Fungus in my helmet

lonz

Jul 19, 2004
Hi i live and commute in a small island in the meditarenean which is Malta, which is a very hot country. I comute 10km to work daily and 10km back. Obviously when i comute especially bacy i will be sweaty because of a steep hill i have to climb on my way home. Yesterday when i was going to wear my helmet i noticed that in the helmet pads there is a moth living and there is a bad smell. How can i prevent this from of moth or fungus.

Hav a gr8 time commuting :)

Not sure you can prevent it, but you can wash it.

Some people recommend to remove the pads and throw them in the washing machine. I'd be afraid of tearing them apart quickly.

I generally wash the entire helmet in the sink, using hot water, soap, bleach for unbleachables (so the pads keep their shape and colour) and a soft brush. It takes about 5 minutes and the helmet dries almost completely overnight and completely if you have a day off the bike.

mgagnonlv said:
Not sure you can prevent it, but you can wash it.

Some people recommend to remove the pads and throw them in the washing machine. I'd be afraid of tearing them apart quickly.

I generally wash the entire helmet in the sink, using hot water, soap, bleach for unbleachables (so the pads keep their shape and colour) and a soft brush. It takes about 5 minutes and the helmet dries almost completely overnight and completely if you have a day off the bike.

Washing helmets? I haven't washed my mountain bike helmet in like 2 years.... Who knows how many colonies of fungi/bacteria are living....

lonz said:
Hi i live and commute in a small island in the meditarenean which is Malta, which is a very hot country. I comute 10km to work daily and 10km back. Obviously when i comute especially bacy i will be sweaty because of a steep hill i have to climb on my way home. Yesterday when i was going to wear my helmet i noticed that in the helmet pads there is a moth living and there is a bad smell. How can i prevent this from of moth or fungus.

Wash it first in the sink but to prevent this in the future just take it in the shower with you occasionally. Put shampoo in your hair and work up a good lather then put the helmet on and just rub it around on your head.

birdman23 said:
Wash it first in the sink but to prevent this in the future just take it in the shower with you occasionally. Put shampoo in your hair and work up a good lather then put the helmet on and just rub it around on your head.
10x 4 d advice

lonz said:

G'day, Lonz, mate it's very simple, follow the formula and you will have a nice smelling helmet and no fungus?

Into 300 millilitres of distilled water, add two table spoons of methylated spirit,
10 drops of clove oil, (essential oils) 10 drops of Lavender oil, (essential oil)

Give this mixture a good shake and put it into a spray bottle, (the type you can buy from the suprermarket)

When you take off the helmet spray the mixture into it and wipe it out,

Next spray it lightly again and leave it outside to dry over night, or in the shade, not in direct sunlight.

You will have a nice smelling crash hat forever?

The other trick of course is to wear a bandana under your hat it will soak up the sweat and you can wash it lightly, hang it out to dry like the hat. Get two or three bandana's, mix and match.

Keep the wheels in motion, and don't look back unless it's to see who you dropped on the last climb? TBC