funny things to do on a bike

David Kerber wrote:

>>David are you saying that an earlier eruption of Krakatoa caused the
>>"Little Ice Age"? Can you post a reference? I thought it was just a
>>ripple in a larger wave - the slow ending of the last real ice age.
>>

>It wasn't me who said that; look at the indenting level, it was two
>levels of posts before mine.

Right you are. Sorry bout that. I see Frank wasn't quite saying that
either. Volcanoes have caused dark years at times.
Bernie

In article <[email protected]>, bmcilvan@mouse-
potato.com says...

> David Kerber wrote:
>

> >>David are you saying that an earlier eruption of Krakatoa caused the
> >>"Little Ice Age"? Can you post a reference? I thought it was just a
> >>ripple in a larger wave - the slow ending of the last real ice age.
> >>

> >It wasn't me who said that; look at the indenting level, it was two
> >levels of posts before mine.
> >

> Right you are. Sorry bout that. I see Frank wasn't quite saying that
> either. Volcanoes have caused dark years at times.

That is certainly true, but I don't know if the "mini ice age" was
connected to one or not. There was a time in the early 1800's which was
called "the year without a summer" in New England, which IIRC was caused
by the eruption of Tambora.

newsgroups if possible).

Hunrobe wrote:

>>Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> wrote:
>
>>Isn't Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia frequently listed as one of
>>the world's worst dictators?

> ---snip---
>
> I don't want to live in that country because I value my freedom to dissent but
> "one of the world's worst dictators" is hyperbole. How many Saudis has he
> murdered? IIRC, Saddam had broken into the six figure range quite easily.
>

>>Did we attack the wrong country??

> See above.

Well, since the current rationalization for our $100 billion adventure
is that Saddam was evil, somebody needs to explain how we decide exactly
which evil dictators are evil enough to justify invasion.

Apparently, not everyone on the "evil dictator" list qualifies. And not
every terribly repressive country gets invaded.

Some of the repressive countries just serve as sources for inexpensive
bike frames. Others serve as sources for oil. Others, with no major
resources to sell us, go completely unnoticed.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> >> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
> >>
> >> A really long post my reader didn't download (I have a limit of 300
> >> lines - any post longer than that is wasting bandwidth).

> >Arguing with you is wasting bandwidth, on that we *both* agree.

> Great. I typed a 1200 line reply, but already deleted it. ;-)

If you were interested in using logic or data to bolster your claims,
you'd go look it up.

As long as your lips are surgically attached to Shrub's anus, you'll
never be able to see or speak truth.

HAND,
--
R.F. Jones "I get all my news from the Limbaugh Institute of
Conservative Studies!"

Frank Krygowski <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Mark Hickey wrote:
>
> > [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
> >
> > A really long post my reader didn't download (I have a limit of 300
> > lines - any post longer than that is wasting bandwidth).
> >
> > It's obvious you want to argue just to get in typing practice.
> >
> > Carry on, but without me, please.

> You know, Mark, I was thinking that Jonesy gave some very instructive
> information in there. Although I know most of what's in
> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/
> I think it's an excellent source, and I think he used it effectively to
> illustrate where your thinking has gone wrong in several ways.
>
> Perhaps you should go to Google groups, or some other source, to
> overcome your newsreader's limitations, so you can learn from that post.

The worst part is that if I had not actually quoted the contents, the
post would have fit in under Mark's "limit." If the "limit" actually
exists.

But links sometimes don't get read...
--
Jonesy

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:

> >> Here's a clue... global warming doesn't exist. There's been a net
> >> cooling trend for decades, and the effect of the Kyoto accord would be
> >> at best a small fraction of 1 degree centigrade over the next century
> >> (at a truly horrendous cost to the US economy). But let's not go over
> >> that well-plowed land again....

> >No climatologists believe the above except those on the payrolls (or
> >funded by) the hydrocarbon extraction industry. The consensus is that
> >global warming is taking place, but the US corporate media pays undue
> >attention to the few climatoligists that disagree. Even that hotbed of
> >left-wing radicals, the US Department of Defense now believes that
> >global warming is a significant threat to US security.

> You need to do some more reading on the subject.

Good advice. You should take it. Include in your research real,
peer-reviewed studies, not some quote from the Rush Limbaugh website.

> The best data on the
> subject shows that there has been a net cooling trend - not a warming
> trend.

