fully built bike reccomendations?



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Small Black Dog

Guest
I've got this mate in Ohio who's asking me about reccomendations of bikes. He's been off a bike for
many years and it doesnt look like he's kept up with the times (he was talking of 10 speed bikes in
'his day'?). He doesnt want to spend much more than $400 USD and is looking for something that will
cope with some basic terrain (think forrest trails etc). So I'm lookin for suggestions on what to
suggest. Something that has future upgradability and is also not completely shite. I thought that
400 USD is too low a price to want to pay, so if there are any suggestions for something that costs
slightly more feel free to share - I can probably talk him into like the $700 range.

Thanks

Small Black Dog
 
D

Dick

Guest
Small Black Dog wrote:
> I've got this mate in Ohio who's asking me about recommendations of bikes. He's been off a bike
> for many years and it doesn't look like he's kept up with the times (he was talking of 10 speed
> bikes in 'his day'?). He doesnt want to spend much more than $400 USD and is looking for
> something that will cope with some basic terrain (think forrest trails etc). So I'm lookin for
> suggestions on what to suggest. Something that has future upgradability and is also not
> completely shite. I thought that 400 USD is too low a price to want to pay, so if there are any
> suggestions for something that costs slightly more feel free to share - I can probably talk him
> into like the $700 range.
>
> Thanks
>
> Small Black Dog
>
There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix of
parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
 
S

Small Black Dog

Guest
> There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
> siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix of
> parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.

Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable discs. Got any specific
names/brands of bikes?

Small Black Dog
 
M

Mattb

Guest
"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
> > siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix
> > of parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
>
> Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable
discs.
> Got any specific names/brands of bikes?
>
> Small Black Dog
>
>

The big names (Trek, Specialized, KHS, Gary Fisher, Kona, Giant, etc...) all make bikes like this.
I'm partial to Specialized when it comes to mass-produced bikes. I'm on my third and they've never
failed me (although I've been getting the mid and higher end stuff). Maybe one of the Rock Hoppers
would fit the bill.

Matt
 
T

..::Tbf::..

Guest
"Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame as there more expensive
> > siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find something that has a fair mix
> > of parts for a newbie as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
>
> Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable
discs.
> Got any specific names/brands of bikes?
>
> Small Black Dog
>
>

Get a Giant Rincon or Rainier if you can spare the extra cash.
 
S

Sabb

Guest
It really depends on what he would like to do. XC, Jumping, urban..? Get a bike that has more of a
sloping top tube geometry. Specialized p2 , kona scab or stuff, rocky mountain grind. These types of
bike allow for more of the off road heavy impact stuff. You can always pedal XC by bringing up the
seat, but you can't take a good hit on a xc bike without banging it up. You may want to look at
used, nothing old of course. Check out www.pinkbike.com in there buy and sell. select hardtails from
the list and there is endless bikes that people want to get rid of. Buyer beware and ask lots of
questions on condition of bike. If your lucky. You will find a bike that has never been ridin and is
for sale at 80% of retail cost.

Good luck "..::TBF::.." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Small Black Dog" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > There are a lot of bikes in the $500 range that share the same frame
as
> > > there more expensive siblings thus making them quite upgradable. Usually you can find
> > > something that has a fair mix of parts for a
newbie
> > > as long as you stay away from discs and FS.
> >
> > Yeah, discs are not featuring in this equation - especially not cable
> discs.
> > Got any specific names/brands of bikes?
> >
> > Small Black Dog
> >
> >
>
> Get a Giant Rincon or Rainier if you can spare the extra cash.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

B
Replies
15
Views
309
Road Cycling
Helmut Springer
H