Fuller Center Bike Aventure, I need some advice!

Jumpit007

Feb 21, 2011
Ok! So I may be considered crazy, because I have never done anything like this before in my LIFE. The most I have ridden is 30 miles. In one day, and we did it like 6 times last summer.

I have decided to participate in the Fuller Center Bike Adventure with a friend this summer. Two months, 3600 miles. And we are stopping along the way to help restore houses for people who need it. We stay in churches, community centers, ect. Starts in Seattle, WA, and ends in Washington D.C.

Now, it's not like I'm completely lazy and out of shape. I ride horses, compete in jumping events. So I ride everyday. But I do have A LOT to work on to get this accomplished.

It starts June 10th. So I have until then to get prepared for this. I have a gym membership, and my friend is helping me convert my mountain bike into a road bike (Because I paid way too much for my mountain bike to not use it...). I just need some advice. Diet, workout plans, tips to avoid injury. Stuff like that.

And even books to read. I have an e-reader, so extra kudos if I can get it on my e-reader!

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me! And even if you want to give suggestions for converting my bike as well (it's a Trek 4500).

Stacey

Kudos on your undertaking!

Habitat for Humanity got me back into riding last year, but the ride I did was only 7 days/360 miles. Prior to the first day, I had never ridden more than 25 miles in one day. The first day was 55 miles, then 72 the second day, and it was cool out, so I was hurting, but a big meal and good night's sleep got me going again, and the rest of the week was much more fun, despite the constant headwinds. I started training in February on an exercise bike for the ride in May--going from the worst shape of my life to pretty close to the best at age 35

I don't think diet matters too much, other than to be reasonable with it. Your body will tell you what you need. For training purposes, be sure to get 20-30 grams of protein within a half hour after you finish your workout to aid in rebuilding muscle. I like whey protein mixed in a sports drink right after a ride. Other than that, eat healthy, balanced meals--you're not racing, just riding, so there's no need to kill yourself on the bike or at the supper table. I found that during the ride, I needed lots of calories (not much body fat to begin with), so I skipped drinking water while I rode, in favor of Gatorade, since I could get a few more calories down the hatch that way. Bananas are great during the ride, too.

As for workouts, if you can get in 1-2 hard hours every other day during the week, then do a longer ride on the weekends, you'll be in great shape for the ride. I like short, intense rides, even if they're a little painful, when it comes to training, then I'm able to back off a couple MPH on the long rides, and they seem easy. Find training routes with hills. There's no shame in walking your bike up hills, but it's sure nice when you don't have to!

Jason

P.S. Train your cadence--many people start out cycling at 60 RPM or lower, but if you can work that up to 75 to 90 RPM, your knees and muscles will thank you in the long run.

Lance A. "Every Second Counts " is available as an ebook at amazon

Thanks so much guys! I will definitely check out that ebook.

I am in the process of finding a good road bike, since I am currently training on my mountain bike. I am pretty low on cash, so I really only have like, 350-400 to spend on a used bike.

I've been all over craigslist, but no one will reply!