Tell that to the permafrost, glaciers and polar ice caps. They will
be quite relieved to hear that all this time they have been growing,
instead of shrinking, in size.

> Those pushing the global warming agenda tend to be those who are
> raking in lots of research dollars doing it.

Ad hominem commentary means that your argument is lost:

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/circumstantial-ad-hominem.html

> There are petitions
> signed by tens of thousands of scientists who believe the science and
> methods used to come to the conclusion that global warming is
> happening are flawed.

"Scientists" is nebulous term. Climatologists?

> But don't take my word for it - look up the NOAA data on temperature
> trends.

What about the data on shrinking glaciers and ice caps? Maybe physics
are different in Right-Wing-Land?
--
Jonesy

wrote:

>Well, since the current rationalization for our $100 billion adventure
>is that Saddam was evil, somebody needs to explain how we decide exactly
>which evil dictators are evil enough to justify invasion.
>
>Apparently, not everyone on the "evil dictator" list qualifies. And not
>every terribly repressive country gets invaded.
>
>Some of the repressive countries just serve as sources for inexpensive
>bike frames. Others serve as sources for oil. Others, with no major
>resources to sell us, go completely unnoticed.

Leaving aside your unsupported hyperbole describing the Saudi Crown Prince as
"one of the world's worst dictators" (censorship of dissent by government is a
bad thing but it scarcely compares to genocide and murder of dissidents), it
seems to me that you've answered your own question.
Absent truly evil acts like genocide, we haven't the right to interfere with
other nations' internal affairs through military force *unless* those nations'
activities pose a threat to our own nation's security either militarily or
economically. As you well know the decision to use or not use military force in
either type of offending nation- truly evil regimes or those that pose a threat
to us- is now and has always been a matter of weighing the possible
consequences of such action or inaction. To pretend otherwise doesn't make one
morally superior. On the contrary, it casts doubt on one's sincerity, honesty,
or intelligence. I don't doubt your intelligence but your overly-simplistic
request for a 'formula' for those decisions certainly leads me to question your
sincerity. The world isn't black and white and you darn well know that.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> But it's interesting you don't find the biggest air pollution
> reduction act in over a decade significant. Go figure.

I suppose trying to reverse Clinton's declaration of National Monument
status for Escalante (mining interests want coal there) and
overturning national forest roadless rules somehow count as
environmentalism?

Go figure.
--
Jonesy

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey wrote:

> >> Right... (what's your point?). The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts mean there
> >> are 4 million more people who pay no taxes at all....

> >Really? So these people pay no sales, payroll, property (directly or
> >indirectly through rent payments), excise and other taxes? News to me.

> You KNOW I meant "federal income taxes".

Those are not the only federal taxes folks pay.

> >In many cases tax cuts at the Federal level merely shift the tax burden
> >from progressive income taxes to more regressive state and local taxes,
> >as the state and local governments compensate for the reduction in
> >federal funding. A portion of the overall tax burden is shifted from the
> >rich to the middle and lower classes.

> Do you have any stats on that? In states I've lived in the state
> taxes aren't more regressive (or they're non-existent).

Sales taxes are thought to be regressive. I'm not sure about that -
they seem pretty fair to me. But they certainly are not progressive.
One might say that since they are not as progressive, they are more
regressive, but that's just pedantic word-play, and we don't want
that, now do we?

> But your argument is setting up a hopeless Catch-22. Cut taxes and
> you're hurting the poor because they get taxed even more at the local
> level? I don't buy that for a second

If local property, sales and excise taxes are raised, then yes, indeed
you're passing the burden down the economic ladder.

> the more local the collection
> and disbursement of public funds remains, the more effective and
> efficient it is.

A claim without a shred of proof. Local corruption can be widespread,
but federal-level corruption is much more isolated and rare.

> I don't really want the federal government taking over more and more
> of the responsibility and control that should lie with the state and
> local governments. It's just not an efficient way to do things, IMHO.

Efficient and equitable might not be the same thing. It would be much
more efficient to have a national sales tax on everything. And that
certainly would be equitable - maybe. But the places with the
highests costs would be paying more (if the sales tax were a
percentage) and the places with lowest costs would pay less. Which
might not be equitable. In addition, it would stimulate conservation,
which wouldn't be good in a consumer-based economy.

