Functional diff between Chorus & Record?

Morgan Fletcher

Guest
I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current Record
and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?

Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences.

Thanks,

Morgan

"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current
> Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?
>
> Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morgan

I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't think there are any functional differences. Record has
carbon & titanium bits for weight savings, but aside from that I believe they're functionally
identical.

-Patrick

<< Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences. >>

The Record cranks are said to be stiffer, but I doubt that the difference is measurable.

Morgan Fletcher wrote:
> I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current
> Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?

Hubs and headsets have grease ports.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Morgan Fletcher wrote:
>> I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current
>> Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?
>
> Hubs and headsets have grease ports.

Record do, I mean. Chorus don't.

> ~PB

"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current
> Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?
>
> Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences.

Look at Campagnolo's spare parts lists at:

http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c

Record components have "RE" before the number and Chorus parts have "CH". Note how many Record parts
are in Chorus assemblies. For example, all the running parts in Record, Chorus and Centaur hubs
(cups, cones, axles, etc) are the same. This is pretty much as you would expect from a
well-integrated manufacturer. This should allow you to decide what differences are functional and
what are weight or cosmetic differences.

John Retchford

> Look at Campagnolo's spare parts lists at: http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c

Now, just for a laugh, and as a pointless waste of time: Look at the Shimano website and see if you
can spot anything like a spare parts list............... go on.......... well? Any luck? Robert

Originally posted by Robert McDonald
> Look at Campagnolo's spare parts lists at: http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c

Now, just for a laugh, and as a pointless waste of time: Look at the Shimano website and see if you
can spot anything like a spare parts list............... go on.......... well? Any luck? Robert

On the page for each item there are Service Instructions PDFs, and and Exploded View with part numbers.. e.g. for a Dura-Ace STI lever:

http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber=ST-7700-C

:)

No functional differences except for retro grease ports on Record Hubs and HS.

R / John

"Morgan Fletcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's current
> Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?
>
> Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Morgan

morgan-<< I know about materials differences and small weight differences between Campagnolo's
current Record and Chorus groups. What are the functional differences, if any?

NO functional differences, take away the carbon and ti bits, make the BB spindle a little
heavier-you have Chorus...

<< Looking for marketed differences as well as perceived differences.

Well, Record is Record, afterall.....:-l)

[email protected] (Robert McDonald) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Look at Campagnolo's spare parts lists at: http://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c
>
> Now, just for a laugh, and as a pointless waste of time: Look at the Shimano website and see if
> you can spot anything like a spare parts list............... go on.......... well? Any luck?

It is funny. When was the last time you looked? The info is on the Euro sites for years. Here is an
example, now available at the US site,

http://bike.shimano.com/services/tech_info_b.asp?cat=Road&pg=Dura-Ace

Now try this not as a joke, Shimano 105 is functionally equal or better than _____. You can buy the
group for less than _____'s price and still have money for a nice frameset and I am not counting in
those plastic cranks.

If you're buying, get Chorus. If someone else is paying, get Record! : )

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

rek <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Robert McDonald wrote:
> > > Look at Campagnolo's spare parts lists at: http://www.campagnolo.com/-
> > > techinfo.php?did=chttp://www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c
> > Now, just for a laugh, and as a pointless waste of time: Look at the Shimano website and see
> > if you can spot anything like a spare parts list............... go on.......... well? Any
> > luck? Robert
>

> On the page for each item there are Service Instructions PDFs, and and Exploded View with part
> numbers.. e.g. for a Dura-Ace STI lever:
>
> http://bike.shimano.com/Road/Dura-Ace/componenttemplate.asp?partnumber- =ST-7700-C

Yes, there are "service instructions" and an exploded view with "part numbers", but you'll find its
virtually impossible to order any of the parts, Shimano USA does not stock or sell them, and the
"service instructions" are only good for mounting the lever. It does not explain how to take apart
or put back an STI lever....