Full year with no punctures.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:03:58 +0000, Alan Braggins wrote in
[email protected]:
> In article <[email protected]>, Alex
> Potter wrote:
>
>>Why?

> Because ...

See my comments elsewhere in this thread.

--
Regards
Alex

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
>Alex Potter wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:06:52 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote in
>> [email protected]:
>>
>>> While it still has some rubber left, a worn tyre isn't more likely to
>>> side than a new one on road.

> [slide]
>
>> True, but, IMHO, more likely to puncture.

>I can't argue with that very much so I won't :)

In the specific case of a Marathon Plus with the thick SmartGuard
layer, it's going to make less difference than on a standard tyre.

And with back tyres being generally more prone to puncturing (greater
weight on them, chance of the front flicking up something to be point
upwards), it's not a strong argument for keeping the less worn tyre on
the front.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:04:45 +0000, Alan Braggins wrote in
[email protected]:

> And with back tyres being generally more prone to puncturing (greater
> weight on them, chance of the front flicking up something to be point
> upwards), it's not a strong argument for keeping the less worn tyre on
> the front.

What I should have said was that the consequences of a flat front tyre
were potentially more serious than those resulting from a flat rear, and
that a new tyre would be more puncture resistant than a worn one. That's
my risk assessment, anyway.

Don't mind me, I'm a nitpicker.

--

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs wrote:
> >Alex Potter wrote:
> >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 13:06:52 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote in
> >> [email protected]:

> > [slide]
> >
> >> True, but, IMHO, more likely to puncture.

> >I can't argue with that very much so I won't :)

> In the specific case of a Marathon Plus with the thick SmartGuard
> layer, it's going to make less difference than on a standard tyre.

yes quite a noticeable lump under the tread when you swap the tires
around.

> And with back tyres being generally more prone to puncturing (greater
> weight on them, chance of the front flicking up something to be point
> upwards), it's not a strong argument for keeping the less worn tyre on
> the front.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1i87aj4.1d40ihv1qgy0hqN%[email protected]>, Roger
>Merriman wrote:
> >Trevor A Panther <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The trouble is, with riding on Marathon Plus, that I haven't had a
> >> puncture on my bike for 2 years -- and you lose the expertise of
> >> dealing with it easily! Really!

> >the other problems with the marathon familly is they are sods to get on
> >and off the rim's

> I don't remember getting them on being a particular problem. Not having
> had a puncture since, I can't comment on getting them off. Having said
> that, no doubt I'll now have one soon.
> Actually I might have taken one off when I bought a hub dynamo built
> into a wheel, but I did buy a third tyre so the now spare wheel could be
> swapped in instantly, and can't remember now whether I just put the new
> tyre on the new front wheel, or swapped it for the more worn rear tyre.
> Which says something about how memorable the process was. Of course that
> was in a dry shed with lights, not by the roadside in rain and dark, like
> a typical puncture.

could well be the rim tire combo, though they are stiffer tires than
your normal road tires, i put some land cruisers on my potter about town
bike, and they are noticablly easyer to get on and off, and more
flexible tires, even for about the same weight.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com