But I take from your comment above that you are opposed to No Child
Left Behind?
--
Jonesy

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

> >It's a farce. It is severely underfunded because it does not do the
> >fundamental thing that is needed to improve our public schools:
> >provide money for teaching, as opposed to providing some (but not
> >enough, even) money for testing students. You want the students to
> >pass the tests, you gotta pay for the facilities and teachers they
> >need to learn. (Or you could just cheat, like they do in Texas.)

> Or, you could just throw more money at the failing public schools and
> expect them to get better.

Like national security or intelligence?

> They won't - it's clear there's little
> correlation between money spent and results. Washington DC has the
> highest spending per student and the worst results.

Why? Does correlation imply causation?

> Until the schools are held accountable to some measurable standard,
> it's NOT going to get better. I wish there was another alternative
> (one that would work, that is). Throwing money at the problem
> certainly won't fix it.

Like national security or intelligence?

> >> I think we covered that pretty well. It was a broad based tax cut -
> >> top to bottom... what portion of the US taxpayers did it miss (other
> >> than - obviously - the large number who already didn't pay US federal
> >> income tax).

> >The large number who don't pay federal income tax nevertheless pay
> >Medicare and Social Security payroll tax. Their tax revenues are being
> >used to cover part of the deficit created by the Bush taxcuts. In
> >other words, those payroll taxes are being used as general tax revenue
> >by the government. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a taxcut as well?

> Because the two programs are funded in expectation of receiving an
> eventual return.

Except that's not the way they actually run, as if that actually
mattered.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem-tu-quoque.html

> >> How else are they going to get $750 ahead via the tax cut?

> >Give them a refund on their Social Security Tax.

> Do we cut their benefit as well then?

What does one thing have to do with another? As long as there is no
account in which the money is saved, it's just another income tax,
named something else. We all get SOME return out of all of our tax
dollars. Roads, military, etc. As long as it all goes into one pot,
one tax cut should look like another, right?

> >> What's your point? The bottom 50% of taxpayers pay only around 4% of
> >> the total US federal income taxes. How much less can they pay?

> >They pay a lot more than 4% federal income taxes. Just because you
> >refuse to admit that Social Security and Medicare taxes are income
> >taxes does not mean that they are not. Social Security and Medicare
> >taxes ARE federal income taxes.

> They are programs that return value directly to the investors - just
> like any other insurance policies / annuities.

I would consider good roads a direct return on my gas tax dollar as
well. Just because you wish to define SS/MC as something different
does not mean they actually are. They are federal programs funded by
taxes on income. The fact that they return fungible assets at some
later time doesn't make them substantially different from oh,
education spending.

> Are you suggesting
> that we should rework the system so that some pay in a lot more than
> others for the same benefits?

How about those making over ~$80k pay percentage just like those
under?

> >But I'm not even saying that they should pay less; I'm saying that the
> >top 2% should pay more. Those people making a quarter of a million a
> >year under the old tax rates were actually living pretty comfortably.
> >I think they'll survive. Probably won't even have to cut back on their
> >maid service.

> What entitles you to demand that they subsidize your tax bill? Just
> curious. I personally think that ~28% is more than enough for anyone
> to pay.

The same right that gives them the idea that somehow they are "owed"
something just because they already have more. If my kids and
grandkid have to pay off the debt incurred because these folks got
their guys into power, then I (and my descendents) are indeed
subsidizing their tax bills.

> >> Those were the days all right - but they were being artificially
> >> bolstered by the dot-com bubble.

> >There was not a significant bubble in 96.

It's always odd that somehow Clinton never did anything right, and
that somehow when something happened right, it was just dumb luck or
circumstance that cause the goodness. Nevermind that he disproved the
supply-side economic theory...

--
Jonesy

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (JP) wrote:
> >What act are you talking about? The rules you referenced were released
> >as required under the existing Clean Air Act. Nothing new there,
> >except for the rules that the Sierra Club forced the Bush
> >administration to revise.

> Sure if you consider the portion of the Clean Air Act that the Clinton
> administration slipped in AFTER Bush was elected, but before he
> actually took office. Clinton did nothing to actually improve air
> quality. Bush reworked the act to make it both evironmentally AND
> economically viable, and turned it into law. Like it or not, it's the
> biggest improvement in over a decade (spin it as you will).

You really don't know what you're talking about. You don't seem to be
able to differentiate between the Clean Air Act and EPA rule-making,
statute and regulation. Such confusion is practically a requirement
for you to twist history in this way.

