Fun on Three Wheels

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Russ Price, May 4, 2003.

  1. Russ Price

    Russ Price Guest

    Friday, I went to Toledo to pick up the TerraTrike that was for sale recently. It turned out to be
    well worth the 500-mile round trip! Saturday, I took it out for a metric century shakedown run. The
    trike performed quite well - based on my average speed, which included quite a bit of riding at a
    slower "social" pace with a couple of local 'benters, I'm no slower on it than I am on my Rocket,
    and maybe a hair or two faster due the low seating position.

    Indeed, at one point, while cruising down the trail, a roadie on a LeMond Zurich blew past. I
    couldn't resist, so I kicked it into overdrive and put the hammer down. The lowracer-height seat
    *really* helped out, as we were heading into a stiff east wind. I wound up blasting past him... when
    I got to the next road crossing, I stopped to wait for my buddies, and the guy on the LeMond came up
    and stopped for a chat. He was *very* interested in the trike - who knows, maybe we'll have another
    triker in our midst!

    Now I know first hand about "trike grin!" It seems to be contagious - one of my group stopped at the
    LBS and put down a deposit on a Catrike Speed, and there are a lot of other trike owners among the
    Chicago south 'bent contingent.

    Hmmm... a trike paceline would be interesting!
    --
    Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email 2001 RANS Rocket, WizWheelz
    TerraTrike 3.0+

    "Bus error - passengers dumped"

    Tags:

  2. Yeah Cannot get any better than laying back in a Chaise lounge on 3 wheels and getting to read the
    serial numbers on car hubcaps at your side. Maybe this summer I'll trade in my Giro Helmet for a
    Panama straw hat and ride with a Pina Colada in one hand and play "Jimmy Buffet" on a radio with the
    speakers facing outward on my left and ride side....as I zip passed a roadie LOL
    ---------------------------------
    "Russ Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Friday, I went to Toledo to pick up the TerraTrike that was for sale recently. It turned out to be
    > well worth the 500-mile round trip! Saturday, I took it out for a metric century shakedown run.
    > The trike performed quite well - based on my average speed, which included quite a bit of riding
    > at a slower "social" pace with a couple of local 'benters, I'm no slower on it than I am on my
    > Rocket, and maybe a hair or two faster due the low seating position.
    >
    > Indeed, at one point, while cruising down the trail, a roadie on a LeMond Zurich blew past. I
    > couldn't resist, so I kicked it into overdrive and put the hammer down. The lowracer-height seat
    > *really* helped out, as we were heading into a stiff east wind. I wound up blasting past him...
    > when I got to the next road crossing, I stopped to wait for my buddies, and the guy on the LeMond
    > came up and stopped for a chat. He was *very* interested in the trike - who knows, maybe we'll
    > have another triker in our midst!
    >
    > Now I know first hand about "trike grin!" It seems to be contagious - one of my group stopped at
    > the LBS and put down a deposit on a Catrike Speed, and there are a lot of other trike owners among
    > the Chicago south 'bent contingent.
    >
    > Hmmm... a trike paceline would be interesting!
    > --
    > Russ Price * [email protected] * kill the wabbit to email 2001 RANS Rocket, WizWheelz
    > TerraTrike 3.0+
    >
    > "Bus error - passengers dumped"

  3. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Russ Price wrote:

    > Friday, I went to Toledo to pick up the TerraTrike that was for sale recently. It turned out to be
    > well worth the 500-mile round trip! Saturday, I took it out for a metric century shakedown run.
    > The trike performed quite well - based on my average speed, which included quite a bit of riding
    > at a slower "social" pace with a couple of local 'benters, I'm no slower on it than I am on my
    > Rocket, and maybe a hair or two faster due the low seating position....

    Russ,

    A 500 mile round trip to pick up a trike is pretty wimpy - I drove over 800 miles when I went to
    Ohio to pick up my trike. ;)

    You should have been on the Sudden Century today. The route was basically Minooka-Morris-Seneca
    (with optional loops for the longer distances from Seneca)-Morris-Minooka. The unusual ESE wind made
    the return route difficult for everyone riding an unnecessarily high distance from the ground, i.e.
    everyone but myself. I passed a lot of better conditioned upright riders on the final leg, and no
    one passed
    me.

    The obvious conclusion is that the only HPV designs that make sense in a flat windy area are
    lowracers and low trikes.

  4. You're preaching to the converted. After falling three times last year on my Toureasy, I decided to
    go Trike. I have a Penninger Voyager, and a Wicks Trimuter. I just finished the NY five borough bike
    tour on the Penninger.

    Let me tell you, I felt guilty as I watched the pain develop on the diamond frame rider's faces as
    they approached the last ten miles. I just casually rode along, pain free and fall free. My only
    issue is the hills. While the DF riders were wobbling or walking their bikes to the top, I was down
    to about 4mph, but I rode up! Moving 52lbs of Penninger, is not an easy task on a hill, but it was
    fun going 28 mph down on the other side. Long live the trikes!

  5. "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You're preaching to the converted. After falling three times last year on my Toureasy, I decided
    > to go Trike. I have a Penninger Voyager, and a Wicks Trimuter. I just finished the NY five borough
    > bike tour on the Penninger.
    >
    > Let me tell you, I felt guilty as I watched the pain develop on the diamond frame rider's faces as
    > they approached the last ten miles. I just casually rode along, pain free and fall free. My only
    > issue is the hills. While the DF riders were wobbling or walking their bikes to the top, I was
    > down to about 4mph, but I rode up! Moving 52lbs of Penninger, is not an easy task on a hill, but
    > it was fun going 28 mph down on the other side. Long live the trikes!

    I also converted - from a delta trike to a tadpole trike. (but I must admit a few falls due to my
    "over-doing" obvious driving limits! )

    Going 4 mph on hills was my problem too, so I stuck a motor on. Solved that problem very well; but
    created more by allowing me more acceleration, speed where I should slow down (turns especially) and
    being totally banned as a traitor or cheater when I wipe out the competition with battery power.

    Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.