Functional Training: How Can I learn about it?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Fito, Jun 20, 2003.

  1. Fito

    Fito Guest

    Hi, I've read a lot of information about Functional Training (FT) and I want to learn more about it.
    I want to incorporate a Functional Training routine to improve my triathlon results. However; All
    the articles I ‘ve found explain on broad terms what FT is and don't give me a good guide to follow.

    The most practical information I found is on this article
    http://www.ridefast.com/ctscafe/articles/workouts/functionalstrengthtraining.htm it includes a
    little routine and pictures…

    I also read the The Gambetta Method book and it is too technical (uses a lot of scientific terms)
    and doesn't how to create a little routine based on the sports you do.

    Where can I find practical information on FT? How can I find a physical trainer or coach with FT
    knowledge in my area?

    Thanks

    Rodolfo

    Tags:

  2. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On 20 Jun 2003 08:50:45 -0700, [email protected] (Fito) wrote:

    >Hi, I've read a lot of information about Functional Training (FT) and I want to learn more about
    >it. I want to incorporate a Functional Training routine to improve my triathlon results.
    >However; All the articles I ‘ve found explain on broad terms what FT is and don't give me a good
    >guide to follow.
    >
    >The most practical information I found is on this article
    >http://www.ridefast.com/ctscafe/articles/workouts/functionalstrengthtraining.htm it includes a
    >little routine and pictures…
    >
    >I also read the The Gambetta Method book and it is too technical (uses a lot of scientific terms)
    >and doesn't how to create a little routine based on the sports you do.
    >
    >Where can I find practical information on FT? How can I find a physical trainer or coach with FT
    >knowledge in my area?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Rodolfo

    Although it's not touting itself as FT there is a rather helpfull section in Joe Friels
    triathlete training bible on weight training. Most of what he supports is similar to FT,
    including sport specific movement, and different training sets for for differnt effect
    I.E. Muscular endurance, Power, Adaptation etc. I think the only real difference between most tri
    specific weight lifting and FT would be a stronger emphasis on stability in FT.

    ~Matt

  3. Great article! I don't particulary keep up on tri weight-training literature but I haven't seen
    something like this before and it's about time someone recommended strength and power training with
    weights, and not just muscular endurance work, to triathletes as well as participants in each of the
    three separate sports.

    -S- http://www.kbnj.com