Funky spoke patterns?

Hi All,

For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
durability isn't really an issue.

So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
admirer of Campy's G3?

Joseph

On Aug 21, 1:19 am, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> durability isn't really an issue.
>
> So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> admirer of Campy's G3?
>
> Joseph

I guess cool only when it's standing still..but 16 drive side spokes
laced 3 cross..8 non drive side laced radially. Leaving 8 holes in the
rim and hub unused.

On Aug 21, 6:07 am, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> I guess cool only when it's standing still..but 16 drive side spokes
> laced 3 cross..8 non drive side laced radially. Leaving 8 holes in the
> rim and hub unused.

That is the easiest way, and any rim will work with that method... but
if the rim is center drilled, you can use a 24h rim and use all the
holes. In any case lace it heads-in radial or 1x on the NDS to get the
best bracing angle.

On Aug 21, 2:07 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 1:19 am, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> > spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> > to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> > durability isn't really an issue.

> > So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> > admirer of Campy's G3?

> > Joseph

> I guess cool only when it's standing still..but 16 drive side spokes
> laced 3 cross..8 non drive side laced radially. Leaving 8 holes in the
> rim and hub unused.

I suppose then I could just put in the missing 8 if it seems too
strange.

Joseph

<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 1:19 am, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> > spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> > to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> > durability isn't really an issue.

> > So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> > admirer of Campy's G3?

> > Joseph

> I guess cool only when it's standing still..but 16 drive side spokes
> laced 3 cross..8 non drive side laced radially. Leaving 8 holes in the
> rim and hub unused.

Any reason not to lace the front radially using 2007 Mirage hubs?

Joseph

On Aug 21, 3:56 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 3:54 pm, landotter <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 21, 2:19 am, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > > pattern.

> > One that will teach them how to talk dirty and influence people?

> That is what the Santaniello family policy for compulsory excessive tv
> watching is for.

Thanks for reminding me! Mine's been off for two days, that can't be
good, time to absorb the colortinis as they fly through the air!

[email protected] wrote:
> For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> durability isn't really an issue.
> So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> admirer of Campy's G3?

If 'arty' is your goal, go ahead.
It won't be any 'better' than a 32h, 3x wheel with normal 14-16-14
bright stainless spokes which would be boringly durable.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Aug 21, 6:17 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> > spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> > to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> > durability isn't really an issue.
> > So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> > admirer of Campy's G3?

> If 'arty' is your goal, go ahead.
> It won't be any 'better' than a 32h, 3x wheel with normal 14-16-14
> bright stainless spokes which would be boringly durable.

Compromise with red nipples! (use the proper goop with those things so
they don't chemically bond)

On Aug 21, 3:09 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2:07 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com"
>

> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 21, 1:19 am, "[email protected]"

> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi All,

> > > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > > pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> > > spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> > > to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> > > durability isn't really an issue.

> > > So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> > > admirer of Campy's G3?

> > > Joseph

> > I guess cool only when it's standing still..but 16 drive side spokes
> > laced 3 cross..8 non drive side laced radially. Leaving 8 holes in the
> > rim and hub unused.

> Any reason not to lace the front radially using 2007 Mirage hubs?
>
> Joseph

No mas warranty and radial front does nuthin in terms of performance
of the wheel.

On Aug 20, 11:19 pm, "[email protected]"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> durability isn't really an issue.
>
> So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> admirer of Campy's G3?
>
> Joseph

Look around:
http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/

I'd probably build it two-leading/two trailing just for fun. It's not
as complicated as a crows-foot (one spoke length) and should be plenty
strong.

FWIW: I built a crows-foot 36-spoke wheel for myself. So far it's
fine, but I haven't ridden it enough to really tell. I'm three times
the size of the your kid (220 pounds) so you should be able to get
away with just about anything.

Jeff

On Aug 23, 12:50 am, JeffWills <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Aug 20, 11:19 pm, "[email protected]"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi All,

> > For my kids' road bike pattern I was thinking of trying a funny spoke
> > pattern. My kids saw a friend's Campy Vento wheels with the G3 type
> > spoke pattern and they thought it was super cool. The wheels I'm going
> > to build will have 32 spokes and the riders weigh less than 70 lbs so
> > durability isn't really an issue.

> > So any suggestions for trick spoke patterns that might appeal to an
> > admirer of Campy's G3?

> > Joseph

> Look around:http://www.terminalvelocity.demon.co.uk/WheelBuild/
>
> FWIW: I built a crows-foot 36-spoke wheel for myself. So far it's
> fine, but I haven't ridden it enough to really tell. I'm three times
> the size of the your kid (220 pounds) so you should be able to get
> away with just about anything.

I also have a crows foot on my rear. The wheel has taken its share of
abuse for a year now and its held up fine and not needed any re-
truing. Alex DM18s, Dimension hub, 2.0mm wheelsmith spokes, and I'm
150lbs.

The reason that I didn't do the same on my front wheel is because the
crow's foot doesn't look that much different than a 3x and is a pain
to true. Though there was some fun in figuring out how to true the
wheel.

I'd recommend the x-trailing/x-leading patterns.