Funky round fin

Pat

Guest
Okay, today I saw an interesting sight at the local pool. Guy was wearing a
snorkel, doing the breast stroke with his arms, and his feet were encased in
a funky round fin as he moved his feet in sort of a butterfly stroke.

This must have been really difficult for him, because he could only manage
25 meters before having to stop and rest. Have any of you swim coaches had
experience with this large round fin? Is it to make a person used to the
motion a butterfly stroke requires, or does it work on certain target
muscles?

Pat in TX

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 15:05:06 -0600, Pat wrote:

> Okay, today I saw an interesting sight at the local pool. Guy was wearing a
> snorkel, doing the breast stroke with his arms, and his feet were encased in
> a funky round fin as he moved his feet in sort of a butterfly stroke.
>
> This must have been really difficult for him, because he could only manage
> 25 meters before having to stop and rest. Have any of you swim coaches had
> experience with this large round fin? Is it to make a person used to the
> motion a butterfly stroke requires, or does it work on certain target
> muscles?

Sounds like http://www.swimgear.co.za/monofins.htm

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Okay, today I saw an interesting sight at the local pool. Guy was
> wearing a snorkel, doing the breast stroke with his arms, and his feet
> were encased in a funky round fin as he moved his feet in sort of a
> butterfly stroke.
>
> This must have been really difficult for him, because he could only
> manage 25 meters before having to stop and rest. Have any of you swim
> coaches had experience with this large round fin? Is it to make a
> person used to the motion a butterfly stroke requires, or does it work
> on certain target muscles?
>
> Pat in TX

Monofins exist in a variety of sizes and shapes, although I can't say
I've seen one I'd call round.

I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as
well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my
instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about
your dolphin kick in a good way.

One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is preventing
the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I think I'd use
them to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin" would find some
interesting reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't terribly helpful.

-S-

> I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when teaching
> butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as well).
> When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my instructor
> did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about your dolphin
> kick in a good way.
>
> One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is preventing
> the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I think I'd use them
> to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin" would find some interesting
> reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't terribly helpful.
>
> -S-

Did you teach the butterfly/dolphin by having the kids use a snorkel?

"Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
>> teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them
>> as well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things
>> my instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything
>> about your dolphin kick in a good way.
>>
>> One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is
>> preventing the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I
>> think I'd use them to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin"
>> would find some interesting reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't
>> terribly helpful.
>>
>> -S-

> Did you teach the butterfly/dolphin by having the kids use a snorkel?

No, never, nor would I. We use a snorkel in the lifeguard class because
it can be useful in certain kinds of rescue situations, but never to
teach swimming.

The big thing, I feel, in teaching fly is timing, so I first teach them
to dolphin kick and breath every two kicks whether they need it or not.
The fins work well with a slower, more powerful dolphin kick and that's
what I encourage We follow that with one-armed butterfly, which has
most of the timing of the full-stroke but is much less intimidating, and
by that point they are ready to the full stroke and usually need only
relatively minor adjustments. I typically go through this little
progression every week and do it in 50's - down using the fly or dolphin
kick drill, back using backstroke.

-S-

Steve Freides wrote:

> I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
> teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as
> well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my
> instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about
> your dolphin kick in a good way.

When you say long fins, you don't mean diving fins. You mean normal,
swimming fins. Yes? Diving fins would be torture.

Steve Freides wrote:
> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Okay, today I saw an interesting sight at the local pool. Guy was
>> wearing a snorkel, doing the breast stroke with his arms, and his feet
>> were encased in a funky round fin as he moved his feet in sort of a
>> butterfly stroke.
>>
>> This must have been really difficult for him, because he could only
>> manage 25 meters before having to stop and rest. Have any of you swim
>> coaches had experience with this large round fin? Is it to make a
>> person used to the motion a butterfly stroke requires, or does it work
>> on certain target muscles?
>>
>> Pat in TX

> Monofins exist in a variety of sizes and shapes, although I can't say
> I've seen one I'd call round.
>
> I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
> teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as
> well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my
> instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about
> your dolphin kick in a good way.
>
> One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is preventing
> the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I think I'd use
> them to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin" would find some
> interesting reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't terribly helpful.

