/dontclick.html

Now my fave three wheels are the trice.

John B