Yes, as a lame duck, the Clinton Administration did try to implement
some EPA rules which Bush promptly rolled back. I believe this
included the arsenic drinking water regulations. Contrary to the
implication in your tangled statement above, these were not rushed.
They had been studied for years and the rules were made final as a
last bit of business for the outgoing administration. There was
nothing wrong with Clinton finalizing rules for issues that had been
carefully studied. What was stupid was for Bush to rescind them
arbitrarily simply because they were created by Clinton and were at
odds with some of the Bush corporate backers.

> >For God's sake, that maybe the US Senate is not the last word on
> >whether Kyoto "is a really, really bad idea".

> The whole premise of the Kyoto accord is to reduce carbon dioxide in
> the atmosphere. As written, a HUGE portion of the cost for doing this
> falls to the US - a crippling amount, actually.

Probably because a HUGE portion of greenhouse gasses are emited by the
US, way out of proportion to its population.

> We went over (and over and over) this subject recently. In the end,
> carbon dioxide in the atmoshere - if the worst-case scenario is played
> out - will result in warming totalling a whopping 0.2 degrees C in the
> next century. The computer models used to justify Kyoto predict HUGE
> increases in temperature over the last 25 years - increases that
> simply didn't happen.

This is just plain nonsense. The computer models are being refined
daily to take into account the latest observations and better
understanding of the variables involved. As the models get more
sophisticated, the situation looks worse.

> You might wanna check with the folks at NASA to see what the real
> "warming trends" look like...
>
> http://www.ghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/MSU/msusci.html
> http://science.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/notebook/essd13aug98_1.htm

Which should I consider NASA to be an independent source? Under the
Bush administration there have been numerous instances of government
agencies removing web sites that contained information at odds with
the official right-wing party line on the environment.

> >See Paul Krugman ins today's NYT:
> >
> >http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/25/opinion/25KRUG.html

> Can't - it requires a subscription. Besides, the NYT isn't the most
> reliable, unbiased source of news on the planet (akin to me posting a
> link to something on Rush's blog). ;-)

A. It only requires registration, not subscription.

B. You should register just to read their apology for their
misrepresentation of the intelligence on WMD before the war. You would
be hard put to provide any proof that the NYT actually has any of the
liberal bias that the right wing so loves to attribute to it. If you
want liberal bias in a daily newspaper, you pretty much have to go to
the UK Guardian or Independent.

C. Paul Krugman is without a doubt a progressive economist. He is also
without a doubt widely respected in his field, with a PhD from MIT in
Economics, holding an endowed chair at Princeton, and the recipient of
an important economics prize. You'd better have your ducks in a row if
you're going to try to make an argument counter to his (or talk
really, really loud).

> >> I posted figures - investment increased dramatically following the tax
> >> cuts.

> >What figures? From where?

> This isn't the link I used, but it has reams of information on the
> increasae in investment...
>
> http://www.house.gov/jec/fiscal/tx-grwth/gwartney/optimal/optimal.htm

Hardly a definitive document. It was issued by a Republican-controlled
Congressional Committee to support a decrease in the capital gains
tax. I am not qualified to critique it, but it is not exactly a
peer-reviewed article from a major journal of economics. Furthermore,
it is discussing the relationship between the capital gains tax
specifically and economic growth. It has almost nothing to do with the
question we were discussing, whether investment increased enough after
the Bush taxcuts to stimulate the economy significantly. The document
you reference dates to 1997, so it obviously does NOT show that
"investment increased dramatically following the (Bush) tax cuts".

> >I already did. It takes into account the 900k gained since last
> >August. Again, see Krugman.

> Lessee... 2 million minus 900 thousand equals 2 million. Is Krugman
> the guy in charge of their subscription statistics? ;-)

No, it is more like about 3 million jobs lost minus 900 thousand
(crappy) jobs gained back.

> Or, you could just throw more money at the failing public schools and
> expect them to get better. They won't - it's clear there's little
> correlation between money spent and results.

Show your evidence. I think that if you made an effort to correlate an
INCREASE in spending to results you would find there is quite a strong
positive correlation.

> Washington DC has the
> highest spending per student and the worst results.

