Full Wetsuit brands?

Carlton Whitmor

Guest
There seems to be a big price range for full wetsuits. ($150-$500) Is it the thickness, material
that makes the difference? I'm doing my first Tri this summer so I don't want to invest a huge
amount in a wetsuits. Any suggestions? Carlton.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Carlton Whitmore" <[email protected]> wrote:

> There seems to be a big price range for full wetsuits. ($150-$500) Is it the thickness, material
> that makes the difference? I'm doing my first Tri this summer so I don't want to invest a huge
> amount in a wetsuits. Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't buy one. You don't need one unless you think you're going to be contending for awards,
you're concerned about cold water, or you're nervous about the swim and want a little extra help.

This is not to say wetsuits aren't worth the money, just that you don't need to spend a bunch on one
to get started. You might want to do a few races and see what you think.

I ended up borrowing one to do my first Ironman (and a training half-IM race), and I think I'm going
to buy one this year, which is my fifth season. I'm going to look for one in the $200-$250 range.

--Harold Buck

P.S. You also don't need a $2000 bike :)

Below is a post I made earlier. sometimes technology might not be the quickest. For an inexpensive
wetsuit look at the Camero. It cost $99 and was fastest in my test on my body. For sleek style and
great service check the T1

Ken

++++++++++++Well, there has been much discussion on this subject.

I decided to do a little testing. What I found of course only applies to me and the suits I tried. I
recently purchased three different wet suits. I have various needs for these so the expense was not
really an issue.

I have a DeSoto Two piece full suit made specifically for triathlons. It is a T1 top mated to a
Desoto Bib John. Second suit is a Quantum Deep See Full one piece suit designed for diving. It is 4
MM thick all over and a little big for me so that it is loose. This suit has a semi smooth surface,
back zipper, knee pads and nylon inside. Third suit is a Camero 4MM one piece suit designed for
windsurfing/watersports with back zipper. It has a sort of textured outside surface and has knee
pads for durability It also is a loose fit and slightly on the large size. It is quite large in the
upper body area allowing very free movement. I use it for diving and working in the surf.

OK, the real truth. The deSoto is a near perfect fit, looks really cool with nice graphics. Has
very little leakage of water so is warm in cool water and a bit hot on long swims if the water is
over 71 degrees.

Both general purpose full suits made for light diving or surfing/ wind surfing are colder than the
DeSoto, both are on the large size and leak quite a lot of water with movement.

Swim time over a two mile measured course on at least 5 trips in each suit have clearly proved to me
that there is only slight difference in speed.

The Camero suit is fastest of the three being consistently about 1 minute faster over the distance
of two miles. The DeSoto is second quickest lagging consistently one minute behind. The Quantum is a
close second only about 30 seconds slower than my DeSoto.

The Quantum is easiest to remove, the Camero just slightly slower and the DeSoto looses here as it
is difficult to get out of unless able to do it in the water. In the water the Desoto is easy to get
out of but still slower as there are two parts to remove.

The Camero and Quantum take a great deal of abuse. I use then for diving and underwater recovery
of lost items, ( my business) I use them for swim practice/workouts. The DeSoto is somewhat
fragile with its stretchy, soft and smooth outer skin so I only intend to use it for racing in
cold water Tri's.

The DeSoto is by far the most comfortable, the coolest looking and warmest. It does cost me a little
time over the two mile distance. I have no idea why as it is the near perfect fit, most flexible,
sleekest of the suits. It looks fast and feels the same but my watch keeps telling me otherwise.
Perhaps I work harder in the others but do try to maintain the same effort level in all. The two one
piece full suits have a little more over all thickness so some added buoyancy.

DeSoto's people are great folks to do business with. Lots of help and certainly take the extra step
in customer service.

Ken

"Carlton Whitmore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There seems to be a big price range for full wetsuits. ($150-$500) Is it the thickness, material
> that makes the difference? I'm doing my first Tri this summer so I don't want to invest a huge
> amount in a wetsuits. Any suggestions? Carlton.

Borrowing one is good. There are some tri's that wetsuits are mandatory up north.

Curt

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:no_one_knows-
[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Carlton Whitmore"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > There seems to be a big price range for full wetsuits. ($150-$500) Is it the thickness, material
> > that makes the difference? I'm doing my first Tri this summer so I don't want to invest a huge
amount
> > in a wetsuits. Any suggestions?
>

> Yeah, don't buy one. You don't need one unless you think you're going to be contending for awards,
> you're concerned about cold water, or you're nervous about the swim and want a little extra help.
>
> This is not to say wetsuits aren't worth the money, just that you don't need to spend a bunch on
> one to get started. You might want to do a few races and see what you think.
>
> I ended up borrowing one to do my first Ironman (and a training half-IM race), and I think I'm
> going to buy one this year, which is my fifth season. I'm going to look for one in the $200-
> $250 range.
>
> --Harold Buck
>
> P.S. You also don't need a $2000 bike :)

I have a XTerra suit which I'm happy with. I have a day job and a budget ... so it fit my needs.

BBB

"Carlton Whitmore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> There seems to be a big price range for full wetsuits. ($150-$500) Is it the thickness, material
> that makes the difference? I'm doing my first Tri this summer so I don't want to invest a huge
> amount in a wetsuits. Any suggestions? Carlton.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks first to all the
kind words on the T1.

I welcome you to give me a call or email me if you have any
questions or concerns about the T1 Wetsuit.

As far as being sure you are getting the right wetsuit, why
not form your own opinion?

We offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You buy the suit,
you test it out for 14 days from the day you receive it, and
if you are not happy with it, we will exchange it for a size
that fits better, or we will give you complete refund...your
choice...no questions asked. So you risk nothing but the
time to test it.

If I can answer any other questions for you, please call me
at the number below my name.

Kind regards,

Emilio

Emilio De Soto II Founder/President/Triathlete De Soto
Sport Triathlon Company 5260 Eastgate Mall San Diego, CA
92121 Tel: 858 453 6672 Fax: 858 453 6783 Email:
[email protected] www.desotosport.com Quality Triathlon
Gear Since 1990 www.t1wetsuits.com The world's most
innovative Triathlon Wetsuit

Emilio De Soto II 858 453 6672 www.desotosport.com "Quality
Triathlon Gear Since 1990" www.t1wetsuits.com "Triathlon's
most innovative wetsuit" Email me for a free catalog