Funding a cleat bicycle tool business

JD Dixon

Jan 30, 2011
Has anyone started a bicycle related business, and been able to get funding for it? Looking to market a cleat positioning tool and getting the patent started already, but the 3-D cad work is going to be expensive. Not sure if there may be a forum to try and locate someone familiar with cycling problems and ideas to solve them. Anyone have leads?

You hardly need 3D CAD drawing to get a proof of concept an or an intitial working prototype.

I know some folks that have used this for custom car bits:

http://www.emachineshop.com/

Price is reasonable and service is quick. They even check for errors in your design before machining, so you don't cnc your way back through the finished item ;)

Originally Posted by JD Dixon .

Has anyone started a bicycle related business, and been able to get funding for it? Looking to market [COLOR= #ff0000]a cleat positioning tool[/COLOR] and getting the patent started already, but the 3-D cad work is going to be expensive. Not sure if there may be a forum to try and locate someone familiar with cycling problems and ideas to solve them. Anyone have leads?
FWIW. I know someone who seems to have spent the past half-dozen years trying to get funding for a bicycle related product ...

I don't even remember what THAT product was, now, since I heard the description second hand from a mutual friend who the first person was trying to tap as an investor ... that is, the particular product didn't seem particularly worthwhile (to me, at least) ...

Regardless, I'm inclined to think that your [COLOR= #ff0000]cleat positioning tool[/COLOR] is akin to a "tool" to facilitate cutting-the-crust-off-a-sandwich ([COLOR= #808080]well, fortunately for you, I-and-others apparently lack imagination with regard to new products which you-and-others feel are worthwhile because there is always a market for new or improved products[/COLOR]) -- others may disagree with me with regard to the need for a cleat positioning tool, and you-and-they may be right!

You are correct that you need to begin by going through the PATENT process ...

Check with your local Small Business Association to find out if there are any "incubators" in your area.

Good luck with your venture.

This is soo cool. Not only will they let you use the software for free, but you can order parts one at a time until you get the dimensions right. Thank you so much.

Well getting the patent process in the works, so I've gotten a reply from the Patent office, and two prototypes done. The tool will help position your cleats to any shoe, with any style pedal used. If you decide to change pedals for something new, the tool is set up with the same angles and dimensions to match what you used previously. Most people do a simple up and down motion with a little heel movement left and right. But this tool can adjust your cleats by degrees so if you ride with your heel out, and you get the position where you like it, that same position can be used from shoe to shoe and what ever cleat and pedal system come on the market. Thank you for the advice, and I hope you see it on the market soon.