funny things to do on a bike

Mon, 10 May 2004 23:39:57 -0700, <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Tom Keats) wrote, in part:

>> But, and I think Zoot is right in this, America is unique
>> in talking out of one side of its mouth and perpetrating
>> atrocities on the other hand, if that isn't a mixed
>> metaphor.
>
>I don't think America is so unique in that regard.

Me either, but it is the nation that's been most adept at
capitalizing on its atrocities.
--
zk

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sure. They'll see that we really DO take justice seriously
> when the folks who were responsible get punished. That's
> not the way it's worked for 30 years in Iraq.

There won't be anything like the sprouts of the seeds of
justice in Iraq until sometime after the US is out of there.
There is no retrieving a humane situation from a boondoggle
like this.

http://www.independent.org/tii/news/040511Higgs.html

Chalo Colina

>Sure. They'll see that we really DO take justice seriously
>when the folks who were responsible get punished. That's
>not the way it's worked for 30 years in Iraq.

Nah, man, they'll just behead a few more Americans on
television.

IMHO, the Abu Ghraib fiasco has basically put the last nail
in the coffin as far as the credibility of the US is
concerned with regard to the war in Iraq. It's not My Lai
but it doesn't have to be My Lai, all it has to be is a
major mistake.

If you think there's any chance of establishing a democracy
of any stripe in Iraq now that we've lost any hope of the
moral high ground, well, I think that's unrealistic.

We (Americans) don't have to convince Arabs that we are
strong and essentially brutal when it comes to war, that's a
given. And our enemies, our real enemies, respect that.

But our public relations suck. And our enemies are going to
exploit that all the way to the American living room, and
the Congress, just as has been done in the past.

We as a nation have never liked a shadow war, we like it
clear cut and obvious. But I suggest that our enemies know
that, there aren't any stupid planners in Al Qaeda.

But they are a deadly enemy that must be confronted, we
have not necessarily chosen our ground well but we are
attracting the enemy to us on that ground and we are
killing them. And, as is a maxim of war, we are doing the
official killing overseas.

I wish I could find a way to make this on topic. Or make
this into a bicycle metaphor.

Well, maybe I can. We're adjusting the derailleur when the
immediate problem was a flat, but the derailleur needed
adjusting.

But we can't ride until we fix the flat.

--