I think the terminology is important here. Swimmers should not be using
skin diving fins for dolphin kick training because they are too long. It
goes without saying that scuba fins are out too. Swimming fins are
significantly shorter than skin diving fins, but they are longer than,
for example, Zoomers, and other training fins.

These are scuba and skin diving fins. Too long for dolphin kick training:

http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,12942,

These are swimming fins:

http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,14072,

There are other popular models, including Churchill, Duck Feet, etc.

http://www.waveblasters.com/finschurchill.html
http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/shop...e-Outs+Specials/product.html?ProductID=96-907

On Dec 4, 1:29 am, mwsmith <[email protected]> wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
> > "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Okay, today I saw an interesting sight at the local pool. Guy was
> >> wearing a snorkel, doing the breast stroke with his arms, and his feet
> >> were encased in a funky round fin as he moved his feet in sort of a
> >> butterfly stroke.

> >> This must have been really difficult for him, because he could only
> >> manage 25 meters before having to stop and rest. Have any of you swim
> >> coaches had experience with this large round fin? Is it to make a
> >> person used to the motion a butterfly stroke requires, or does it work
> >> on certain target muscles?

> >> Pat in TX

> > Monofins exist in a variety of sizes and shapes, although I can't say
> > I've seen one I'd call round.

> > I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
> > teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as
> > well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my
> > instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about
> > your dolphin kick in a good way.

> > One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is preventing
> > the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I think I'd use
> > them to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin" would find some
> > interesting reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't terribly helpful.

> I think the terminology is important here. Swimmers should not be using
> skin diving fins for dolphin kick training because they are too long. It
> goes without saying that scuba fins are out too. Swimming fins are
> significantly shorter than skin diving fins, but they are longer than,
> for example, Zoomers, and other training fins.
>
> These are scuba and skin diving fins. Too long for dolphin kick training:
>
> http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,12942,
>
> These are swimming fins:
>
> http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,14072,
>
> There are other popular models, including Churchill, Duck Feet, etc.
>
> http://www.waveblasters.com/finschu...cs.com/shop/catalog/Inventory+Close-Outs+Spec...

I doubt that too many swimmers use scuba or diving fins. They are too
expensive and probably too big and bulky for pools. Plus they are
usually sold in specialty stores. Most swimmers that I've seen use
snorkeling fins that you can buy for about $15 to $30 at walmart, or a
sporting goods store. Others use the swimmers' fins that you buy at
specialty swim stores, such as zoomers.

What Pat was referring to, I think, were monofins. Monofins are used
along with or without snorkels for pool speed competitions. They are a
single fin with two slots for both feet. They make you look like a
mermaid. large monofins are also used deep diving competitions. were
divers don't have to maneuver, but rather swim straight down and
straight up on an elevator. Monofins are specialty fins for speed w/o
maneuverability. They are no good for scuba or freediving.

I would think that monofins could be good for teaching butterfly.
Monofins force a good body undulation. They essentially reproduce a
dolphin kick. Body undulation starting with the stomach is essential
in butterfly. If you ever look at deep diving competitions, those guys
have a incredible undulation, and that is the secret of good
butterfly.

Andres

[email protected] wrote:
> On Dec 4, 1:29 am, mwsmith <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>> "Pat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Monofins exist in a variety of sizes and shapes, although I can't say
>>> I've seen one I'd call round.
>>> I bought kid-sized long fins and donated them to my Y to use when
>>> teaching butterfly (and, of course, other swim teachers can use them as
>>> well). When I was taught fly as an adult, one of the first things my
>>> instructor did was have me get long fins - it magnifies everything about
>>> your dolphin kick in a good way.
>>> One problem the monofin fixes that regular long fins don't is preventing
>>> the legs from moving separately. If I had monofins, I think I'd use
>>> them to teach fly. I imagine a Google on "monofin" would find some
>>> interesting reading. I just tried - the Wiki isn't terribly helpful.