This isn't evidence, it's what a statistician would call an anecdote.
But besides that, to test your thesis, that "there's little
correlation between money spent and results", we would have to try
spending (statistically significant) more money in the DC public
schools to see whether kids' performance improves. The fact that there
is a lot of money spent there now does not prove that it could not be
helped by more money. (My daughter goes to a top private school in the
DC suburbs, and believe me, we pay a lot more than DC spends per
student- I wonder what results DC would get if it spent the same
amount per student.)

> Until the schools are held accountable to some measurable standard,
> it's NOT going to get better. I wish there was another alternative
> (one that would work, that is). Throwing money at the problem
> certainly won't fix it.

No one has ever actually tried spending more money on schools to fix
them. What has happened over the last 25 years or so is that the
property tax revolt begun in California has pretty much spread
everywhere and reduced the spending (adjusted for inflation) per
student. Of course, some places have always been poor and have always
had crappy schools.

> >The large number who don't pay federal income tax nevertheless pay
> >Medicare and Social Security payroll tax. Their tax revenues are being
> >used to cover part of the deficit created by the Bush taxcuts. In
> >other words, those payroll taxes are being used as general tax revenue
> >by the government. Why shouldn't they be entitled to a taxcut as well?

> Because the two programs are funded in expectation of receiving an
> eventual return.

Then why is George Bush talking about cutting that return? Answer:
because the money is being spent as general revenue to cover deficit
spending, and the government will be unable to repay the Trust Fund
without a major tax increase if they do not eventually significantly
reduce the benefits.

> What happens to the premiums is an entirely
> different issue - you won't get a refund on your car insurance if part
> of the premiums are spent on something other than paying out accident
> claims, for example.

Where do you come up with this stuff? It sounds good on the surface
but it is completely delusional. Are you being deluded or are you
trying to delude us?

That is a completely false analogy. The money we pay in Social
Security taxes is earmarked SOLELY for Social Security. When it is
used to cover the deficit, the US Treasury loans money from the Trust
Fund to a general revenue account; the Trust Fund receives Tresury
Bonds in return.

In the real world, when someone borrows money from an institution with
no intention of repaying it, it is called fraud. A better analogy
would be if I invested my money in a stock, let's call it Enron, and
the management of Enron sucked all the value out of the company
leaving me with nothing but worthless paper stock certificates.

> >O'Neill did not write a book, he gave extensive interview; and he was
> >already incredibly wealthy. It strains credulity to suggest that he
> >criticized the policy-making process in the Bush White House for the
> >money.

> Money, power, fame - whatever.

What power, what fame? He didn't get power, he was already famous.

> Clarke is obviously a liar, based on nothing more than his own
> statements.

Give an example of where he lied.

> >Give them a refund on their Social Security Tax.

> Do we cut their benefit as well then?

They are already paying enough to receive the current Social Security
benefit and more. What we are doing already is talking about cutting
the Social Security benefit so that the wealthy can get income tax
cuts. Why not a Social Security taxcut, then?

> >They pay a lot more than 4% federal income taxes. Just because you
> >refuse to admit that Social Security and Medicare taxes are income
> >taxes does not mean that they are not. Social Security and Medicare
> >taxes ARE federal income taxes.

> They are programs that return value directly to the investors - just
> like any other insurance policies / annuities. Are you suggesting
> that we should rework the system so that some pay in a lot more than
> others for the same benefits?

No. I am suggesting that we should rework the US tax structure so that
we do not have to rob the Social Security and Medicare Trust Funds to
pay for taxcuts to the very wealthy.

> >But I'm not even saying that they should pay less; I'm saying that the
> >top 2% should pay more. Those people making a quarter of a million a
> >year under the old tax rates were actually living pretty comfortably.
> >I think they'll survive. Probably won't even have to cut back on their
> >maid service.

> What entitles you to demand that they subsidize your tax bill? Just
> curious. I personally think that ~28% is more than enough for anyone
> to pay.

I don't think they are subsidizing my tax bill or should. I think
their affluence benefits in a manner that is all out of proportion to
their relatively low tax rates.

> I don't see a direct connection - the jobs we're sending overseas tend
> to be those Americans don't really want to do.

That is a distortion. The jobs we are sending overseas are jobs that
we don't want to do for the wages that they are paying to the workers
in the Third World. No, the fact is that they are taking jobs that
paid a "living wage" in the US and offshoring them to people for wages
that would not even be legal if they paid them here. It goes right
back to what I said- it extrapolates to an averaged standard of living
between the US and the Third World.

