fully built bike reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Small Black Dog, Mar 18, 2003.

  1. I've got this mate in Ohio who's asking me about reccomendations of bikes. He's been off a bike for
    many years and it doesnt look like he's kept up with the times (he was talking of 10 speed bikes in
    'his day'?). He doesnt want to spend much more than $400 USD and is looking for something that will
    cope with some basic terrain (think forrest trails etc). So I'm lookin for suggestions on what to
    suggest. Something that has future upgradability and is also not completely shite. I thought that
    400 USD is too low a price to want to pay, so if there are any suggestions for something that costs
    slightly more feel free to share - I can probably talk him into like the $700 range.

    Thanks

    Small Black Dog

    Tags:

  2. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Small Black Dog wrote:
    > I've got this mate in Ohio who's asking me about recommendations of bikes. He's been off a bike
    > for many years and it doesn't look like he's kept up with the times (he was talking of 10 speed
    > bikes in 'his day'?). He doesnt want to spend much more than $400 USD and is looking for
    > something that will cope with some basic terrain (think forrest trails etc). So I'm lookin for
    > suggestions on what to suggest. Something that has future upgradability and is also not
    > completely shite. I thought that 400 USD is too low a price to want to pay, so if there are any
    > suggestions for something that costs slightly more feel free to share - I can probably talk him
    > into like the $700 range.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
    siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix of
    parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.

  3. > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
    > siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix of
    > parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.

    Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable discs. Got any specific
    names/brands of bikes?

    Small Black Dog

  4. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
    > > siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix
    > > of parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
    >
    > Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable
    discs.
    > Got any specific names/brands of bikes?
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    The big names (Trek, Specialized, KHS, Gary Fisher, Kona, Giant, etc...) all make bikes like this.
    I'm partial to Specialized when it comes to mass-produced bikes. I'm on my third and they've never
    failed me (although I've been getting the mid and higher end stuff). Maybe one of the Rock Hoppers
    would fit the bill.

    Matt

  5. ..::Tbf::..

    ..::Tbf::.. Guest

    "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
    > > siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix
    > > of parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
    >
    > Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable
    discs.
    > Got any specific names/brands of bikes?
    >
    > Small Black Dog

    Get a Giant Rincon or Rainier if you can spare the extra cash.

  6. Sabb

    Sabb Guest

    It really depends on what he would like to do. XC, Jumping, urban..? Get a bike that has more of a
    sloping top tube geometry. Specialized p2 , kona scab or stuff, rocky mountain grind. These types of
    bike allow for more of the off road heavy impact stuff. You can always pedal XC by bringing up the
    seat, but you can't take a good hit on a xc bike without banging it up. You may want to look at
    used, nothing old of course. Check out www.pinkbike.com in there buy and sell. select hardtails from
    the list and there is endless bikes that people want to get rid of. Buyer beware and ask lots of
    questions on condition of bike. If your lucky. You will find a bike that has never been ridin and is
    for sale at 80% of retail cost.

    news:[email protected]...