>> I think the terminology is important here. Swimmers should not be using
>> skin diving fins for dolphin kick training because they are too long. It
>> goes without saying that scuba fins are out too. Swimming fins are
>> significantly shorter than skin diving fins, but they are longer than,
>> for example, Zoomers, and other training fins.
>>
>> These are scuba and skin diving fins. Too long for dolphin kick training:
>>
>> http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,12942,
>>
>> These are swimming fins:
>>
>> http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,14072,
>>
>> There are other popular models, including Churchill, Duck Feet, etc.
>>
>> http://www.waveblasters.com/finschu...cs.com/shop/catalog/Inventory+Close-Outs+Spec...

> I doubt that too many swimmers use scuba or diving fins. They are too
> expensive and probably too big and bulky for pools. Plus they are
> usually sold in specialty stores. Most swimmers that I've seen use
> snorkeling fins that you can buy for about $15 to $30 at walmart, or a
> sporting goods store. Others use the swimmers' fins that you buy at
> specialty swim stores, such as zoomers.
>
> What Pat was referring to, I think, were monofins. Monofins are used
> along with or without snorkels for pool speed competitions. They are a
> single fin with two slots for both feet. They make you look like a
> mermaid. large monofins are also used deep diving competitions. were
> divers don't have to maneuver, but rather swim straight down and
> straight up on an elevator. Monofins are specialty fins for speed w/o
> maneuverability. They are no good for scuba or freediving.
>
> I would think that monofins could be good for teaching butterfly.
> Monofins force a good body undulation. They essentially reproduce a
> dolphin kick. Body undulation starting with the stomach is essential
> in butterfly. If you ever look at deep diving competitions, those guys
> have a incredible undulation, and that is the secret of good
> butterfly.

Monofins are fine, but they are for racing, mainly. Obviously, if you
intend to swim in a monofin race, you must do some training wearing a
monofin. And they would certainly be useful in training for doing
butterfly as well, but I would be careful using them that way. I'm not a
monofin racer, but I think the kick used in a monofin race is smaller
than the standard, butterfly dolphin kick done on the surface (monofin
races are underwater).

But Steve referred to "long fins." To me that means fins like at the
Scubapro website at http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,12942,

These are skindiving (snorkeling) and scubadiving fins, and they are too
long for use in training for the butterfly. I have seen people use them
for underwater hockey, and I think they are crazy to use them that way.

> [...]

> specialty swim stores, such as zoomers.
>
> What Pat was referring to, I think, were monofins. Monofins are used
> along with or without snorkels for pool speed competitions. They are a
> single fin with two slots for both feet. They make you look like a
> mermaid. large monofins are also used deep diving competitions. were
> divers don't have to maneuver, but rather swim straight down and
> straight up on an elevator. Monofins are specialty fins for speed w/o
> maneuverability. They are no good for scuba or freediving.
>
> I would think that monofins could be good for teaching butterfly.
> Monofins force a good body undulation. They essentially reproduce a
> dolphin kick. Body undulation starting with the stomach is essential
> in butterfly. If you ever look at deep diving competitions, those guys
> have a incredible undulation, and that is the secret of good

Regarding your last paragraph about body undulation, yes, I agree. One
thing I've heard said, but I confess I've never been able to get the
hang of it in my own butterfly swimming, is that good fly swimmer work
the kick in both directions, not just snapping the feet down. I imagine
I get some propulsion from coming back up but I know I don't have that
truly beautiful, dolphin-like undulation I've seen in the best fly
swimmer - it is a wonder to watch when someone gets it right.

And of course we are talking about swim fins, not scuba. I took a quick
look online, and the places I saw often label them as swim fins. I
couldn't find a scuba fin for sale at any swimming store.

