Fundraising on a bike

Richard Bates

Guest
Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
using a bike?

My challenge is to raise £250.

Love and ideas from Rich xx

--
Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?" To reply
replace the obvious bit with "richard"

How about a sponsored roller ride. Your friends/ sponsors can come along to see how you are doing,
not weather dependent either. Get a local shop involved and do it in their premises. Maybe have a
'guess the distance (that you would have) pedalled in x hours'.

Where are you based Richard ?

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> using a bike?
>
> My challenge is to raise £250.
>
> Love and ideas from Rich xx
>
> --
> Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other, "Does this taste funny to you?" To reply
> replace the obvious bit with "richard"

> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> using a bike?

Does doing the monopoly board count as a sponsored cycle ride? Probably. Never mind. Doing it from
Cambridge, visiting all the places in order took about 180 miles. Never found anybody to join me on
a repeat though...

cheers, clive

In article <[email protected]>, M Series <[email protected]> wrote:
> How about a sponsored roller ride. Your friends/ sponsors can come along to see how you are doing,
> not weather dependent either. Get a local shop involved and do it in their premises. Maybe have a
> 'guess the distance (that you would have) pedalled in x hours'.

Do it in a supermarket foyer and get them to double the money which you raise. Big publicity for
them and loadsa cash for your charity - it will only work once however. In you publicity say that
you will attempt to cycle 500 times round the supermarket in a certain time which will limit the
supermarkets donation but will still produce a healthy return.

Almost on topic. Last October the Scottish Motor Neurone Disease(?) Association did a sponsored
cycle/walk on Cumbrae - they raised over £6,000 on one day.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton on the Bicycle Island In the Global Village

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:02:19 +0100, Jeremy Parker <[email protected]> in
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
>> using a bike?

>Become a bike courier? Or is the object that someone else, rather than you, donate the money to
>this undefined recipient. If the cause,

There is no reason why it couldn't be both myself and other people who wish to support. Seeing as
you have subtly hinted that you would like to know who the beneficiary is, I will tell you: It is
Birmingham Childrens' Hospital, which is also my employer.

>whatever it is, is good enough that you feel that somebody ought to give money to it, why not ask
>them directly, rather than confusing the issue with pursuing your hobby at the same time, and
>proclaiming that your hobby is so unpleasant that you have to be paid to do it

I would not have to be proclaiming that my hobby is unpleasant: possibly the opposite. As an
example, last year, a group of keen ballroom dancers organised a dinner dance, inviting some well
known couples from the "dance world". This appealed sufficiently to other enthusiatic dancers and
spectators (Come Dancing viewers?) within the hospital, that they purchased tickets to the event.
Profits from the evening mounted to £6,500. I don't believe that the evening would have been
successful if the organisers had taken the attitude "I hate dancing so please pay me to do it and
I'll give the money to charity".

So potentially there are ways of raising money using cycling in an enthusiastic way - but my ideas
of how are few. Hance the original post asking for suggestions.

Love and crossed fingers from Rich xx

--
Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
the @ sign

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:57:56 +0000, Richard Bates did issue forth:

> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> using a bike?

Sell the bike! ;-)

--
Huw Pritchard | Replace bounce with huw | to reply by mail | www.secretworldgovernment.org

> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> using a bike?
>
> My challenge is to raise £250.

Become a bike courier? Or is the object that someone else, rather than you, donate the money to
this undefined recipient. If the cause, whatever it is, is good enough that you feel that somebody
ought to give money to it, why not ask them directly, rather than confusing the issue with pursuing
your hobby at the same time, and proclaiming that your hobby is so unpleasant that you have to be
paid to do it

Jeremy Parker

In message <[email protected]>, Richard Bates
<[email protected]> writes
>Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
>using a bike?

Get 50 people (all your mates plus work-mates etc.) to dig out the old bikes from their garage and
follow you round a nice course. Say, to the botanical gardens for a cup of tea. Paying £5 each for
the privilege, of course. And even more if the bikes need attention first - just bring your
jackhammer and HPX pump.

Call it a "Critical Mass"? Get some enthusiasm going!

--
Richard Keatinge

http://www.keatinge.net

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
>using a bike? My challenge is to raise £250.

No problem - every time you think of going to the bike shop, put the fifty quid in a tin instead :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:02:19 +0100, Jeremy Parker <[email protected]> in
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> >> using a bike?
>
> >Become a bike courier? Or is the object that someone else, rather than you, donate the money to
> >this undefined recipient. If the cause,
>
> There is no reason why it couldn't be both myself and other people who wish to support. Seeing as
> you have subtly hinted that you would like to know who the beneficiary is, I will tell you: It is
> Birmingham Childrens' Hospital, which is also my employer.
>
> >whatever it is, is good enough that you feel that somebody ought to give money to it, why not ask
> >them directly, rather than confusing the issue with pursuing your hobby at the same time, and
> >proclaiming that your hobby is so unpleasant that you have to be paid to do it
>
> I would not have to be proclaiming that my hobby is unpleasant: possibly the opposite. As an
> example, last year, a group of keen ballroom dancers organised a dinner dance, inviting some well
> known couples from the "dance world". This appealed sufficiently to other enthusiatic dancers and
> spectators (Come Dancing viewers?) within the hospital, that they purchased tickets to the event.
> Profits from the evening mounted to £6,500. I don't believe that the evening would have been
> successful if the organisers had taken the attitude "I hate dancing so please pay me to do it and
> I'll give the money to charity".
>
> So potentially there are ways of raising money using cycling in an enthusiastic way - but my ideas
> of how are few. Hance the original post asking for suggestions.
>
> Love and crossed fingers from Rich xx
>
> --
> Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
> the @ sign

...er...don't s'pose you could abseil on a bike ??... not very helpful, sorry... Dave. good luck,
very worthy cause.
p.s. - I saw fire-fighters in Cornwall last year doing a sponsored row in the town centre. They had
a few rowing machines that recorded distance and were challenging passers-by to races. They
raised cash from the challenges and from sponsorship for the overall distances rowed. Variation
on a theme and interactive with the local community, raising awareness of worthy causes etc. -
Swap rowing machines for bikes/trainers and you're away....it's a thought anyway.

"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003 11:02:19 +0100, Jeremy Parker <[email protected]> in
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >> Apart from the obvious sponsored cycle ride, any sugestion on how to raise money for a charity,
> >> using a bike?
>
> >Become a bike courier? Or is the object that someone else, rather than you, donate the money to
> >this undefined recipient. If the cause,
>
> There is no reason why it couldn't be both myself and other people who wish to support. Seeing as
> you have subtly hinted that you would like to know who the beneficiary is, I will tell you: It is
> Birmingham Childrens' Hospital, which is also my employer.

What if you get two bikes set up on rollers on a Saturday somewhere near the hospital where you can
find passers-by, and have a challenge: £1 to see if they can 'go further' than you in ten minutes,
and if they do, they don't have to pay the £1, but you have sponsors to pay it for you (up to some
maximum, I guess), otherwise the passer-by pays.

And of course, they're most likely to donate anyway.

I hope I explained reasonably clearly. It might be a fun idea.