Full suspension mtb $1000-$1500 range?

mikefrommi

Jul 25, 2003
Starting some research early folks on a purchasing a new full suspension bike next spring (or over the winter if there are some good sales). Hoping to get some feedback from those of you who ride full susp. currently and what would be a good bike in the $1000 - $1500 range.

Haven't received any replies yet on my post - hope that doesn't mean a quality full susp. bike can't be had for $1000 - $1500 :)

I ride hard off-road on single tracks (and some two tracks) in Michigan. Mostly dirt trails some up and down hills but nothing too radical. Go up to Copper Harbor sometimes where rocks are frequently found on the trail. I currently have a Bridgestone MB-5 without any suspension and feel totally out of control on fast rough downhills. I'm about 5'10" and 205# (and losing :) ). Considered going with another hardtail and front suspension but felt it wise just to bite the bullet and go with full suspension and save myself about $700 in the long run.

Hope this added info. helps me get more feedback.

Originally posted by mikefrommi
Haven't received any replies yet on my post - hope that doesn't mean a quality full susp. bike can't be had for $1000 - $1500 :)

Giant NRS, Cannondale Jekyll

If you go with either one of those, you can't go wrong.

Any more to add? It just depends if you 're for freeride/downhill or XC/ all mountain riding.

Originally posted by jdc2000
You could also check out the Jamis line at http://www.jamisbikes.com There are some reviews there as well.

I have only just recently heard of the Jamis line of bikes at a LBS that my Bridgestone is currently getting tuned up at. I told the bike shop owner that I had never heard of that line of bikes, to which he replied that a lot of racers have won races with these bikes. News to me, I guess, but I am just getting back into this after 9 years or so.

So they're a decent bike, eh? Anyone else out there riding them or have heard good or bad about them?

I have not test ridden one of their mountain bikes yet, but I just bought one of their road bikes (Quest) and it rides like a dream. Next spring I am planning to purchase a Dakar Sport to use in races in place of my unsuspended Bridgestone MB-2. Their web site has reviews from various magazines (reprints) as well as a dealer locator if you want to test ride one.

Originally posted by jdc2000
I have not test ridden one of their mountain bikes yet, but I just bought one of their road bikes (Quest) and it rides like a dream. Next spring I am planning to purchase a Dakar Sport to use in races in place of my unsuspended Bridgestone MB-2. Their web site has reviews from various magazines (reprints) as well as a dealer locator if you want to test ride one.

In any case, the best reccomendation for anyne is to go to a few LBSes and test ride bikes for a few hours until they get one they want. The one they want should be the one they test ride until death. That bike should be the one they feel comfortable with.

Components shouldn't be as much of a consideration as how you fit a bike.