The way I teach it is starting at the head and shoulders. I try to get
them to load up the posterior chain (back, hips, hamstrings) by getting
the chest down and the hips up. My running joke with them is that I'm
not happy if I don't see butts bobbing up and down in the water, and
getting their hips out of the water does seem to help. From that
"loaded" position, the idea I teach is to snap in a wave, starting with
chest up, moving through hips down and finally to feet down as almost an
afterthought to the hip motion. I'll have to say that getting people
who can't do fly to actually do it is probably the most satisfying part
of my swimming teaching since so many people come to the class thinking
they're never going to be able to do it.

-S-

Steve Freides wrote:

> And of course we are talking about swim fins, not scuba.

Then call them swimming fins, not long fins.

On Dec 4, 10:28 am, "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]

> look online, and the places I saw often label them as swim fins. I
> couldn't find a scuba fin for sale at any swimming store.
>
> The way I teach it is starting at the head and shoulders. I try to get
> them to load up the posterior chain (back, hips, hamstrings) by getting
> the chest down and the hips up. My running joke with them is that I'm
> not happy if I don't see butts bobbing up and down in the water, and
> getting their hips out of the water does seem to help. From that
> "loaded" position, the idea I teach is to snap in a wave, starting with
> chest up, moving through hips down and finally to feet down as almost an
> afterthought to the hip motion. I'll have to say that getting people
> who can't do fly to actually do it is probably the most satisfying part
> of my swimming teaching since so many people come to the class thinking
> they're never going to be able to do it.

I used to do fly the way you described. Then someone on this group
posted something about focusing on diving in. I started doing this.
The idea is that you dive into the water and try to tuck the head
between the arms. That seems to generate momentum for the torso to go
in and then bend back at the waist and aim up. I discovered that the
secret of fly is in the stomach and back, not in the arms and legs.

Someone posted a free diving website several months ago. They have
some videos of free divers. I am sure that they have them in you tube.
Check out the undulating motion.

Andres

> [...]

> look online, and the places I saw often label them as swim fins. I
> couldn't find a scuba fin for sale at any swimming store.
>
> The way I teach it is starting at the head and shoulders. I try to get
> them to load up the posterior chain (back, hips, hamstrings) by getting
> the chest down and the hips up. My running joke with them is that I'm
> not happy if I don't see butts bobbing up and down in the water, and
> getting their hips out of the water does seem to help. From that
> "loaded" position, the idea I teach is to snap in a wave, starting with
> chest up, moving through hips down and finally to feet down as almost an
> afterthought to the hip motion. I'll have to say that getting people
> who can't do fly to actually do it is probably the most satisfying part
> of my swimming teaching since so many people come to the class thinking
> they're never going to be able to do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ojj2XxyMo

Ok, check it out. This guy is a dolphin.

Andres

> [...]

>> who can't do fly to actually do it is probably the most satisfying
>> part
>> of my swimming teaching since so many people come to the class
>> thinking
>> they're never going to be able to do it.
>>
>> -S-

> I used to do fly the way you described. Then someone on this group
> posted something about focusing on diving in. I started doing this.
> The idea is that you dive into the water and try to tuck the head
> between the arms. That seems to generate momentum for the torso to go
> in and then bend back at the waist and aim up. I discovered that the
> secret of fly is in the stomach and back, not in the arms and legs.
>
> Someone posted a free diving website several months ago. They have
> some videos of free divers. I am sure that they have them in you tube.

Sounds good to me. It's something I do, too. My teacher suggested
thinking about jumping/diving over a barrel in front and that's what I
imagine, kind of diving over one barrel and then going under the next.
The only problem I've found with thinking of diving is that it can cause
one to get too "into" the up and down of the stroke and therefore reduce
forward progress for the same effort.

Thanks for the freediving link in your other post - he was a dolphin,
indeed.

-S-