Funny bikes for USAC District/Local TT's....Legal or not?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rob Benetton, Mar 12, 2004.

  1. Rob Benetton

    Rob Benetton Guest

    The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be UCI
    legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean time,can I use
    a bike with a smaller front wheel in the District TT and
    other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell me NO...but some
    officials have said there is currently no rule that would
    disallow a funny bike...until 2007.

    Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, Rob
    Benetton <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be
    > UCI legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean time,can
    > I use a bike with a smaller front wheel in the District TT
    > and other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell me NO...but
    > some officials have said there is currently no rule that
    > would disallow a funny bike...until 2007.
    >
    > Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.

    2004 USCF rule book section 1J starting on page 31 ending on
    page 33 will provide the answers to your question.

  3. On 12 Mar 2004 13:56:07 -0800, [email protected] (Rob Benetton)
    wrote:

    >The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be UCI
    >legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean time,can I use
    >a bike with a smaller front wheel in the District TT and
    >other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell me NO...but some
    >officials have said there is currently no rule that would
    >disallow a funny bike...until 2007.
    >
    >Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.

    Read the rule book and check your calendar.

    JT

  4. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    >The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be UCI
    >legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean time,can I use
    >a bike with a smaller front wheel in the District TT and
    >other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell me NO...but some
    >officials have said there is currently no rule that would
    >disallow a funny bike...until 2007.
    >
    >Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.

    YOu should have a copy of the rule book. Open it up and read
    it. Pretty simple stuff.
    -----------
    Alex

  5. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: Alex Rodriguez [email protected]

    can I use a bike with a
    >smaller front wheel in the District TT and other non-
    >UCI events?
    Yes you can. We just had this discussion at the officials
    clinic. Bill C

  6. Brian Roth

    Brian Roth Guest

    [email protected] (Rob Benetton) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be
    > UCI legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean time,can
    > I use a bike with a smaller front wheel in the District TT
    > and other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell me NO...but
    > some officials have said there is currently no rule that
    > would disallow a funny bike...until 2007.
    >
    > Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.

    What's the thought process behind this ruling? Arn't funny
    bikes pretty much antiques? Since 2000, who has made a funny
    bike frame avalible? Are they such an unfair advantage over
    a UVCI 2000 leagal bike that they have to specificly outlaw
    them? Funny bike riders unite!

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (brian roth) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Rob Benetton) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > The message from USA cycling is that "All bikes must be
    > > UCI legal by 2007".OK,Got that...but in the mean
    > > time,can I use a bike with a smaller front wheel in the
    > > District TT and other non-UCI events?Alot of people tell
    > > me NO...but some officials have said there is currently
    > > no rule that would disallow a funny bike...until 2007.
    > >
    > > Anyone have an educated opinion on this?Thanks.
    >

    > What's the thought process behind this ruling? Arn't funny
    > bikes pretty much antiques? Since 2000, who has made a
    > funny bike frame avalible? Are they such an unfair
    > advantage over a UVCI 2000 leagal bike that they have to
    > specificly outlaw them? Funny bike riders unite!

    Probably the thought process is that there's a bunch of funny-
    bike TT riders and crossover tri-geeks who will raise the
    roof if their expensive bikes are suddenly outlawed.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
    http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio