full-sus ss

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Matthew Paterso, Feb 7, 2004.

  1. Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!

    And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?

    Madness

    --
    Matt

    Fear of a flat planet

    Tags:

  2. Gman

    Gman Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:42:11 +0000, Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!
    >
    > And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?
    >
    > Madness

    What bikes FS SS bikes have you seen? The only one I know of is the Kona A:
    http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_a.cfm and it looks like they don't offer it anymore (can't find it
    in 2004 bikes)

    I ride rigid, but I wouldn't mind givin' the A a try.

  3. Mtbscottie

    Mtbscottie Guest

    >Subject: Re: full-sus ss
    >From: Gman [email protected]
    >Date: 2/7/2004 2:55 PM Eastern Standard Time
    >
    >On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:42:11 +0000, Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!
    >>
    >> And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?
    >>
    >> Madness
    >>

    >What bikes FS SS bikes have you seen? The only one I know of is the Kona A:
    >http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_a.cfm and it looks like they don't offer it anymore (can't find it
    >in 2004 bikes)
    >
    >I ride rigid, but I wouldn't mind givin' the A a try.

    The "A" is available frame only for 2004

  4. Dave W

    Dave W Guest

  5. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >None from manufacturers like the Kona, just custom. Like this d00d off pinkbike :
    >
    >http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=153143

    Can somebody explain what it is with "I-Drive"?

    The guys at the local LBS have a few in stock - but even they couldn't come up with a plausible-
    sounding explainatin for what's going on down there...
    --
    PeteCresswell

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    Matthew Paterson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!

    A cruel joke.

    > And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?

    Not on a URT.

    > Madness

    No, sadness.

    JD

  8. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    > RE/
    >
    >>None from manufacturers like the Kona, just custom. Like this d00d off pinkbike :
    >>
    >>http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=153143
    >

    > Can somebody explain what it is with "I-Drive"?
    >
    > The guys at the local LBS have a few in stock - but even they couldn't come up with a plausible-
    > sounding explainatin for what's going on down there...

    It is a unified-rear-triangle design with a bizarre floating bottom-bracket mechanism to make it
    seem less like a URT. A lot of work for little gain, if you ask me.

    Miles

  9. Zeeexsixare

    Zeeexsixare Guest

  10. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:55:28 +0000, Gman wrote:
    > >
    > > > What bikes FS SS bikes have you seen?
    > >
    > > None from manufacturers like the Kona, just custom. Like this d00d off pinkbike :
    > >
    > > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=153143

    Speaking of manufacturer's FS SS bikes, Norco has added a bizarre but wonderful new machine to their
    already fairly bizarre "Supercross" lineup. I give you the Norco Four20:

    http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/four20.htm

    Looks like a URT design, but it has a heavy urban/dirt jump orientation. Not many singlespeed fans
    are likely to desire the axle pegs or Gyro cable rotor.

    No, I'm not sure why Kona and Norco, located about 40 km from each other and within driving distance
    of the Shore, both have FS SSes. I suppose if you're not climbing the trails under your own power,
    you only really need one gear.

    But hey, it's steel,

  12. Carla A-G <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 19:55:28 +0000, Gman wrote:
    > >
    > > > What bikes FS SS bikes have you seen?
    > >
    > > None from manufacturers like the Kona, just custom. Like this d00d off pinkbike :
    > >
    > > http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=153143

    > What a POS.

    Look at the chain droop. That thing is a derailment waiting to happen. I don't care if people want
    to do this, but FFS do it right.

    And how come the crank isn't blue?

  13. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    "Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!
    >
    > And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?

    Not if the pivot point is the center of the bottom bracket! I've often wondered why FS mtn bikes
    weren't designed this way to begin with.

    > Madness
    >
    > --
    > Matt
    >
    > Fear of a flat planet

  14. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    onefred wrote:
    > "Matthew Paterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    >
    >>Whats the deal with Singlespeed full sus bikes? I mean, really!
    >>
    >>And surely wouldnt the chain tension decrease when the suspension is active?
    >

    > Not if the pivot point is the center of the bottom bracket! I've often wondered why FS mtn bikes
    > weren't designed this way to begin with.
    >

    >>Madness
    >>
    >>--
    >>Matt
    >>
    >>Fear of a flat planet

    Read this:

    > http://www.math.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/bbpivot.html

    miles

  15. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "onefred" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<402850ef$0$43853

    > Not if the pivot point is the center of the bottom bracket! I've often wondered why FS mtn bikes
    > weren't designed this way to begin with.

    Because it doesn't work as well as you might suppose?

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    > (Pete Cresswell) wrote:
    > > RE/
    > >> None from manufacturers like the Kona, just custom. Like this d00d off pinkbike :
    > >>
    > >> http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=153143
    > >
    > > Can somebody explain what it is with "I-Drive"?
    > >
    > > The guys at the local LBS have a few in stock - but even they couldn't come up with a plausible-
    > > sounding explainatin for what's going on down there...
    >

    > http://www.gtmountainbikes.com/mountain/tech/idrive.php

    Ach!!!!!!!!! What a fcuking gawd awful site! Never, EVER again!

    Shaun aRe utterly disgusted!

  17. > > > The guys at the local LBS have a few in stock - but even they couldn't come up with a plausible-
    > > > sounding explainatin for what's going on down there...
    > >

    > > http://www.gtmountainbikes.com/mountain/tech/idrive.php
    >
    > Ach!!!!!!!!! What a fcuking gawd awful site! Never, EVER again!
    >

    > Shaun aRe utterly disgusted!

    If Rube Goldberg designed a suspension system, what would it be....
    --
    _________________________

  18. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > > Not if the pivot point is the center of the bottom bracket! I've often wondered why FS mtn bikes
    > > weren't designed this way to begin with.
    >
    > Because it doesn't work as well as you might suppose?

    Do you mean the problem of designing it around the bottom bracket shell or that having it pivot
    where it won't alter the chainstay length is a bad idea?

    Dave

  19. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > Read this:
    >
    > > http://www.math.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/bbpivot.html

    Hey that's interesting. I didn't know that manufacturers were doing this. I don't know Rotec but
    I remember the Diablo. Can't recall it's design, tho. I couldn't find any info about it on the
    Jamis site.

    I still do not understand where the problem is (except that it is full suspension, lol). If you
    are concerned with pedaling efficiency then FS ain't your thang. FS is for DH and this seems
    like a superior design to me. Back to singlespeed, I think a design like this is the only
    practical solution.

    If you don't do DH and just need a full suspension bike to absorb the shock from the little pebbles
    on the course then I guess this is not a good design for you. The flaw then becomes your old
    dilapidated back and not the bike! (A little humor gents, don't flame me!)

    Of course what's most obvious is that only a few manufacturers adopted this system and now it
    appears to be abandoned. I can specualte that it must be a poor performer and/or be too expensive to
    manufacture and maintain.

    Dave "unsensitive is not a word, btw" T.