full-suspension single-speed

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul Southworth, Mar 14, 2003.

  1. Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    Tags:

  2. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    Paul Southworth wrote:

    > Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    > bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    > something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    > KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    You might try one of those old unified rear triangle bikes, like the Trek Y. They were all the rage
    a few years ago. Almost every big bike company had their own version.

    Matt O.

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    >bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    >something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving.

    Yes, but I can't remember the maker's name.

    It was a widly-known name and the bike was designed specifically as a single-speed FS; pivoting at
    the BB shell.

    Somebody else will probably have a URL for it...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:46:51 +0000, Paul Southworth did issue forth:

    > Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    > bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    > something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    > KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    Yes, Kona have launched a susser specifically designed for singlespeed. Can't remember the name
    though. It'll probably be something like the "Kona Pingpingping f'tang moo" or whatever the Kona
    random-sound generator came out with that week.

  5. Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    > bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    > something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    > KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    Here's Rick Hunter's original take on the problem:

    http://www.huntercycles.com/couch.html

  6. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

    > Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    > bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    > something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    > KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_a.cfm

  7. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:46:51 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

    >Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    >bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    >something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    >KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    Any URT or any single pivot with the swingarm pivoting around the BB axis will do it. Somebody over
    here (UK) has a BSX/4X frame with about 4" travel, a concentric swingarm pivot and horizontal
    dropouts, but I can't remember who! However, if BSX gets popular, expect other manufacturers to
    follow suit. A quick google revealed http://www.mojowheels.com/lenz.html with concentric frames for
    all disciplines but vertical dropouts make singlespeed chain tension a bit hit and miss; you'd need
    a fixed tensioner jockey wheel or one of those eccentric rear hub axles.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  8. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Yes, Kona have launched a susser specifically designed for singlespeed. Can't remember the
    >name though.

    http://www.konaworld.com/kw_index.cfm

    Click on "Two single speed rigs!"
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  9. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Have a look in a museum. Full-suspension was very popular before the invention of pneumatic (ie
    air-filled) tires.

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Lkqca.33494$A%[email protected]...
    > Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
    > bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
    > something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
    > KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

    There was a Merlin which used the flex of the chainstays as the shock absorber. It was welded all
    together except for a shock unit between the seatstay bridge and the seat cluster. That would be
    doable as a single speed bike if you can find one. Pretty neat design as it was very light and
    avoided the sloppy sleeves of other designs. (But I am no MTB expert.)

  11. Russell

    Russell Guest

    Doesn't anyone find a full-suspension single speed bike to be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought the
    whole point of a single speed mountain bike was simplicity.

    Russell

  12. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On 14 Mar 2003 22:31:01 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

    >Doesn't anyone find a full-suspension single speed bike to be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought the
    >whole point of a single speed mountain bike was simplicity.
    >
    >Russell

    Not necessarily; some people like singlespeed because the derailleur system is prone to mud clogging
    or crash damage; neither problem need affect your suspension. I don't need rear suspension on my
    singlespeed, but I do need it to be mudproof so it has disc brakes, another thing the luddite
    tendency frowns upon.