Funny thing happened on the way to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric Babula

Got stopped by another motorist today, on the way to work! (See my last thread: "I'm back! Lighting
questions!", dated 08 Apr 2003.)

Today, I stopped at a red light (yes, I do that, even at 5:00am!), and a guy pulled up next to me in
his car. He rolled down his window and yelled, "I can see you from a mile away, with all those
lights!" (No, I didn't add any more lights to my bike.) I thanked him - gotta love when you get
feedback from the motorists, especially when it's positive! He said, "No, thank you! Most people
don't have anything, and I can't see them until I'm right on top of them." Then, the light turned
green and he went on his way.

So, apparently, the lighting and reflective tape I have on the rear of my bike and helmet is plenty
good enough. But, it seems that the front needs to be a little better lit. It scares me that the
woman (from the previous post) had a hard time telling what I was, or how far away I was, or my
speed, especially since she's a bicyclist and would be more aware of other bicyclists out there.
Joe-Blow on the street might not even see me at all!

So, I have decided that I AM going to get those Mini-Lights, and mount them on the front forks of my
bike. Maybe add some more reflective tape to the front and sides, too! Can't be too safe!

What are the odds that two motorists would stop and talk to me about my lighting, in a one-week
period?? I've never had that before! I think it's great, and hope I get more wonderful constructive
criticism like this, from passers-by!

Anyway, thanks for all your input on my other thread!

Happy riding!

--
Smile!!

__O _-\ <,_ Eric Babula (_) / (_) Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

"Eric Babula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>

> So, I have decided that I AM going to get those Mini-Lights, and mount them on the front forks of
> my bike. Maybe add some more reflective tape to the front and sides, too! Can't be too safe!

Eric,

It may be a waste of time and money. People have trouble estimating speed and distance at night
anyway, whether you have one, two or a hundred lights. I think the only way you can really improve
the situation is to mount two lights on something that keeps them about the same distance apart as a
car's headlights. That is what they are used to seeing and what they are used to estimating speed
and distance from. If that isn't a good solution, then stick with one bright light and call it good.

-Buck

Eric Babula wrote:

When I put a Sigma Mirage system on my bike, cars started treating me like a motorcycle. They would
stop and let me through in a way I'd never experienced before.

Only downside is the battery only lasts 45 minutes if you run both lights 5+20W. That gets me home
in style though so I do.

--
Perre

Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

In article <[email protected]>,
Eric Babula <[email protected]> writes:
> Got stopped by another motorist today, on the way to work! (See my last thread: "I'm back!
> Lighting questions!", dated 08 Apr 2003.)
>
> Today, I stopped at a red light (yes, I do that, even at 5:00am!), and a guy pulled up next to me
> in his car. He rolled down his window and yelled, "I can see you from a mile away, with all those
> lights!" (No, I didn't add any more lights to my bike.)

Two good lights are plenty. Front & rear. Well, maybe a couple of lights at the rear.

In the previous thread, some posters mentioned reflective vests, and I'd just like to re-emphasize
their point here. Reflective vests are great! When illuminated, they make a very *large* (reflected)
light source that's hard for observers to miss.

Brightness is only one consideration in re: bicycle illumination. Maybe /size/ of the light source
is another, oft-neglected one.

I think one good, more expensive blinkie is better than a fistful of cheapie ones that don't have
decent reflectors in 'em ... if they have reflectors at all. Besides, the lenses on the cheap-Os
tend to fall off, unless you scotch-tape them. Then ya gotta buy another stinkin' blinkie to
replace it.

And anything powered by wimpy AAA cells, truly sux in fog.

Anyhow, I'm glad you had a good experience with the motorist feedback you got this time. You're
doin' good.

cheers, Tom

--