full-suspension single-speed

Paul Southworth

Guest
Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

Paul Southworth wrote:

> Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
> bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
> something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
> KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

You might try one of those old unified rear triangle bikes, like the Trek Y. They were all the rage
a few years ago. Almost every big bike company had their own version.

Matt O.

RE/
>Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
>bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
>something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving.

Yes, but I can't remember the maker's name.

It was a widly-known name and the bike was designed specifically as a single-speed FS; pivoting at
the BB shell.

Somebody else will probably have a URL for it...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:46:51 +0000, Paul Southworth did issue forth:

> Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
> bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
> something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
> KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

Yes, Kona have launched a susser specifically designed for singlespeed. Can't remember the name
though. It'll probably be something like the "Kona Pingpingping f'tang moo" or whatever the Kona
random-sound generator came out with that week.

Paul Southworth <[email protected]> wrote:
> Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
> bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
> something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
> KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

Here's Rick Hunter's original take on the problem:

http://www.huntercycles.com/couch.html

http://www.konaworld.com/2k3/2k3_a.cfm

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 19:46:51 GMT, [email protected] (Paul Southworth) wrote:

>Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
>bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
>something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
>KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

Any URT or any single pivot with the swingarm pivoting around the BB axis will do it. Somebody over
here (UK) has a BSX/4X frame with about 4" travel, a concentric swingarm pivot and horizontal
dropouts, but I can't remember who! However, if BSX gets popular, expect other manufacturers to
follow suit. A quick google revealed http://www.mojowheels.com/lenz.html with concentric frames for
all disciplines but vertical dropouts make singlespeed chain tension a bit hit and miss; you'd need
a fixed tensioner jockey wheel or one of those eccentric rear hub axles.

Kinky Cowboy

*Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

Have a look in a museum. Full-suspension was very popular before the invention of pneumatic (ie
air-filled) tires.

"Paul Southworth" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:Lkqca.33494$A%[email protected]...
> Are there any full-suspension frames that do not hinge between the chain stays and the bottom
> bracket? I'm wondering if there are FS frames out there that can be used as single speeds without
> something to take up chain slack when the suspension is moving. I am not talking about a Moots or
> KHS style pivotless elastomer suspension system - it needs to be more travel than that.

There was a Merlin which used the flex of the chainstays as the shock absorber. It was welded all
together except for a shock unit between the seatstay bridge and the seat cluster. That would be
doable as a single speed bike if you can find one. Pretty neat design as it was very light and
avoided the sloppy sleeves of other designs. (But I am no MTB expert.)

Doesn't anyone find a full-suspension single speed bike to be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought the
whole point of a single speed mountain bike was simplicity.

Russell

On 14 Mar 2003 22:31:01 -0800, [email protected] (Russell) wrote:

>Doesn't anyone find a full-suspension single speed bike to be a bit of an oxymoron? I thought the
>whole point of a single speed mountain bike was simplicity.
>
>Russell

Not necessarily; some people like singlespeed because the derailleur system is prone to mud clogging
or crash damage; neither problem need affect your suspension. I don't need rear suspension on my
singlespeed, but I do need it to be mudproof so it has disc brakes, another thing the luddite
tendency frowns upon.