> Yes, there are
> exceptions - some of which are getting a LOT of visibility (especially
> in the computer industry). But no matter what we do, the global
> economy will continue to change and adapt - the move will be away from
> the manufacturing sector to the service sector.

The manufacturing sector will grow as long as the worldwide standard
of living increases.

> We could impose
> artificial limits on sending production overseas, but that would only
> mean that our ability to remain competitive would dwindle.

Not at all.

> I guess I'm a believer that the economy will always adjust to the
> situation at hand.

It will but a lot of people will be unhappey with the adjustments.

> Permit me to suggest that it's just "what you've been told". There
> are certainly localized issues, but overall I don't see anything
> worthy of the word "crisis" going on.

It has nothing to do with what we've been told and everything to do
with the reality of the job market.

> I would hardly try to extrapolate a single anecdotal data point into a
> nationwide trend, personally.

It was an illustration of a point, not an extrapolation.

> Besides, they are using me for

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

>> You need to do some more reading on the subject.

>Good advice. You should take it. Include in your research real,
>peer-reviewed studies, not some quote from the Rush Limbaugh website.

I never realized that Rush ran NASA. When did that happen?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

>> Are you suggesting
>> that we should rework the system so that some pay in a lot more than
>> others for the same benefits?

>How about those making over ~$80k pay percentage just like those
>under?

Whoo hoo! Sign me up for THAT one.

In case you're wondering, here are the average actual percentages of
adjusted gross income paid by the various income groups... (for 2001):

Top 1% (above 292K) - 27.5%
Top 5% (above 128K) - 23.7%
Top 10% (above 93K) - 21.4%
Top 25% (above 56K) - 18.1%
Top 50% (above 28.5K) - 15.9%
Bottom 50% (below 28.5K) - 4.1%

That's not the gross rate - that's the average percentage of the
income that those paying it never got back.

I don't think you're going to have any trouble convincing the top 10%
to pay "just like those under".

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

>Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>> But it's interesting you don't find the biggest air pollution
>> reduction act in over a decade significant. Go figure.

>I suppose trying to reverse Clinton's declaration of National Monument
>status for Escalante (mining interests want coal there) and
>overturning national forest roadless rules somehow count as
>environmentalism?
>
>Go figure.

You should come on out to Arizona to find out how much we all like
liberal northeast environmentalists out here, and what their
"environMENTAL" actions have done to HUGE areas of the forest (now
resembling the surface of the moon). With a few forest roads, some
intelligent thinning of trees we wouldn't lose entire ecosystems every
summer.

This summer is going to be the worst ever from the looks of it.

But rather than allowing the loggers to (gasp) make a buck (because
the government can't afford to cut down the trees), the
environmentalists would rather lose the entire forest.

Go figure indeed.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:

>As long as your lips are surgically attached to Shrub's anus, you'll
>never be able to see or speak truth.

See, all that research on ad hominem attacks has done you some good.
You're getting better at them.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

David Kerber wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, bmcilvan@mouse-
>potato.com says...

>>>It wasn't me who said that; look at the indenting level, it was two
>>>levels of posts before mine.
>>>

>>Right you are. Sorry bout that. I see Frank wasn't quite saying that
>>either. Volcanoes have caused dark years at times.
>>

>That is certainly true, but I don't know if the "mini ice age" was
>connected to one or not. There was a time in the early 1800's which was
>called "the year without a summer" in New England, which IIRC was caused
>by the eruption of Tambora.

Ya, those "black summers" were caused by big volcanic events, the Little
Ice Age otoh was a 400+ year event starting in the 14th century. It
drove the Norsemen out of Greenland. They had "modern" cities there at
the time, grew grain, erected cathedrals, etc. It appears to be a
ripple in a much bigger wave: near the end of a great ice age, then the
Little Ice Age cooled the northern climate for a few centuries.
Global warming? Maybe, maybe we are just getting back in sync with that
very long warming trend that began with the end of the last great ice age.
Bernie

Hunrobe wrote:

>>Frank Krygowski [email protected]

> wrote:
>

>>Well, since the current rationalization for our $100 billion adventure
>>is that Saddam was evil, somebody needs to explain how we decide exactly
>>which evil dictators are evil enough to justify invasion.
>>
>>Apparently, not everyone on the "evil dictator" list qualifies. And not
>>every terribly repressive country gets invaded.
>>
>>Some of the repressive countries just serve as sources for inexpensive
>>bike frames. Others serve as sources for oil. Others, with no major
>>resources to sell us, go completely unnoticed.

