Funny how the jibber from the LA haters is slowing

scotty72

Jul 10, 2005
Funny how the jibber from the LA haters is slowing now the case is being seen more and more of a peice of French non-sense (did I repeat my-self).

Will they have the decency to say sorry?

scotty72 said:
Funny how the jibber from the LA haters is slowing now the case is being seen more and more of a peice of French non-sense (did I repeat my-self).

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you... ;)
Notice also how blobloblo and Turenne disappeared as quickly as the arrived?

How about this... there was a new thread posted up about it every five minutes. I think everyone just got tired of talking about it and since no action is being taken by the UCI except an independent investigation, who cares.
That pretty much means what everyone has been saying all along, they wont strip him of his titles and he's still a good cyclist. People were just thrown for a loop with all the talk of LA and doping allegations. But like the media. as soon as other more important issues arrised, the media realized they could either cover a guy who rides a bicycle, or the more deaths in iraq, the hurricanes, or even the white sox going to the world series for the first time since 1959.

Voila....still november will be a interesting month;)

StartTday said:
How about this... there was a new thread posted up about it every five minutes. I think everyone just got tired of talking about it and since no action is being taken by the UCI except an independent investigation, who cares.
That pretty much means what everyone has been saying all along, they wont strip him of his titles and he's still a good cyclist. People were just thrown for a loop with all the talk of LA and doping allegations. But like the media. as soon as other more important issues arrised, the media realized they could either cover a guy who rides a bicycle, or the more deaths in iraq, the hurricanes, or even the white sox going to the world series for the first time since 1959.

scotty72 said:

we all know that LA took banned drugs : he had to as part of his treatment for cancer , in any other circumstances they are very illegal as they can / will cause an unfair advantage so the question here should be
" did LA gain an unfair advantage from the extended drug regime "
I think the answer has to be probably as he was / is a much better cyclist after than before but that was all cosidered legal at the time and I personally think that it should remain so .
now as for the recent allegations it may be that too many people are ignoring the basic rule " if it´s in the press it´s probably not true " or Hillary Clinton´s " a lie is half way around the world before the truth has reached your lips "

was LA a sporting fraud ? if he was then it may be a long time before we find out , one way or the other - it´s only recently that the activities of Moser have come to light .

and don´t blame this on anti-americanism , that´s as dumb as saying arabs hate Bush because he´s a christian . LA seems to have gone out off his way to **** people off all over europe , dumb on his part but that´s his personallity - childhood insecurity over his birth and stepfather(s) or just a pain in the ass texan ? we´ll see .

The only thing LA is guilty of is hard work, dedication and willpower. Ully, basso, hincapie, etc. are sitting in their pajamas in the winter, Lance is already riding the Tour De France course.

He trains like no one else and it shows, its pretty pathetic how narrow minded people can be when it comes to this. You work hard and it shows, you sit around doing nothing and it shows its a simple fact. He has been known to climb Mt. Ventoux numerous times in one day, and with each successive attempt he tries to get faster and smarter.

The losers are just looking for an excuse, so they take the easy out rather than working hard. Afterall its easier to jump in the team car and ride to the top of the mountain saying 'I will do it later'.

1. Lance is the best rider of his generation. Full stop. Not debatable. And I do not even like the guy. :rolleyes:

2. IMHO, he did dope. The tests earlier this summer prove that. The fact that they released names is another thing. But then again, even if I doped, I doubt I would be dropping Ulrich or Basso. :rolleyes:

3. He has done his best to tick everyone off.

4. He has focussed exclusively on one race, the Tour, to the detriment of cycling in general. I, for one, ardently wished he would have come back next year and raced the Giro and the Vuelta and kicked behind. Then people like me (an Italian with an American wife) would not be able to grumble that he was a one race man. :mad:

5. Stop it with this Lance is a hard worker and no one else rides before mid-May blather. Other contenders (ok, except for Ulrich :p ) do work hard and train 13 months a year. But coming from European teams they cannot, for one reason or another (usually money and sponsors) simply plan their entire season on the TdF. OK, ok, the fact that no one really had a chance while Lance was there had something to do with it too!

6. I am thrilled he will not be at the Tour next year. It means that the race will be much more open, and that a number of contenders will also begin to race other things (it was great that Basso raced Giro and Tour!). I want more team captains racing two great tours a year! Every year!

7. The LA haters are slowing down because the grand tour season is gone, and chances are Lance is gone too. He can ride the Roses, fight cancer and all that, but chances are he will not ride another tour. And that is good for the sport.

Apologies for the long post. Now fire away. Please do note that I DO think that Lance is the best grand tour rider of this generation before you start!

About #5. His work ethic is pretty well known and it has been confimed in stories from other riders. Lance training in December while others are relaxing. Johan having to limit how many workouts other team members do with lance because he was riding them into the ground, etc. He also has experienced more pain and suffering then any cyclist will ever have in his life unless he gets cancer, that makes a huge difference as to what level you can train at.

House said:
He also has experienced more pain and suffering then any cyclist will ever have in his life unless he gets cancer, that makes a huge difference as to what level you can train at.
Tom Timpson?

:D

House said:
About #5. His work ethic is pretty well known and it has been confimed in stories from other riders. Lance training in December while others are relaxing. Johan having to limit how many workouts other team members do with lance because he was riding them into the ground, etc. He also has experienced more pain and suffering then any cyclist will ever have in his life unless he gets cancer, that makes a huge difference as to what level you can train at.
Fair enough, but a lot of the other guys are riding through the Giro di Lombardia in October, as opposed to peaking for the Tour and then ending their season. I believe that once he has raced a few post Tour crits for $$$$ Lance probably does take a few days off, in August - September.

So of course he is riding harder than the rest of the boys in December. And maybe he is riding the Disco boys in the ground at year end, but given how he shoots out the back at the Classics in April, I doubt he is riding any harder over the winter than a van Petegem, Boonen, or Bettini!

Sure he works hard, but they all do!

Yep, all professional riders work and train very very hard.
To be a professional not only do you need to have great inate ability, you need to be dedicated and you need to be able to tolerate stress and pain.

For one rider to claim (falsely) that he trains harder than all others is not only a lie, it is condescending to his fellow professionals.

Cycle Sport last year did a feature on what the riders would do on Christmas Day.
Erik Dekker for one said that he always does a minimum three hour cycle on
25th December.
The rest of the riders interviewed spoke about getting out on their bikes as well.

Others like DiLuca spoke about not eating any sweets/desserts, even on Christmas Day.

I can honestly claim that I train harder than everyone else in my office. Of course, none of them ride (or do much of anything else), but that's beside the point. :p

el Inglés said:
or Hillary Clinton´s " a lie is half way around the world before the truth has reached your lips "
Actually, I think the original version of that was "A lie can travel half-way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." by Mark Twain.

It's a fair point no matter who it's attributed to though.

cydewaze said:
I can honestly claim that I train harder than everyone else in my office. Of course, none of them ride (or do much of anything else), but that's beside the point. :p
Careful! According to limerickman, you're being condescending to your fellow professionals... ;)

el Inglés said:
<snip> and don´t blame this on anti-americanism , that´s as dumb as saying arabs hate Bush because he´s a christian . .

Whoot!? Bush is a Christian?! I'd heard rumours he was the anti-christ ;)

Ash (who well and truly derailed this thread)