Fully inflating tyres on a Brompton

Helen

Guest
Hi all

I recently got a new Brompton T3, which I was very happy with until
yesterday when I took my track pump to it for the first time and
inflated the tyres to 100psi, the recommended max pressure on the side
of the tyre (these are standard Brompton tyres). Only then I kept
getting a strange rubbing sound when I rode, couldn't figure it out
until I got home and found the rear tyre was rubbing against the frame,
and there was quite clearly some wear on the tyre where this had been
happening.

I've reduced the pressure for now so it no longer rubs, but I'm just
wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem. Brompton
owners, what pressure do you inflate to? Surely it should be OK with
the pressure recommended on the tyres that it came with! I've had a T3
before which never had this problem.

Cheers!
Helen

Helen wrote:

> I've reduced the pressure for now so it no longer rubs, but I'm just
> wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem. Brompton
> owners, what pressure do you inflate to? Surely it should be OK with
> the pressure recommended on the tyres that it came with! I've had a T3
> before which never had this problem.

I use 100 psi. I've got Marathons rather than the Brompton tyres, but
my L3 owning pal uses the Brom tyres at full pressure with no problems
and the Marathons are, if anything, slightly chunkier.

Sounds to me like there's a problem either with the wheel or the mount
(could be skewed, or the frame itself might be). I'd remove the rear
wheel, check it's true, reseat the tyre and then replace the wheel,
checking it's fully into the dropouts. If the problem persists then
back to the dealer.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Helen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I recently got a new Brompton T3, which I was very happy with until
> yesterday when I took my track pump to it for the first time and
> inflated the tyres to 100psi, the recommended max pressure on the side
> of the tyre (these are standard Brompton tyres). Only then I kept
> getting a strange rubbing sound when I rode, couldn't figure it out
> until I got home and found the rear tyre was rubbing against the frame,
> and there was quite clearly some wear on the tyre where this had been
> happening.
>
> I've reduced the pressure for now so it no longer rubs, but I'm just
> wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem. Brompton
> owners, what pressure do you inflate to? Surely it should be OK with
> the pressure recommended on the tyres that it came with! I've had a T3
> before which never had this problem.
>
> Cheers!
> Helen

According to the Brompton owners manual the recommended pressures for these
tyre are 60-80 psi for the front and 70-90 psi for the rear,the maximum
pressure is 100 psi so you should be OK with a bit less pressure.Having said
that they should be able to take 100 psi without any problem.As it is a new
bike I would take it back to the shop and have them look at it,perhaps the
wheel isn't central in the frame.My wifes Brommy takes 100 psi with no
problem,admittedly on Schwalbe tyres but I can't see that making all that
much difference.

Incidentally I would alter your e-mail address if you don't want to be
deluged with spam.

Hope this helps,

Sam Salt

In my own experience this is caused by the tyre not fully fitted into the
rim. Try removing the air, re seating the tyre and starting again.
Best regards,
John
PS New pictures taken on my ride today
http://www.pbase.com/john28july/inbox

Enjoy!

--
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

"Helen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all
>
> I recently got a new Brompton T3, which I was very happy with until
> yesterday when I took my track pump to it for the first time and
> inflated the tyres to 100psi, the recommended max pressure on the side
> of the tyre (these are standard Brompton tyres). Only then I kept
> getting a strange rubbing sound when I rode, couldn't figure it out
> until I got home and found the rear tyre was rubbing against the frame,
> and there was quite clearly some wear on the tyre where this had been
> happening.
>
> I've reduced the pressure for now so it no longer rubs, but I'm just
> wondering if anybody else had experienced this problem. Brompton
> owners, what pressure do you inflate to? Surely it should be OK with
> the pressure recommended on the tyres that it came with! I've had a T3
> before which never had this problem.
>
> Cheers!
> Helen

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:32 GMT, "Another group member"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>PS New pictures taken on my ride today
>http://www.pbase.com/john28july/inbox
>
>Enjoy!

Those pictures of your bicycle all have distracting backgrounds.

Was your bike /really/ the only thing worth photographing on yor ride
today? You should come over to Hampshire. We've got lots of scenery.

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:32 GMT, "Another group member"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>PS New pictures taken on my ride today
>>http://www.pbase.com/john28july/inbox
>>
>>Enjoy!

> Those pictures of your bicycle all have distracting backgrounds.
>
> Was your bike /really/ the only thing worth photographing on yor ride
> today? You should come over to Hampshire. We've got lots of scenery.

Plenty of scenery in the Severn Vale where he was! Looks like Berkeley
Church to me, and Jenner museum also in same location. Lots of scenery in
the area, the Cotswold escarpment on one side, the Forest of Dean on the
other, and the river Severn running through it.

A Railman

Hello Hants!
I came to where I live not so long ago. Where from? Guess!
Dorset border with Hampshire.In fact only this small section of family live
here, the rest are in Poole and Romsey-so-I do actually know most of the
scenery your area.
John.

--
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:03:32 GMT, "Another group member"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>PS New pictures taken on my ride today
>>http://www.pbase.com/john28july/inbox
>>
>>Enjoy!

> Those pictures of your bicycle all have distracting backgrounds.
>
> Was your bike /really/ the only thing worth photographing on yor ride
> today? You should come over to Hampshire. We've got lots of scenery.

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:52:56 -0000, "A Railman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Was your bike /really/ the only thing worth photographing on yor ride
>> today? You should come over to Hampshire. We've got lots of scenery.

>Plenty of scenery in the Severn Vale where he was! Looks like Berkeley
>Church to me, and Jenner museum also in same location. Lots of scenery in
>the area, the Cotswold escarpment on one side, the Forest of Dean on the
>other, and the river Severn running through it.

Evidently still not as beautiful as a bike though.

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:14:25 +0000, Al C-F
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Those pictures of your bicycle all have distracting backgrounds.

"And here's Ethel standing in front of the Taj Mahal, look, you can
just see it behind her head..."

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Now if I had just showed pictures of scenery with no bike, the fallout from
this group would have been beyond belief!
John-Trying to please those who want not to be pleased.............

--

http://www.pbase.com/john28july

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 02:52:56 -0000, "A Railman"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> Was your bike /really/ the only thing worth photographing on yor ride
>>> today? You should come over to Hampshire. We've got lots of scenery.

>>Plenty of scenery in the Severn Vale where he was! Looks like Berkeley
>>Church to me, and Jenner museum also in same location. Lots of scenery in
>>the area, the Cotswold escarpment on one side, the Forest of Dean on the
>>other, and the river Severn running through it.

> Evidently still not as beautiful as a bike though.

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:56:43 GMT, "Another group member"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Now if I had just showed pictures of scenery with no bike, the fallout from
>this group would have been beyond belief!
>John-Trying to please those who want not to be pleased.............

Please don't top-post.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 14:53:40 +0000, Al C-F
<[email protected]>:

>>John-Trying to please those who want not to be pleased.............

>Please don't top-post.

Cloff!