> Leaving aside your unsupported hyperbole describing the Saudi Crown Prince as
> "one of the world's worst dictators"...

Try googling dictators, or worst dictators, or similar topics. His name
will come up. I've seen it in several such lists.

> Absent truly evil acts like genocide, we haven't the right to interfere with
> other nations' internal affairs through military force...

Sorry for interrupting, but you know as well as I that genocide has NOT
been a criterion. We've ignored genocide quite nicely. And if you ask
most Native Americans, they'd say we did worse than ignore it.

> ... *unless* those nations'
> activities pose a threat to our own nation's security either militarily or
> economically.

I'd hope you'd want to rephrase that. Because, as it reads, if Saudi
Arabia decided they wouldn't sell us any more oil (yes, far fetched),
that would pose a threat to our nation's security "economically." Your
statement would justify an invasion in that case. Surely you don't mean
that.

Also, from what I understand, it was a similar action on our part -
cutting off oil, hurting Japan's security both militarily and
economically - that triggered the Pearl Harbor attack. Most people in
America think that attack was not justified.

> As you well know the decision to use or not use military force in
> either type of offending nation- truly evil regimes or those that pose a threat
> to us- is now and has always been a matter of weighing the possible
> consequences of such action or inaction.

Or rather, the consequences of one action versus another.

Which brings us back to the fact that damned near the entire world
thought that applying just enough pressure on Iraq to continue UN
inspections was a suitable action. Damned near the entire world thought
at the time that it was a better action than the one we performed,
considering the possible consequences.

And even more of the world thinks so now.

> I don't doubt your intelligence but your overly-simplistic
> request for a 'formula' for those decisions certainly leads me to question your
> sincerity.

And I don't doubt your intelligence, which is why I'm sure you
recognized that as a rhetorical device.

> The world isn't black and white and you darn well know that.

The guy who said "You're either with us or against us" (I think that's a
direct quote) doesn't seem to think so. Perhaps you should write him a
letter. If he could learn to perceive shades of grey, he might be
better at his job.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

> [email protected] (Jonesy) wrote:
>
> >Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...

> >> But it's interesting you don't find the biggest air pollution
> >> reduction act in over a decade significant. Go figure.

> >I suppose trying to reverse Clinton's declaration of National Monument
> >status for Escalante (mining interests want coal there) and
> >overturning national forest roadless rules somehow count as
> >environmentalism?
> >
> >Go figure.

> You should come on out to Arizona to find out how much we all like
> liberal northeast environmentalists out here, and what their
> "environMENTAL" actions have done to HUGE areas of the forest (now
> resembling the surface of the moon). With a few forest roads, some
> intelligent thinning of trees we wouldn't lose entire ecosystems every
> summer.

I don't know what environMENTALists are but environmentalists would have let
the fires burn long before the forests got to be tinderboxes and let nature
run it's course. Unfortunately there were too many influential capitalists
worried about protecting their stolen property to let that happen.

Greg

"Mark Hickey" wrote:

> See, all that research on ad hominem attacks has done you some
> good. You're getting better at them.

It's great to see us moving on from /ad hominem/ to /tu quoque/.

John

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

> >Frank Krygowski [email protected]
> >
> >Isn't Crown Prince Abdullah of Saudi Arabia frequently listed as one of
> >the world's worst dictators?

> I don't want to live in that country because I value my freedom to dissent but
> "one of the world's worst dictators" is hyperbole. How many Saudis has he
> murdered? IIRC, Saddam had broken into the six figure range quite easily.

You seem to make Saddam's murders of his countrymen weigh more than
GW's murders of people outside his own country. I bet the deceaseds'
relatives don't make that distinction, and I don't either. If you
count all victims, then GW winds up in the ranks of the other evil
dictators, where he belongs. Even as "gubner", GW never missed a good
chance to execute an American, remember. It's easier to get away with
murdering foreign Muslims, though, so he's killed a lot more of those.

Sure, GW had his reasons (although he lied to the country about what
they were). Saddam had his reasons too. They were both wrong and
they're both evil. But only one of them is still in business, for the
moment anyway. I hope he gets to "tell it to the judge" at an
International Criminal Court war crimes trial following his defeat in
November, if not before.

Chalo Colina